Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:39 AM

37 posts, read 132,857 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I will be moving to Springfiled next month from Phoenix, AZ. I have never lived some place with a cold winter so I don't really know what to expect. How cold is an average day in the winter? Since I don't own much cold weather clothing, what kind of jacket would be adequate for the winter? A wool coat, down jacket, leather jacket.....? Do I need gloves or anything to walk around during the day? I really have NO idea what I am in for. Also, does it get much snow? Please help!

Thanks,
Jessicas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 01:16 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
Jessicas - welcome and greetings!

Here are a few examples of what to expect...

Your path to work:

Preferred mode of travel in Missouri:

Therefore, whatcha might wanna have in your closet:

Ok, just kidding... sortof... Seriously, should expect [worst case times] bitter winds, freezing rain, snow [but nothing of too much accumulations], etc. So, yes, gloves and then, what I recommend, is layering - shirt, sweater, and a heavier jacket/coat, w/ boots and gloves. Thing is that weather is very changeable, esp. in that area - morn you wake up and go to work it be one thing, afterwards heading home of evening be another... [I am refraining, but not going to succeed in comparing this to women, but,,, I am trying!!! ].

I imagine since you are here on this forum, that you have you seen the info at city-data.com itself too regarding weather? Another helpful site is: Winter Weather Awareness Day 2005 Which is not meant to scare/worry you, but just to share some info of what to potentially expect. Worst, IMHO, is that Springfield is in that band that gets freezing rain - and that is quite nasty and dangerous, so be prepared for that. Again this is just worst case scenerios. Normally, vast majority of the days, would say not bad at all there - of course, I am speaking from the perspective of currently living in northeastern Indiana...

Hope that has helped somewhat
Hobbes

Old 08-09-2007, 01:40 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Winter conditions in southern Missouri are generally fairly mild. The temperatures can get occasionally below zero, but would not last long at all. Their are many days in the winter that are above 50F. Expect about 10-15 inches of snow during the winter with occasional freezing rain and sleet events. The climate of southern Missouri is not similar to the Midwest at all. The Midwest has much longer winters and many more days with snowcover on the ground.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:42 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post

Your path to work:

Actually, that road picture is similar to what you would see in the Upper Midwest in the snowbelt areas of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan! Some areas receive up to 300 inches of snow every winter and the cars can occasionally look like they are driving through tunnels

Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 PM

354 posts, read 324,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicas3 View Post
Hello all,
I will be moving to Springfiled next month from Phoenix, AZ. I have never lived some place with a cold winter so I don't really know what to expect. How cold is an average day in the winter? Since I don't own much cold weather clothing, what kind of jacket would be adequate for the winter? A wool coat, down jacket, leather jacket.....? Do I need gloves or anything to walk around during the day? I really have NO idea what I am in for. Also, does it get much snow? Please help!

Thanks,
Jessicas
Until your body gets used to the climate change, you will absolutely freeze even if it isn't so cold to most others in the area. The first year will be the worse, more than likely. Once your body becomes accustomed to the colder and more humid climate it woun't be so bad.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,231 times
Default See Excessive Heat Warnings...

We kinda got off thread in the above mentioned post:

In Answer to Q:

Scoop is, my opinion, you get used to whatever you have to deal with.
I moved here from Sacramento, having also lived at Lake Tahoe, so I'm thinkin I'm cool with cold.

The hardest thing to get used to is the unpredictability! You just never know what it's going to be like! The drastic temperature changes, from hot to cold or vice versa...but that's part of the adventure!

After 3 years here, I moved to upstate New York for a year. I moved in July. From mid December THRU February, it averaged -25 every morning. (That is MINUS 25 degrees...). January was -40 ACTUAL temperature EVERY morning...then factor in the wind chill. I remember one day the high temp was -18...we were working in -60 wind chill. They don't even bury people in the winter 'cause the ground freezes so deep.

The following winter, back in Missouri, I was in shirt sleeves all winter! People would be griping about the cold...it's 20 degrees or something...I'm like HEY! you ain't seen cold!

But...by a couple of winters later, +20 seems cold again.

You acclimate. No biggie.

Seriously Jess...check p 6 of the above mentioned thread.
(Hey...fellas...how do I put the link here?)

