Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,082 times

Advertisements

I've just started a new job as a courier for airlines to deliver late luggages to passengers. The company has asked me if i'm interested in managing the Springfield branch of operations and i accepted the offer.

But thinking a bit more and talking to a few people, i realized Springfield is dependent on tourism and the fall and winter seasons might see the number of tourists decline sharply. As my income is dependent on the number of deliveries made, i've come to realize that moving to Springfield might not be a good idea.

So what i want to know, am i right to assume about the tourists number declining during fall and winter seasons? Or will the number of tourists stay the same year round? And the tourists that i refer will be those that are flying in from the Springfield-Branson Regional Airport.

I'm about 60% made up my mind to move, as I could really use the fresh start from Tulsa, Oklahoma. So any info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:07 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmartono View Post
I've just started a new job as a courier for airlines to deliver late luggages to passengers. The company has asked me if i'm interested in managing the Springfield branch of operations and i accepted the offer.

But thinking a bit more and talking to a few people, i realized Springfield is dependent on tourism and the fall and winter seasons might see the number of tourists decline sharply. As my income is dependent on the number of deliveries made, i've come to realize that moving to Springfield might not be a good idea.

So what i want to know, am i right to assume about the tourists number declining during fall and winter seasons? Or will the number of tourists stay the same year round? And the tourists that i refer will be those that are flying in from the Springfield-Branson Regional Airport.

I'm about 60% made up my mind to move, as I could really use the fresh start from Tulsa, Oklahoma. So any info is greatly appreciated.
Springfield really is not dependent upon a huge tourism market, I don't think other than people visiting Branson. Since Branson opened it's own airport, the demand for air transportation through Springfield has lessened somewhat, although, I don't think it has made a huge impact.

If we are talking Branson here, then the tourism traffic does not fall off until after Xmas. February - April it is non-existent.

Springfield is the third largest city in Missouri. I would expect that business travel far exceeds tourism as a source of airline traffic. There are some major corporations that are home based in Springfield (Bass Pro, Prime Trucking, not to mention this is the national headquarters for the Assemblies of God Church). Except for the odd, insane ice storm that usually happens in January and/or February, I would say that the number of flights is fairly consistent.

The cost of living is so low here that if you are making more than...say....$50,000 you can live well (depending on your lifestyle, of course).

We do have those pesky spring tornadoes, but living in Tulsa, you are probably well acquainted with the sound of the emergency shelter siren!

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-20-2011, 11:11 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Fall is a gorgeous time in the Ozarks perhaps the best season of all, and draws people to the area to enjoy the relatively mild temperatures and colors. Winter may be slim-pickings as the weather can turn nasty with snow, ice storms, etc. and decidedly cold temperatures at times.

The airports should be able to give you history/forecasts of travel volume.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 PM

200 posts, read 447,597 times
Most Springfield travel seems to be business related, you should be fine!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
Another aspect of the tourism travel is the people wanting to LEAVE Missouri during the winter for warmer climates. With Dallas being a major hub for flights to the Yucatan Peninsula and the Caribbean, I would think the Springfield airport would see a lot of that kind of traffic in Jan-March.
I know when the wind cuts through me in February, and I look up at a plane heading south, I sigh and think "they are probably headed for Cancun"!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Another aspect of the tourism travel is the people wanting to LEAVE Missouri during the winter for warmer climates. With Dallas being a major hub for flights to the Yucatan Peninsula and the Caribbean, I would think the Springfield airport would see a lot of that kind of traffic in Jan-March.
I know when the wind cuts through me in February, and I look up at a plane heading south, I sigh and think "they are probably headed for Cancun"!
Many people also go West or North for skiing and snowboarding. Winter in the lower Midwest and upland South is always bad because temperatures are marginial, no winter greenery (few pine trees in most areas), and very little in the way of consistent snowpack and snowfall (way too brown for me).

Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 AM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times
Default Jan/Feb/March

I think you would enjoy the area and the Springfield Airport seems
to be about as busy as the Tulsa airport (Tulsa is a favorite to use if your going west due to Southwest).

Tourism traffic does slow down into the area during the winter. Branson continues to draw visitors via the Springfield airport. The Branson airport
is heavily working to draw those same visitors into their airport, but for
some flights/areas, Springfield is still easier.

However, if you look at some of the airlines, the flights into/out of warmer climates increase. For example. One airlines only flies once per week to Las Vegas in the summer. During the winter, that increases to four flights a week. They have also added several flights to AZ, So. Cal., etc.

Generally speaking, I think one type of travel offsets another between tourist seasons. Like others have said...lots of people travel out of the area in the months that tourism slows down here.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 PM

186 posts, read 465,970 times
And if you're a single person, you can live pretty well here for a lot less than $50K (I almost choked when I saw that number above). I make less than that, and I have no problems.

And I don't think most of our flights are tourism-based....we get a lot of business flights, and those don't really dwindle in the fall/winter.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,082 times
Thank you all for the info! I've decided to take the job and i'm moving next monday!

Going to try and rent a room near the airport for a couple of months, then i'll want to get my own place after i'm all comfortable and somewhat familiar with Springfield.

This should be fun! Thanks again to all who posted on this thread!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmartono View Post
Thank you all for the info! I've decided to take the job and i'm moving next monday!

Going to try and rent a room near the airport for a couple of months, then i'll want to get my own place after i'm all comfortable and somewhat familiar with Springfield.

This should be fun! Thanks again to all who posted on this thread!
Best of luck. Most of all, enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area