U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 AM

86 posts, read 145,428 times

Advertisements

I noticed about year ago that things did not appear the same in Saddlebrooke and I wondered about it at that time. I felt like it was in some sort of trouble. Recently, the owner/developer had an auction to sell the remaining lots. So sad to see such a gorgeous developement having to sell their lots through an auction (which I was told by a realtor that another developer came in and purchased them for $4000 each) We're talking about lots that once sold for $100,000! The original developer also sold millions of dollars worth of land around a year (or so ago) to seperate men so that also makes one wonder what those people plan to do with Saddlebrooke. We drove through there a few days ago and saw the whole section, right past the conveinent store has also sold and it is now fenced off. Another sad detail that we were told about my the convenient store clerk is that the developer of Saddlebrook, also owns this store, is probably going to be closing the store around the end of the year. I really to hate to see this happen to Saddlebrooke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 PM

880 posts, read 2,713,309 times
Default Saddlebrooke

Well, first of all the auction did not sell off all of the lots. The developer sold a subset of the all of the lots. Half of them were in an undeveloped new "neighborhood". The roads and electrical work were completed days before the auction. They NEVER had the kind of price tag your talking about....as a matter of fact, few lots in here had that kind of price tag in the past couple of years unless it was on Bull Creek (and even those lot prices were reduced to much much less two years ago) or you were talking acreage. Also, of the 39 lots that were up for sale, no one developer bought all of them. And yes, some were sold for less than $10,000. However, some went for MUCH MUCH more. Some for investment, some for personal use. A few buyers bought 3 lots as the developer gave them a chance to chose up to 2 additional lots of their choice for the same price as the first.

Let's face it, business has not been good the past few years for the developers of planned developments. However, the Village and the POA themselves are fine. There are learning curves, and there are budget issues
as the developer pulls out. All are being worked and will be resolved as the developer moves more and more of those things from his ownership to the Village or POA ownership depending on which would own the particular issue.

The Developer wan't making enough money for the same type of upkeep as in
the past. Currently, neither the Village or the POA can keep up certain aspects of the Village because they don't own the land....yet. So enough is being done to keep the general beauty of the development in place.

Saddlebrooke...both the Village and the POA have been in the process of taking over the day to day functions of the development for the past 18-24 months. The developer made it known that he was pulling out some time ago.
To date, I have experienced nothing negative about the change.

The big tract of land behind the store wasn't sold to a developer....rather an individual owner who is planning to build a house. The road is to their property. The same with the large tract near the tunnel. It's a single owner who has put a very attractive fence around the front to keep trespassers out.

The developer has put the store and visitors center on the market. It's just business....Currently, the tentative plan is to close it at the end of the year. Since it is a profitable store it's believed that it will probably sell in the Spring. Winter isn't exactly the time of year to sell a business of this type.

The only "appearance" change is in mowing. That is being worked, but the issue is that neither the POA nor the Village has the right to mow private property. As the developer pulls totally out, hopefully, mowing rights will be put into place. There have been alot of improvements in some of the ammenities so mowing must be the only visual "change" you have seen.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:12 PM

23,598 posts, read 34,142,965 times
That's good to hear. Since we know someone who lives there we were somewhat concerned. Glad to hear it's not as dire as the OP made it sound.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That's good to hear. Since we know someone who lives there we were somewhat concerned. Glad to hear it's not as dire as the OP made it sound.
I stated facts...things that have been seen firsthand. I didn't write anything as a resident because I don't live there. I realize you are saying that someone living there would hold more validity, but do you think this is truly the case?? I'm COMPLETELY unbiased in my opinion and my statements are for no other reason than curiousity and concern. I have always LOVED Saddlebrooke and what I have seen is disappointing. For you to discard my view, because I don't live there, is incorrect. I am able to see what others aren't willing to see. I can respect that a person wants to protect their home (makes sense), but what I wrote is all based on things that have taken place within the past two years.

