Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,123 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are deciding to rent out a house in the Springfield area. We have a lot of options open in terms of location of Springfield. We're just looking to stay beneath $500 a month.

To be honest, I like knowing as much as I possibly can. I've scoured ads and started researching a place I actually liked by 417 Rentals (Chris Gatley?) I was extremely surprised by what I found about renting out a place before it was bought. It sounds like a nightmare. Which is why I came here.

I was curious if anyone knew of good or bad things about the realtors here? We're looking to move by or before August 15th 2011.

I'd appreciate anything. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
I'm sure the real estate agents and their friends here will beat me over the head for saying this, but I don't see why you would even need a real estate agent to find a rental. Check the Springfield News Leader newspaper (it's online), and maybe Craigslist.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 34,598 times
Depthcrush, I'm also looking. Are you already in the area? Anything you find out, pass along. We can tag team those rentals. I need a place that accepts dogs at 50lbs. That limits me some. I like the price range you are looking at. I will be working in central Springfield so open to surrounding areas. I've checked out the 417 properties also. I have someone in the area that is going to doing some looking for me but I only have a couple weeks. Keep in touch and we'll see if we can help each other with the search as well as the kind folks on this forum!!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,947 times
Well before you rent from one of the agencies check their BBB rating. 417 rentals has an F rating. Metro housing has a D and possibly Debco also. There are plenty of places on Craigslist that you can check. RGB rentals is good from what I have read.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,123 times
First of all, thank you verrry much for the replies.

christina0001, I have done that very thing. Which is why I came here. It isn't just real estate agents, I misspoke. I had meant, someone with a company or someone with a good reputation. It's a lease, I'm stuck with this landlord like they're stuck with me. If I need them, I want them to have my back. Just like I would be a decent tenant (or try my utmost to be so.)

arizdolphin, I best advice (which is actually my Mother's..) is to drive in the neighborhood you'd like to live in and collect phone numbers. I had some off chances of being lead from one person to another to help me find exactly what I'm looking for. As for the pets, I can't say much as it's touch and go with each landlord.

jkiss, I did that also! I didn't know about Metro Housing-- so thank you. And I will check out RGB.

My responses may be days apart, or at random, as I do not have internet at home.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:51 PM

OMG! i got the job if I want it BUT.....a $7.00/hr cut in pay. I know the cost of living is a little less but not that much. I was looking at rentals and what 500.00 will get me here will cost about 400.00 in Springfield. I am not sure about taxes, food, gas, insurance, etc., but right now, I could just cry. I didn't know wages were that much lower. No matter how I crunch the numbers, I don't think I can make it.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 AM

548 posts, read 1,037,947 times
Yep col is cheaper but so are the wages. My DD moved here she lasted 2 months because the wages were not able to afford her a place to live and all the necessities that go with it. Really sad. The only reason we were able to make it work for us is my husband has a job that pays alot for Missouri standards. If we were to have chosen California over Missouri we wouldn't have been able to make it.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 PM

141 posts, read 426,269 times
First I say what I always say about wages. A cut in wage may be a temporary thing just to see how serious you are. Grant it $7 is steep for a pay cut. But without know the job or how saturated or unsaturated this area is for that type of job I can not comment any further on that.

Regarding housing. We moved up here in January for my husband to take a job, and debated between renting a house or an apartment. And even though a house would be nice because of more privacy, and more freedom for my daughter to make noise without disturbing other people I chose to go with an apartment. Mainly because my husband is too busy between work and starting school in the fall to mess with the typical up keep that comes with a house with a yard. We live in Coryell Courts, we being me my husband, our 4 year old daughter, a lab mutt (55 lbs) and a grey (12lb) cat. And it has worked out fine for the most part. The rent is a little less than we were paying on our mortgage and the apartment is about the same square footage as our old house.

I noticed on here that one person started the thread and another said "keep me informed because I am looking too" Well maybe find a neutral place to meet and try and get to know each other and see if a friendship can form and maybe be room mates.

In closing I will say I use to be in the real estate business (in South Mississippi) and you get what you pay for, and $500 (there) would not get you much. Also one final place to check for places to live is the police station. Find out the high crime/drug areas.

Good Luck

Old 06-09-2011, 02:03 AM

I looked at Coryell but don't remember them taking that large of a dog. That would work out perfect if they would. Yes, between a house or apt. I keep going back and fourth and with only two left to get there and get set up, I was hoping something would happen soon. I have a list of places that I will ask for advice on tomorrow. Right now, I'm falling asleep. Best I do just that. Night all.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:28 PM

141 posts, read 426,269 times
We have only been in Coryell for a couple of months but I can assure you they take big dogs. Whether they admit it or not. My dog is 55lbs, and we have never had an issue with him. But if your dog is over 50lbs tell them it is not over 50lbs because they are not going to weigh it. I think I told them our dog was not over 50lbs when we were looking at the apartment. But out of all the apartments I looked at Coryell was the only one who did not seem to have a problem with big dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area