S'not that bad.
C'ept once 't while.
But it don't last.

You'll see.
Thanks for checking in...it'll be good to have you in this glorious state.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post

Your path to work:

Preferred mode of travel in Missouri:

Therefore, whatcha might wanna have in your closet:

Ok, just kidding... sortof... Seriously, should expect [worst case times] bitter winds, freezing rain, snow [but nothing of too much accumulations], etc. So, yes, gloves and then, what I recommend, is layering - shirt, sweater, and a heavier jacket/coat, w/ boots and gloves. Thing is that weather is very changeable, esp. in that area - morn you wake up and go to work it be one thing, afterwards heading home of evening be another... [I am refraining, but not going to succeed in comparing this to women, but,,, I am trying!!! ].

I imagine since you are here on this forum, that you have you seen the info at city-data.com itself too regarding weather? Another helpful site is: Winter Weather Awareness Day 2005 Which is not meant to scare/worry you, but just to share some info of what to potentially expect. Worst, IMHO, is that Springfield is in that band that gets freezing rain - and that is quite nasty and dangerous, so be prepared for that. Again this is just worst case scenerios. Normally, vast majority of the days, would say not bad at all there - of course, I am speaking from the perspective of currently living in northeastern Indiana...

Hope that has helped somewhat
Hobbes
Hobbes? Where the heck are you?
Have you ever lived in SW MO???????????????????????????????
The most I've seen was that memorable 17" snow we got 4 years ago 10 days before Christmas!
Yas gonna scare that poor girl...and make her buy unnecessary items of clothing...
Layering. That's the ticket!

An what's this crack about women??????????
Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:46 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,482 times
Default My winters in MO

The first time I lived in MO it was up towards St. Louis where, being fresh from San Jose CA , my idea of "winter clothing" was a windbreaker! So I bought sweaters, a wool coat, a ski parka, gloves, hats, and scarves. For the most part all of that was WAY too warm even for there which is colder than here in the Branson Springfield area.

I have found that homes, stores, etc..are kept way too warm in the winter for my tastes. It's only when you are actually OUT in the weather that you need a coat and gloves...perhaps a hat depending on how long your planning on being outside.

What I ended up with, as others are saying, was a wardrobe that could be layered. Sometimes you will need a long coat, sometimes a light jacket with a sweater. Sometime you may want gloves, sometimes not.

Every time we would come down to the Branson area, we needed even less (except once around '82' where there was snow measured in feet for a few days).

This time I moved here from Las Vegas NV and the only changes I plan to my wardrobe is a warmer jacket (LV does have cold nights in the winter and has occasional snow). I would plan on a warm coat, gloves, a scarf, and a hat to start with. Experience a winter before you buy a wardrobe. You'll have to adapt to the more humid summers. They aren't too bad, but cotton is the word when buying clothes.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:26 PM

15 posts, read 59,431 times
Default MO Weather????? Land near...Horse Trails??

I am looking to buy land in Alton MO, near Springfield, the main appeal is the Mark Twain Trail sytems and remote location, mild winters, low taxes and lack of building restrictions, hassles. Also my focus in doing so is to attain milder winter conditions to ride my horses from NOV-April, I am from SE WI, and the winters bring life to a dead halt (horse trail riding anyway) come Nov-early March or so. Mainly the issue is ice and harsh winds/cold. My feet just cant stay warm long enough to ride more than a few miles, and then take hours to melt again.
I am going to see 5 acres, sure would like more, need not be much pasture land , prefer wooded and hilly, remote and private, kids are grown to no need for schools or much of any conveniences. A hour drive to Walmart or HD and I am all set. If anyone has an ideal are in mind please suggest.
Any thoughts.
Sibl
SE WI
EnduranceNut@wi.rr.com

Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 AM

37 posts, read 132,857 times
Whew...! You scared me there for a minute Hobbes! I ALMOST started panicing! That was pretty funny though! Its easy to scare a desert dweller with photos like that!
Thanks to everyone for your replies! I appreciate all of the information. I will be coming to visit this Friday through next Wednesday to check it out and find a place to live. I hear its REALLY hot right now. I am interested to see how the heat and humidity compares to the dry AZ heat. Thanks again to everyone for your help! I look forward to moving to your state!
Jessica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area