I tried emailing the developer and his two salesmen with their Saddlebrooke email accounts and also tried emailing directly through the website....all of them were kicked back to me stating that these accounts do not exist. There may be a group of people taking the reigns now, but it's not the same as what it once was and for a new developement, that's unfortunate.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 AM

23,598 posts, read 34,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFam View Post
I stated facts...things that have been seen firsthand. I didn't write anything as a resident because I don't live there. I realize you are saying that someone living there would hold more validity, but do you think this is truly the case?? I'm COMPLETELY unbiased in my opinion and my statements are for no other reason than curiousity and concern. I have always LOVED Saddlebrooke and what I have seen is disappointing. For you to discard my view, because I don't live there, is incorrect. I am able to see what others aren't willing to see. I can respect that a person wants to protect their home (makes sense), but what I wrote is all based on things that have taken place within the past two years.

I tried emailing the developer and his two salesmen with their Saddlebrooke email accounts and also tried emailing directly through the website....all of them were kicked back to me stating that these accounts do not exist. There may be a group of people taking the reigns now, but it's not the same as what it once was and for a new developement, that's unfortunate.
It was not my intention to either doubt you or make you defensive. My remark was to say that while unfortunate, the circumstances do not appear to be dire.

People obviously got excellent deals on the lots which will likely drive down overall values in the settlementy. However, one does have to wonder who can and will build a McMansion of a minimum of 18,000 sq. ft., as seemingly required, in this economy, and why.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It was not my intention to either doubt you or make you defensive. My remark was to say that while unfortunate, the circumstances do not appear to be dire.

People obviously got excellent deals on the lots which will likely drive down overall values in the settlementy. However, one does have to wonder who can and will build a McMansion of a minimum of 18,000 sq. ft., as seemingly required, in this economy, and why.
I think that it's more of a dire situation (behind the scenes) than one might realize, but of course this is just my take on it. I was there recently and even little things have changed.

I still think that Saddlebrooke is gorgeous....no doubt about it....NONE!! But would I, personally, buy land in there right now....absolutely not! Not even for the $4000-6500 price tag that the lots sold for at auction.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:05 AM

51 posts, read 211,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFam View Post
I think that it's more of a dire situation (behind the scenes) than one might realize, but of course this is just my take on it. I was there recently and even little things have changed.

I still think that Saddlebrooke is gorgeous....no doubt about it....NONE!! But would I, personally, buy land in there right now....absolutely not! Not even for the $4000-6500 price tag that the lots sold for at auction.

" ... Nothing is enough, for the person for whom everything is too little." ... 'sometimes, even free is too much.'

Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 AM

880 posts, read 2,713,309 times
Default Rumor and fact...you have to be there...

Ok..I appreciate that the recent auction raised concerns about Saddlebrooke.
However, one should separate the legal entity called The Village of Saddlebrooke, from the developer and the development of Saddlebrooke.

The developer chose to leave. It was a financial/business decision. Businesses make these types of decisions all of the time.

The Village of Saddlebrooke is actually larger than the area of development.
There were 39 lots up for grabs during the auction. They sold to a variety of buyers and at a variety of prices. There are still lots within the POA that have not been sold.

The minimum house size is NOT 18,000 sq. feet. In some neighborhoods
it's a minimum of 1800 sq. feet on the main floor. In some neighborhoods it's larger, but still within the realm of reality.

The reality is that almost any "Development" that is actually a city/village
will come to a point where it is no longer a developer's business but rather transitions into a legally operating city/village. That is where Saddlebrooke
is currently. The developer's problems are separate from the Village.

I'm not saying that the transition is not without issues. However, they are all being actively worked. The City is working city issues, the POA (which is smaller than the city) is working their issues. They are also working issues together to ensure that Saddlebrooke (the village) is operated according to both law and resident expections.

I'm not sure what "little changes" anyone is seeing, but things have actually been fixed, improved, upgraded, etc...this past summer/fall. The communities are coming together to make this an even better place to live.
Mowing will continue to be a problem for awhile, however, we are all pitching in to do what we can to keep things looking as nice as we can.

Yes, property valuations were impacted by the auction, but not nearly as
bad the the general economic conditions of the past three years. The majority of the lots weren't priced at nearly what was stated in previous postings...some a few years ago, but prices have been dropping the past two years. Yes, some people got a great deal on a lot (or three), but the overall cost of building isn't going down acccordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area