Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2006, 04:42 PM

226 posts, read 996,896 times

Advertisements

Was wondering what wild life is around the Springfield/Nixa area?? Do people have problems with the deer eating their flowers etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 01:20 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,954,746 times
Default Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Eaton View Post
Was wondering what wild life is around the Springfield/Nixa area?? Do people have problems with the deer eating their flowers etc.

Thanks
I live about seven miles north of Springfield in the country on 4.3 acres, 2 are forested behind the house, the front 2.3 are open lawns dotted with Oak and Hickory trees and I have deer. Right now one doe with two fawns lives in the woods behind my house. They wander around and eat the grass and low brush, sometimes right by the house and I can watch them from my window, but they haven't eaten my flowers. I do have two wild rabbits though and I had to chase them out of my flower beds. There are also wild turtles and there's a flock of wild turkeys who live on my property too. I first spotted them when they were little chicks following their mother, now they're HUGE and they comb the lawns and low brush for bugs...which I appreciate. Deer will eat certain flowers if they can. They apparently don't like my Impatiens which I planted back in March as tiny sprouts which have grown HUGE, now they're two feet tall and like bushes with bright flowers, gorgeous. There are also hundreds of squirrels and they are very brazen and the males can be quite territorial and aggressive. I had one come up to my bedroom glass door to the terrace and challenge me with both paws against the glass looking at me and squawking. The deer actually 'bark' in surprise if you startle them. There's so much wildlife, including birds of prey and other birds too. It's pretty cool...oh, I forgot the two Opossums. I met them on my deck in the dark one night...they growled, I ran back inside. They lived under the deck for awhile, but I think they've moved on.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:56 AM

226 posts, read 996,896 times
Thanks, it sounds wonderful.

Do they have problems with cars hitting deer?
What type of snakes do you have? We have rattlesnakes, and I won't miss that....
What animal is the most dangerous??

Old 09-17-2006, 08:19 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,954,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Eaton View Post
Thanks, it sounds wonderful.

Do they have problems with cars hitting deer?
What type of snakes do you have? We have rattlesnakes, and I won't miss that....
What animal is the most dangerous??
My neighbors told me to be careful of driving fast in areas where the road dips into little valleys as that's where many deer cross. I drive slowly at night when I can't see well. The speed limit is 45mph on the farm road near me, but I usually do 25mph, which saved a skunk and an opposum the other day. I don't want to hit a deer...

Old 09-20-2006, 12:50 PM

278 posts, read 1,134,203 times
I believe Missouri has more then just one kind of rattle snake they also have the copper head ( a rattle snake ) and the cotton mouth( none rattle snake ) but that’s all for vipers that I know of

Old 09-21-2006, 08:22 AM

339 posts, read 1,419,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58 View Post
I believe Missouri has more then just one kind of rattle snake they also have the copper head ( a rattle snake ) and the cotton mouth( none rattle snake ) but that’s all for vipers that I know of
While poisonous, the copperhead is not a rattlesnake. You have identified the 3 poisonous snakes of missouri. One should take care when walking or working near tall grass and brush. But like the tornado concern mentioned in another thread, the threat rarely effects everyday life.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:04 PM

278 posts, read 1,134,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
While poisonous, the copperhead is not a rattlesnake. You have identified the 3 poisonous snakes of missouri. One should take care when walking or working near tall grass and brush. But like the tornado concern mentioned in another thread, the threat rarely effects everyday life.
Thanks your right about the copper head. I also found there are a few sups of the rattle snake also this is from the state of Missouri and there list of Venomous Snakes in Missouri.
Osage Copperhead
Western Cottonmouth
Timber Rattlesnake
Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake
Western Pygmy Rattlesnake
I also know there more scared of us then we are of them and given a chance they will flee. But as you said take care out in the woods but do not let it stop you from living as you may still never see one. I have hunted all my life almost and have only seen two rattle snakes in my life in the wild both running away from me to boot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area