Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times

Advertisements

It's really a shame that it is so doggone spendy to use the Springfield airport because it has got to be the easiest, quickest one I have ever been to. It's all of 25 minutes from my abode with no traffic or hassles getting in and out. Inside the terminal is like a ghost town with hardly anyone milling about. and getting through security takes just a few minutes.

I read in the News Leader recently that for some odd reason there is no real big push to expand the facility, apparently we don't have the population numbers the powers that be like to see. We are gonna have to figure out some kind of game plan as I have two adult kids living out of state that like to come out and visit their old pops...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,758 times
Default Flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelady View Post
I got the price from AirTans the company flies from Fort Lauderdale airport I have one stop in GA then flew to KC mo. With tax it would total 229.00 for myself and my son. If I choiced to flew into sprinfield it would be 114.00 each way per person. That is why I am asking about the drive. I would make sure I drove during the daytime. Thanks Icelady
Icelady...how cool you're coming in!

The $114 is a pretty good fare into SGF...if you calculate the cost of driving (gas!) and something for your time...

I have a friend who does this: Figure out the best fare from wherever into KC or St. Louis...then offer that fare on Priceline into SGF. He says he gets it every time. I did it once and it worked! Priceline tickets are, of course, non-refundable and you can't pick your times or airline, but mine worked out fine.

In another year we should have another choice...the brand spankin' new Branson Regional Airport is finally under construction!!! I'm not one to spread rumors...but the runway is reported to be 7200 feet! Long enough for, oh, say...747's!!!

Anyway, I know that doesn't help you this week, but it sure is something to look forward to for all of us who still like to jump out of here and go visit our friends and relatives who live other places.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:39 AM

129 posts, read 478,030 times
Tes, I know I would like to arrive in Springfield however it would cost to much for myself and my son. So I think ariving in KC it will take me 2-3hrs to get to the ozarks. Do you know if I am correct on this,da jammer ? Also, are there HUGH hills I will have to travel on? what I mean by HUGH is ther warnig signs about the slope and I guess it sand or dirt on the side of the road becuase your brakes overheated. Then I guess you crash into it to stop Or is it just hills like on a rollercoaster. That would kinda fun

Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 AM

430 posts, read 1,263,950 times
To Lake of the Ozarks from the KC-MCI airport is 2 hours and 52 minutes (watch for deer please). There are no bad hills, mostly gently rolling ones that make you go aaaahhhhh and relax!

We fly XJet, only way to go. Great airline, good service (they even feed you for free), free XM radio (free ear-buds) and for us, it's a non-stop flight from Tucson to KC. We have flown into St. Louis before and found it much cheaper to rent a car from there so we usually go the Priceline route to rent out of KC. I imagine that you could go off airport and rent cheaper, but there is only one flight into KC from Tucson daily and it always puts us into town after the off-site rentals close....captive audience!

O.Nana

Old 09-09-2007, 09:58 AM

Thanks Ozark Nana,
I will watch for the deers. Are they out during the daytime on the roads? As for the hills that will be fun!!!!! I feel better now. I will book the tickets before sept 18. I need to wait for my pay day. As for xjet it only flies out from Jacksonville which is about 10 hours away from. However I well check Jet Bluo and Spirit. Also needto check on car rentals have AAA and some car rentals will give govt discount Icelady

Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,758 times
Default Hills...

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelady View Post
Tes, I know I would like to arrive in Springfield however it would cost to much for myself and my son. So I think ariving in KC it will take me 2-3hrs to get to the ozarks. Do you know if I am correct on this,da jammer ? Also, are there HUGH hills I will have to travel on? what I mean by HUGH is ther warnig signs about the slope and I guess it sand or dirt on the side of the road becuase your brakes overheated. Then I guess you crash into it to stop Or is it just hills like on a rollercoaster. That would kinda fun
No huge hills between KC airport and Ozark.
The huge hills are between Ozark & Branson.
And yes, there are a couple of those signs but those are mainly for the BIG RIG drivers...
I've driven between the KC airport & northern Springfield dozens of times. It took about 3.5 hours...depending on traffic.
See...the airport is on the far northwest edge of town...ya gotta get through the city...rush hour traffic be a concern.
You might try priceline...if you don't get it you don't pay for it.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:04 AM

430 posts, read 1,263,950 times
I would also suggest renting a Garmin GPS system for your car.....we own our own, but couldn't of gotten through KC without one!! We always fly in on Saturday's so we don't deal with rush hour traffic.....and the deer, not so many out during the day. Being we usually arrive in KC at 5:00 p.m. it's dusk by the time we hit the Lake....that's when they are mostly out, from dusk through evening times!! Have fun!

O.Nana

Old 09-09-2007, 10:23 AM

Talking Weather Question

Thanks everyone!!!!! Iwill check it out. Also, is it what type of weather do you have in mid April. Snow cold weather or is it warm. Sorry for all the question I only have colthes for the summer time due to the fact it is always hot in Fl
Ice

Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
I think one of the great benefits of making the drive from KC to Ozark is that you get to see a nice chunk of how beautiful MO is on your way down. Like LJ said, don't worry about the hills out here...they are nothing to worry about. O Nana has given you some fabulous heads up re: the deer and the GPS unit!!

I left my house at 3:30 am Labor Day Saturday on my way to TX to hook up with the kids. I'm hummin' along @ 80mph along the westbound I-44 when I spot these lil red eyes along the edge of the road. Since I'm not all that sharp I continued along at warp speed until it slowly began to dawn on me that those lil red eyes belonged to a bunch of deer that, on occasion, like to wander into the path of vehicles rollin' down the road. Man that was a stressful drive until the sun came up! I also have the TomTom GPS unit that is invaluable when traveling in areas you are totally unfamiliar with especially big cities. With people driving like crazy and a bewildering number of signs it's very easy to get onto the wrong highway and wind up in Timbuktoo!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 AM

Thanks and I will get a system or make sure one is in the rental car. I will make sure to watch for deers. I know my son will. Sure the heck dont want to hit BIMBI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area