Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 PM

41 posts, read 121,381 times

Advertisements

I am looking at jobs available in Springfield and was just curious how the weather would compare to Nebraska and Iowa, the only two places I've ever lived (Omaha and Ames/Des Moines, to be specific). I would particularly like to hear from anybody who has lived in those areas and could compare. Bad storms obviously don't bother me at all (even the loudest thunder doesn't wake me up), and I'm very familiar with the "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes" idea, as it's the same where I'm from!

Main things I was wondering: When are the seasons? For example, up here I would consider Dec-March as winter, April-May is spring, June-midSeptember is summer, and mid-Sep-November is Fall; though it can be 70 degrees in December or snow in April, so take that with a grain of salt....). How humid is it in the summer? Nebraska and Iowa are quite humid. Anytime I've visited St. Louis, it seemed even worse there. Where would Springfield sit in comparison to those?

What is considered "cold" in the wintertime? How often/how much snow do you see (or is ice more likely)?

I don't mind the cold, but my hubby grew up in a military family and moved all over. He got spoiled living in San Antonio and is sick of -10 degree days and a foot of snow on the ground from January to March !! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:47 PM

No takers??

Old 09-08-2011, 09:16 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
I moved here in june 2010 fron north central Illinois........Almost straight across from you in Des Moine. The winters here are much milder{Springfield}
Warms up sooner in the spring and gets colder later in the fall..........
People here freaked last winter when we actually got about 4 inches of snow to stick.After Illinois this is very mild. Although this summer no rain....... but i guess that is all over.......

Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 PM

914 posts, read 2,205,866 times
Figure any given day will be 10 deg. warmer than in Des Moines - July/Aug. excepted.

Humidity in the summer is one of the least attractive features of S.W. Mo. 60% or so must be normal, and 80+% humidity is not all that uncommon. St. Louis is about the same.

There is no such thing as a "normal" winter here, but if there were you might expect three or four 4" snowfalls and one "big one" of 8-12". Or it might only snow once or twice. Or it might snow often enough to keep the ground snow covered for a couple of weeks. We do get significantly less snow than anywhere north of the Missouri River. Perhaps half as much.

"Cold" here is anything below 30 deg. We had a couple of -10 deg. nights last winter, which has not happened for a while. It tends to be a somewhat damp cold, with lots of overcast days - I find it a bit dispiriting.

But it is not unusual to get a spell of nice weather in late December or January with sunshine and highs in the 50's. Almost any major cold spells in March or later will last just a few days. Real winter weather is usually kind enough to delay its arrival until after Christmas.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the input guys/gals. I was hoping for a little relief from the humidity, but I guess I'd be outta luck! And weitzfc, if you think it's cold there, I don't think you'd want to live up here, lol!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Default Weather in Springfield

Yes! There is some.

SW MO decidedly has four distinct seasons and from our perspective, none are particularly harsh. Summer is our least favorite but the other three more than make up for it and are easily bearable and kinda fun. Enjoy!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,554 times
I generally think of the seasons as: spring-March thru May, summer-June through August, fall-Sept thru Nov, winter-Dec thru Feb.
That said, we took our kayaks out year the day after Christmas when it was 70 degrees. And there have been snowfalls in late April and Halloween.

How it can still be humid when we haven't had rain for 30 days, I don't know. But it happens! Just work outside early morning and evenings, and do indoor stuff during the heat of the day. Those sultry summer nights are great for swimming!
We do get a lot of ice, sometimes bad ice storms. The snow GENERALLY doesn't stick around long, but last year proves that anything can happen in Missouri!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area