Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Perhaps Rolla should strive to be more like Austin.
Goodness, I hope that never happens. I've been to Austin. I prefer Rolla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Goodness, I hope that never happens. I've been to Austin. I prefer Rolla.
With ya on that one, Buddy, on both counts!

Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinix1999 View Post
Both KC Trader Joe's are a short drive from I-435, which is the interstate loop that heads west from Hwy 71. Driving from Springfield (using Hwy 13 to Clinton, then 7 to 71) the trip should take about 2:45, if one doesn't stop.

The Leawood store at Roe Avenue and 119th is in the same center as an Apple Store, if that's any incentive.
Last time I went it took a good 3 hours, but I did have to stop and pee once. It's really a much nicer drive since they improved HWY 13.

There isn't anything at Trader Joe's that I would drive 3 hours for, however.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
This is only my opinion, but I think residents of Missouri should look for the products they need in their own communities.

If you shop in your own town, rather than drive up to the city for what transplants call "serious shopping," you help keep local people employed and you pay local sales taxes that are used to finance your local cops, firefighters and street crews.

When you drive off to the city to spend your money at the fancy-pants places, you come home with a bunch of stuff you can use to enhance your standing amongst your peer group, but you have helped the economy of the city rather than your own local community economy.

Transplants want their communities to have quaint shops, but they prefer to spend their money in the malls of the nearest Big City. You can't have quaint shops if you spend your disposable quaint income in the malls.

This is my opinion. Others will, no doubt, disagree and express alternative viewpoints that I would be interested in hearing.
I agree with you a thousand percent. In the Branson/Springfield area there is just about anything you could possibly want to buy. Why spend the time, effort, money and gasoline to drive 166 miles to buy something. What on earth could Kansas City (or St. Louis) have that Springfield doesn't have?

I even buy my produce and meat locally grown. It costs a little more but it is totally worth it to me to keep the money in the community.

Trader Joes, indeed.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I even buy my produce and meat locally grown. It costs a little more but it is totally worth it to me to keep the money in the community.
We finally have found something to agree on, i.e. the value of supporting our local people and enterprises. I wish more people who say they like small town and rural living would do the same.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:28 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I support home grown and local products, I always have. If you look in previous posts in this forum you will find there were serveral question about Trader Joe's and also Kosher. All I tried to do was bring those interested up to date. Personally I use TJ's because I have NO OTHER CHOICE. Aand I do not enjoy the 6-hour drive. Let me show you the difference.

TJ's laundry soap does not contain alcohol, tar or wood byproducts. A gal is $8. The local "natural store" does carry laundry soap that DOES contain some the products I am allergic to. Their cheap price is $26 per gallon. I buy eight gallons at TJ's and save $144.00 plus I save on gas. I paid $3.06/gallon last week in St.Louis. I did the same thing when I lived 90-miles west of Spfld, too. I drove to St. Louis when because there was no other choice.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
This is only my opinion, but I think residents of Missouri should look for the products they need in their own communities.

If you shop in your own town, rather than drive up to the city for what transplants call "serious shopping," you help keep local people employed and you pay local sales taxes that are used to finance your local cops, firefighters and street crews.

When you drive off to the city to spend your money at the fancy-pants places, you come home with a bunch of stuff you can use to enhance your standing amongst your peer group, but you have helped the economy of the city rather than your own local community economy.

Transplants want their communities to have quaint shops, but they prefer to spend their money in the malls of the nearest Big City. You can't have quaint shops if you spend your disposable quaint income in the malls.

This is my opinion. Others will, no doubt, disagree and express alternative viewpoints that I would be interested in hearing.
No, it is not only your opinion. I cannot figure out the OP. Is a Moderator advertising?

I live not far from one of the new Trader Joe's in Missouri. Not once have I been curious enough to walk in. Why should I support them over a local grocery who has been in business x 40+ years. Makes no sense.

We have some great food places in Missouri be they local shops or some of the meat and cheese companies through which one can order online. We have wineries, microbreweries, bakeries, chocolate makers, etc... .

Maybe a "Shop Missouri" for the holidays list/thread is in order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area