Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Ok, so we have had snow on the ground for several days now with more in the forecast. So far, much of SWMO has come to a grinding halt, with people using the weather as an excuse not to go to work, school, etc.

Personally, I have been out in it (yes driving), and it's really and truly not that bad. As long as you take it slow and stick to the main roads, driving is *not* an issue. In order to get to my humble homestead, it is even necessary to drive on secondary roads, and even *that* was not as bad as it could be.

I'm getting just a little bit tired of not being able to *do* anything because places are closed due to the weather. For instance, yesterday I had to take care of some business at the Stone County Health Department. They were "closed" due to inclement weather. The COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT (which is funded by my tax dollars, I might add), provides a necessary service to the citizens of Stone County. It seems to me that if *I* could get there that SOMEONE who works there could get there also, but NO.

Of course, I'm sure that the noble employees of the Stone County Health Department stayed HOME all day yesterday. No Walmart, no runs to the convenience store for cigarettes and beer. Oh, well - that doesn't count does it? It's just GOING TO WORK to DO YOUR JOB, that is far too much trouble and dangerous when there is snow on the ground.

What a bunch of lazy losers we have to deal with in this area. At times it makes me physically ill.

20yrsinBranson
Dear...Dear 20yrs...I agree with the sentiment behind your post, even if I do long to add a note of "the other guy's shoes" to balance things.

Cut me some slack...I'm a Libra.

We've ALSO had a few heart-stopping moments during this long weeks of winter madness when the loan was finally approved, the trucks were packed, the contingencies and title work and amendments and adjustments were all finally, precariously done...only to find that everything stops for the weather!

Many of the gov'ment offices have made blanket "snow day" policies that "if the schools are closed, then so are we"... But when you have a Storm of the Century (like we did last week) followed up by bitter cold 'n more snow here 'n there and now ANOTHER 6" of the white stuff...it's very wearing and one would wish the county and other local offices could just rent their most important employees a room in a nearby motel for a few days.

It all works out in the end, most times...even some of the big impersonal banks have had to cut us some slack.

Hopefully you've been able to get your county work done by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
Quote:
<snip>What a bunch of lazy losers we have to deal with in this area. At times it makes me physically ill.
Well I'm out here in Dallas TX right now and there was a little tiny bit of freezing rain just prior to a tiny bit of snowfall this am and guess what? All the schools and gubmit offices are closed but Lowes, Home Depot, Carls Jr, 7-11, Panda Express, Discount Tire, Joe's Donuts and countless other customer service and retail establishments I drove by today are open for business with employees showing up for work as scheduled so it certainly ain't just a MO thang Man, if only I could land one of those cushy government jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area