Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,922 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Springfield area for a couple of years. I now live in a very rural area of Virgina and while the Chesapeake Bay is beautiful the scarcity of rental property in this area has driven up housing costs. I'm strongly considering returning to Missouri but this time I'd like to try Branson. I very much enjoy interacting with people from different places with broad life experience and it seems that housing costs are more manageable. Can anyone speak to the experience of living in Branson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 PM

144 posts, read 552,426 times
Branson is a great place to visit. I also think it can be a great place to live. In my opinion, I would live just outside of Branson (Hollister, Forsyth, or even Ozark, MO). Having lived in the Branson area for many years, I can tell you that during "season" (April-Christmas), the traffic in Branson can be very frustrating. As a local, you are constantly having to fight traffic and long lines if you want to just run to the store (and no parking spaces), and running out to dinner can take much longer because of all the tourists in town. During the "off season" the traffic is much less and it is easier to run to the store (or wherever you wish to go). HOWEVER, some businesses are closed during the off season.

I think Branson is beautiful. Their school district is good, and there is affordable housing. Table Rock Lake is the best. The big thing for me is the traffic and tourists. I just hate having to fight traffic and tourists any time I want to get out. IF you are someone who doesn't get out a whole lot, then you could easily live out of the way of all the tourist traffic and relax in Branson.

IF you just want an affordable rental in an area close to the Branson area without all the tourist traffic, I would highly recommend Nixa or Ozark. Both are within 20-30 minutes of Branson.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Not in Branson but close (right on Table Rock Lake). Wouldn't want to live any closer to Branson than the 20+ miles away we are now but we value the peace, quiet, serenety, civility, beauty and preponderance of nature we have where we are.

Y'all drop by the general area, spend lots of your money to help the local economy then return to your homes with happy memories. We'uns 'preciate it. Thank you!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Branson is big enough. Urban sprawl is in order.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Branson is big enough. Urban sprawl is in order.
Keep it in FL. I belongs there!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,922 times
Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,314 times
Please let me know if you move to the Branson area

Old 12-31-2011, 09:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tara311 View Post
I lived in the Springfield area for a couple of years. I now live in a very rural area of Virgina and while the Chesapeake Bay is beautiful the scarcity of rental property in this area has driven up housing costs. I'm strongly considering returning to Missouri but this time I'd like to try Branson. I very much enjoy interacting with people from different places with broad life experience and it seems that housing costs are more manageable. Can anyone speak to the experience of living in Branson?
Branson, despite its recent nationwide fame, is not an easy place for "outsiders" to live. Most of the people who move there from somewhere else stick with their own or gravitate to other people who have relocated. You are either Branson elite, Branson trash or an outsider. Yes there are outsiders who own and operate businesses and they are accepted because they pump money into the economy. But they are never part of the Branson insider elite group - EVER- and people are delusional who think they are.

That having been said, you say that you enjoy interacting with people from different places...well, you will get plenty of that here. Be advised that unless you are a "professional" or a "business owner" or (a timeshare salesman), you aren't going to make much more than $8 per hour ($10 if you are incredibly lucky). Housing is economical, depending on your needs and fairly plentiful. ($400 a month gets you a fairly decent apartment, $600 a fairly nice condo or house).

Jobs during "the season" are plentiful, but there is very little in the way of work available in January, February or March. Most people go on unemployment during that time or relocate to other areas. During the season if you don't mind doing housekeeping, hotel front desk, waiting tables or doing "OPC" work for timeshares you can get a job if you have a pulse. Good jobs are scarce and year round jobs very rare, indeed.

Like anyplace else, it has its good points and bad. If you are a fisherman or boating enthusiast, there really isn't a better place to live. But if you enjoy cultural things, you will be spending a lot of time in Springfield, because culture is not something that Branson is noted for.

DM me if you want any other information.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM

34 posts, read 71,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Branson, despite its recent nationwide fame, is not an easy place for "outsiders" to live. Most of the people who move there from somewhere else stick with their own or gravitate to other people who have relocated. You are either Branson elite, Branson trash or an outsider. Yes there are outsiders who own and operate businesses and they are accepted because they pump money into the economy. But they are never part of the Branson insider elite group - EVER- and people are delusional who think they are.

That having been said, you say that you enjoy interacting with people from different places...well, you will get plenty of that here. Be advised that unless you are a "professional" or a "business owner" or (a timeshare salesman), you aren't going to make much more than $8 per hour ($10 if you are incredibly lucky). Housing is economical, depending on your needs and fairly plentiful. ($400 a month gets you a fairly decent apartment, $600 a fairly nice condo or house).

Jobs during "the season" are plentiful, but there is very little in the way of work available in January, February or March. Most people go on unemployment during that time or relocate to other areas. During the season if you don't mind doing housekeeping, hotel front desk, waiting tables or doing "OPC" work for timeshares you can get a job if you have a pulse. Good jobs are scarce and year round jobs very rare, indeed.

Like anyplace else, it has its good points and bad. If you are a fisherman or boating enthusiast, there really isn't a better place to live. But if you enjoy cultural things, you will be spending a lot of time in Springfield, because culture is not something that Branson is noted for.

DM me if you want any other information.

20yrsinBranson
Being a recent immigrant to the USA (best country in the world BTW), I am looking to find where the place where I really feel at home and belong.
I took the test of find your spot and Branson, MO was at the top of the list.
It then saddens me to read your post and the post of melissajo on what this town is like.

I would be coming alone with no relatives in the area.
I want a quiet "out of the way" life, preferably in an area without close/overlooking neighbors. A woodlands home would be perfect.

BTW, I have no idea what the recent "nationwide fame" is all about and wikipedia doesn't say much about any fame.
Maybe I am missing something so would you care to share with me what this fame is?

Last edited by WhereDoIBelong; 01-16-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereDoIBelong View Post
Being a recent immigrant to the USA (best country in the world BTW), I am looking to find where the place where I really feel at home and belong.
I took the test of find your spot and Branson, MO was at the top of the list.
It then saddens me to read your post and the post of melissajo on what this town is like.

I would be coming alone with no relatives in the area.
I want a quiet "out of the way" life, preferably in an area without close/overlooking neighbors. A woodlands home would be perfect.

BTW, I have no idea what the recent "nationwide fame" is all about and wikipedia doesn't say much about any fame.
Maybe I am missing something so would you care to share with me what this fame is?
If I were you, I'd give it a try and make up your own mind. Branson is in a lovely part of the country with much to recommend it both within and outside of the city itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area