Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 AM

34 posts, read 106,929 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Springfield from a small town nearby and want to be close to Drury and OTC. I am also needing something cheap since right now I'm used to paying only $300 a month in rent.

I had seen a couple of place's to the west of Drury around Scott & Main Street. I know that it is an older neighborhood but is there much crime problems in this part of town? Driving through it seemed pretty calm but it was a rougher crowd. At the same time it felt comfortable to be in real neighborhood. People were talking to one another and kids playing outside. Neighbors don't seem to chat to much in the newer Springfield neighborhoods.

It seems that if I go to the south of Drury and OTC into the downtown area the prices skyrocket because of MSU. I'm wanting to stay at or under $350 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 05:03 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,680 times
Rent for under $350 .. wow .. I never heard of that anywhere before ..good luck! The places around me that rent like that are usually sleeping rooms or full of bugs!

Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,966 times
Besides the feedback that should get w/in this thread,,,
Check the local newspaper, look at where crimes seem to be prevelant.
Contact the local chapter of the The Alliance of Guardian Angels, inquire where/what their thoughts are.
The local CRIME STOPPERS for the Greater Springfield Area (broken link) might also be of help...
Call the local fuzz, they might also tell ya - depending upon who you talk with...

Might check out the following too:
City of Springfield, MO - Interactive Maps

Best to ya!

Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 17,482 times
nroden,

There are lots of places online you can go to to check out neighborhoods or even the specific crime history of a certain house ... you might also try:
National Sex Offender Registry or Greene County, Missouri ...

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2007, 04:43 PM

7 posts, read 31,208 times
All areas of springfield are fine, some north neighborhoods are older and have higher crime rates but are perfectly fine to live in. You'll be able to find reasonable apartments for around 350, just look around. It all just depends on what your standard of living is. Springfield is a very safe city, Ive walked around in the middle of the night in what is considered "bad" neighborhoods and its no big deal. This isnt Detroit or Memphis, dont let some snobs discourage you from living here just because you dont make alot of money.

Last edited by Yac; 07-29-2007 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: link removed, advertising not allowed

Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 AM

58 posts, read 146,322 times
I'm going to be moving to Springfield in the coming months I have heard that living south of town is better. I'm not worried about crime I just want to find a place away from town or a nice quiet apartment or condo that is not around college students, any suggestions?
I've checked out the prices of the average apartment and I'm floored; it's so cheap there. I pay over 800 a month for a small one bedroom apartment. Springfield seems like really good deal all around.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 PM

145 posts, read 655,556 times
I agree with El Shaggy, you can find a place that is very livable for $350 or even less if you are really lucky. Yes, there is crime in that area, but nothing horrible by any means (it's not like a major city bad neighborhood, put it that way). I think you will be just fine

Old 03-19-2014, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 8,865 times
Default Branson

What areas should be avoided in branson mo, relating crimes?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 PM

22 posts, read 88,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbydaleo View Post
What areas should be avoided in branson mo, relating crimes?
I would not consider any areas of Springfield or Branson "bad". Most lower income folks live on Springfield's north side... but it's perfectly safe day or night as long as you mind your business and don't look for trouble (in other words... use common sense like don't be hunting down prostitutes or meth). Most folks in that area are just trying to live their lives like you or I. Branson really has no "bad" areas to make specific mention of. It's mostly a resort community with only a small "core" population (few thousand) living there throughout the year. Most folks who work in Branson actually live in Springfield.

Both Springfield and Branson have excellent police departments and excellent response times.

I've been all over Springfield and Branson for 40 years now and there's really not a single area I would be "afraid" to be in at any time. You probably won't find me often walking down Commercial Street in Springfield around the old Hotel Missouri (aka Springfield's version of "skid row") after dark if it can be avoided... but I've done it safely making sure I was constantly aware of everything happening around me.

If I'm going to be "afraid" in Branson... it's going to be due to the horrendous traffic in that city during the spring and summer months... definitely NOT from crime! If any crime happens... it's usually pickpockets working the shows and events.

Last edited by swmoguns; 08-10-2014 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 AM

620 posts, read 1,232,298 times
There is no bad part of Branson. I have lived in town my whole life. Sure there are poor folk who try to make an honest living. Lots of trailer parks and small shacks...around mt. Branson, Hollister, rockaway beach ect. There are no bad parts of town. I feel safe in any part of town any time of the day. Just don't go down private roads and you'll be fine I would say the poorest parts of the Branson metro area are rockaway beach and Merriam woods. Also to expand on the poster above I don't know anyone who drives from Springfield to Branson to work. It's more like the other way around. Many in Branson drive to Springfield because all our jobs here are mainly tourism based seasonal jobs. We have a large work force that drives from northern Arkansas to work in Branson as there aren't many jobs there. I work in a large theater. Maybe 2/3 of our employees live in stone/Taney county. The rest are from Arkansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area