Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 10:45 AM

27 posts, read 47,703 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the East coast, my husband is from the L.A. Area. We have both lived in central Mo. for over 20 years..
Although we have made the inconveniences "bearable", we still do not like the attitude of the central area.
We have been to Branson many times and I can tell you it is like the difference of day and night. Branson is full of people (natives) who respect others and God and country, but they don't shove it down your throat. If you are catholic or Luthern or whatever , they are O.K. with you worshipping in your own church . They will not treat you inferior because you are not baptist or Evangalistic much like the center parts of the state. They are just relieved you do worship in some way and have some good christian beliefs. Yep, they are not real understanding of non christian religions but they will sit and talk to you and try to see the other viewpoint. This is ironic when you consider Columbia Missouri has a full population of Muslims with their own mosque for over thirty years.

I think anyone making a move to Branson will find it to be a very friendly place and will fit in sooner or later. Just remember " when in Rome do as the Romans do". That saying applies to anywhere in the world.
I think it is also a good idea to point out that many of the people in Branson now ( year round residents) are actually from other states. There are some wonderfully well educated individuals holding down some very important positions for both the county and the city. I see this as progress for Branson. They saw a chance to get some sterling credentials working for their community and were smart enough to hire them. Much like the West coast, east coast Northern and Southern states do. It is not about who you are or who we are.
It is about being a part of a community and thankfully Branson has intelligent city forefathers who look to make their community the best . They lost that small town selfish mentality that can still be found in any small, rural, run down town in America. Because of that factor Branson is a delightful place to both visit and live. Everone needs to realize when you relocate, you are leaving what you know and going to new experiences. keep an open mind you will do fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 AM

20 posts, read 58,310 times
Hello folks, Greeniis here! I had promised to come back here to let you all know how my experience in Branson went. Well it didn't! I could not bring myself to go there for even a few months. My job offer was for December through mid April. If I liked it and they liked me it would become permanent. I was planning on spending the months of October through December visiting my daughter in Eugene, oregon. Eugene is my cup of tea! I liked it so much that I found work here and purchased a home and I'm here to stay.

I wanted to thank all of you for your input. It really helped me realize that a round peg cannot fit in a square hole. I am a patriotic, lesbian, atheist, liberal democrat and I know my place. And it is not in Branson, Mo. I know most of you will say you are happy that I didn't come there and spoil it. Well, I'm glad you are happy. I certainly am!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniis View Post
Hello folks, Greeniis here! I had promised to come back here to let you all know how my experience in Branson went. Well it didn't! I could not bring myself to go there for even a few months. My job offer was for December through mid April. If I liked it and they liked me it would become permanent. I was planning on spending the months of October through December visiting my daughter in Eugene, oregon. Eugene is my cup of tea! I liked it so much that I found work here and purchased a home and I'm here to stay.

I wanted to thank all of you for your input. It really helped me realize that a round peg cannot fit in a square hole. I am a patriotic, lesbian, atheist, liberal democrat and I know my place. And it is not in Branson, Mo. I know most of you will say you are happy that I didn't come there and spoil it. Well, I'm glad you are happy. I certainly am!
Probably a good "move" on your part but the main thing is your being content with your choice. There are decidedly regional differences and we all have to find places where we're comfortable. Eugene is a very nice location. Enjoy! Happy about your decision to not move to this area? No! Happy that you're someplace you feel comfortable and happy? Yes!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:02 AM

20 posts, read 58,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Probably a good "move" on your part but the main thing is your being content with your choice. There are decidedly regional differences and we all have to find places where we're comfortable. Eugene is a very nice location. Enjoy! Happy about your decision to not move to this area? No! Happy that you're someplace you feel comfortable and happy? Yes!
Thanks Curmudgeon, I really expected to hear a smart ass response. Your sincere good wishes are most welcome. I will definitely be putting Branson on my list of vacation spots. I have heard how beautiful that part of the country is and I'm looking forward to seeing it sometime.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks Curmudgeon, I really expected to hear a smart ass response. Your sincere good wishes are most welcome. I will definitely be putting Branson on my list of vacation spots. I have heard how beautiful that part of the country is and I'm looking forward to seeing it sometime.
I have my moments but I am a curmudgeon, after all.

