Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM

185 posts, read 348,039 times

Advertisements

I'm sure many of the people on here would have experience with this...

I've looked at Southern Missouri as a possible location for an off-the-gird location, probably something some of us would call a "doomstead".

Now, I've chosen Southern Missouri (and particularly the Springfield area) for its plentiful land and water, relatively cheap land prices, mild seasons (they are mild in comparison to Texas, right?), and within drivable distance of Texas (in the event if I have to Get Out of Dodge on advanced notice).

So I wondered how other survivalists and preppers rate Missouri.
Apparently it's not a good place if you're moving there for nuclear war survival.
Of course, an educated person would know that the reason for Missouri being a major target is Whitman AFB. Southern Missouri looks like it'd be in the path of the fallout.
Makes me have this vision... "And when he heard about the nuclear bombs going off [over Whitman AFB], he wished he bought a fallout shelter."

But I'm not prepping for nuclear war; I see it as a possibility, but if I was doomsteading there, I'd be more concerned about floods than fallout.
My reason for doomsteading is for an economic depression/collapse, complete dollar collapse, or post-peak oil societal collapse.
Neither am I prepping for a 2012 type event.

I was going to post this in the survivalism forum, but I thought the locals would have better advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post

I've looked at Southern Missouri as a possible location for an off-the-gird location, probably something some of us would call a "doomstead".

Now, I've chosen Southern Missouri (and particularly the Springfield area) for its plentiful land and water, relatively cheap land prices, mild seasons (they are mild in comparison to Texas, right?), and within drivable distance of Texas (in the event if I have to Get Out of Dodge on advanced notice).

Apparently it's not a good place if you're moving there for nuclear war survival.
Of course, an educated person would know that the reason for Missouri being a major target is Whitman AFB. Southern Missouri looks like it'd be in the path of the fallout.
Makes me have this vision... "And when he heard about the nuclear bombs going off [over Whitman AFB], he wished he bought a fallout shelter."

But I'm not prepping for nuclear war; I see it as a possibility, but if I was doomsteading there, I'd be more concerned about floods than fallout.
My reason for doomsteading is for an economic depression/collapse, complete dollar collapse, or post-peak oil societal collapse.

I was going to post this in the survivalism forum, but I thought the locals would have better advice.
I really think it belongs on the Survivalist forum and/or the Mental Health forum. Meanwhile, you might want to read up on cloud top and bottom angles and effective wind messages.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,772,743 times
The OP obviously doesn't know about the defense contractor's huge concrete home/bunker under contruction in the immediate Springfield area. Perhaps he knows something the OP doesn't?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,017,427 times
There are air force bases everywhere. I think if we get nuked, it would be on the coasts.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM

23 posts, read 52,567 times
There are a lot of folks like yourself in SW Missouri.
There was just a big preparedness expo in Springfield. Here is the link to more info

GetPreparedEXPO.com - Education in Preparedness. What happens next is up to you.

Here is another expo: Exhibitors List (http://www.bepreparedexpo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&It emid=29 - broken link)

Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,298,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BcuzHelives View Post
There are a lot of folks like yourself in SW Missouri.
There was just a big preparedness expo in Springfield. Here is the link to more info

GetPreparedEXPO.com - Education in Preparedness. What happens next is up to you.

Here is another expo: Exhibitors List (http://www.bepreparedexpo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&It emid=29 - broken link)

Maybe I'm not the person to comment on this because getting nuked is not on my list of things to worry about, and believe me, I'm good at manufacturing things to worry about. If I lived in Springfield or SW Missouri, I'd be far more concerned about the weather than anything else.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,772,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Maybe I'm not the person to comment on this because getting nuked is not on my list of things to worry about, and believe me, I'm good at manufacturing things to worry about. If I lived in Springfield or SW Missouri, I'd be far more concerned about the weather than anything else.
The comparison between severe storms/tornados and a nuclear disaster is actually an appropriate one and preparedness steps would initially be quite similar in regard to having a bunker/safe room. Fugita studied the blast/debris fields of nuclear bomb when developing his scale to measure tornados.

Open your mind and widen your perspective.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post

[URL="http://www.ki4u.com/nuclearsurvival/states/mo.htm"]Apparently it's not a good place if you're moving there for nuclear war survival.[/URL]

You do know that there are probably about 25 other cities bigger than Springfield that don't have shelters and have a higher chance of getting nuked or whatever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area