As for a visit to Branson, that will put you smack-dab in the center of the Ozarks which is a very unique and beautiful region. When the time comes, give a yell and perhaps we can guide you to some interesting and lovely areas that aren't tourist-centered and will give you a better idea of the local culture. But one place you'll have to visit for sure is Eureka Springs, AR. It's roughly an hour south of Branson, almost all Victorian, very "progressive, gorgeous and I think you'd love it.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxysr View Post
I think it is also a good idea to point out that many of the people in Branson now ( year round residents) are actually from other states. There are some wonderfully well educated individuals holding down some very important positions for both the county and the city. I see this as progress for Branson. They saw a chance to get some sterling credentials working for their community and were smart enough to hire them. Much like the West coast, east coast Northern and Southern states do. It is not about who you are or who we are.
It is about being a part of a community and thankfully Branson has intelligent city forefathers who look to make their community the best . They lost that small town selfish mentality that can still be found in any small, rural, run down town .
What you're saying: When you get rid of the Missourians, Missouri is a bearable place.

But I'm supposed to welcome you.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
I am a patriotic, lesbian, atheist, liberal democrat and I know my place. And it is not in Branson, Mo. I know most of you will say you are happy that I didn't come there and spoil it. Well, I'm glad you are happy. I certainly am!
Thank you. Spread the word. Get more people to move to Eugene.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxysr View Post
I am originally from the East coast, my husband is from the L.A. Area. We have both lived in central Mo. for over 20 years..
Although we have made the inconveniences "bearable", we still do not like the attitude of the central area.
We have been to Branson many times and I can tell you it is like the difference of day and night. Branson is full of people (natives) who respect others and God and country, but they don't shove it down your throat. If you are catholic or Luthern or whatever , they are O.K. with you worshipping in your own church . They will not treat you inferior because you are not baptist or Evangalistic much like the center parts of the state. They are just relieved you do worship in some way and have some good christian beliefs. Yep, they are not real understanding of non christian religions but they will sit and talk to you and try to see the other viewpoint. This is ironic when you consider Columbia Missouri has a full population of Muslims with their own mosque for over thirty years.

I think anyone making a move to Branson will find it to be a very friendly place and will fit in sooner or later. Just remember " when in Rome do as the Romans do". That saying applies to anywhere in the world.
It is about being a part of a community and thankfully Branson has intelligent city forefathers who look to make their community the best . They lost that small town selfish mentality that can still be found in any small, rural, run down town in America. Because of that factor Branson is a delightful place to both visit and live. Everone needs to realize when you relocate, you are leaving what you know and going to new experiences. keep an open mind you will do fine.
Perhaps it's my age but I'm confused. On the one hand, native Missourians have a bad attitude and you barely found the place bearable. On the other hand, Branson is full of natives but also has lots of people who aren't natives but the ones that are natives are "wonderfully well educated individuals holding down some very important positions for both the county and the city."

So what I read here says that our small towns and villages have to lose what you describe as a "small town selfish mentality" and become "progressive" like the Left Coast and East Coast in order to achieve the exalted status of being considered bearable - rid themselves of what's worked for generations and makes each one unique. Then in the next breath you counsel keeping an open mind. That seems entirely non sequitur.

My wife and I have traveled to, visited and spent time in as many small, Ozark towns and villages as we can in the almost three years we've lived here. Never have we been treated with anything but kindness, helpfulness and welcome. I have to wonder about those who say they haven't been.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Branson is like Las Vegas if Ned Flanders ran it

-- Bart Simpson

Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 AM

419 posts, read 1,181,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
What you're saying: When you get rid of the Missourians, Missouri is a bearable place.

But I'm supposed to welcome you.
Good one, OB!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area