Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:16 AM

29 posts, read 164,150 times

Advertisements

I am highly allergic to cigarettes and was wondering what the smoking ordinances are like in and around Springfield. Are there smoke-free places? (meaning work and play)

Thanks,
Lorraine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 05:33 PM

226 posts, read 999,639 times
Smoking is looked down at in Phoenix. Can't smoke at work, parks, and most places you eat. Still can smoke in most bars. Went to CA and it's really tight there. I never saw anyone smoking. They must only smoke at home??

I was also wondering about the smoking in the springfield area. Glad you asked....

Old 09-17-2006, 05:45 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Eaton View Post
Smoking is looked down at in Phoenix. Can't smoke at work, parks, and most places you eat. Still can smoke in most bars. Went to CA and it's really tight there. I never saw anyone smoking. They must only smoke at home??

I was also wondering about the smoking in the springfield area. Glad you asked....
CA is great on this subject. We went Sept 1st to NC/SC to look around and the waiter asked smoking or non. WHAT A WEIRD THING TO HEAR...lol

Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,733 times
This region has one of the highest rates of smoking in the country. That said, the city has a smoking ban in most restaurants (depending on how much liquor they sell). The hospitals have eliminated smoking from their property entirely (even parking lots). Frankly, I think a business owner should make the decision for himself and for his property. But you'll be glad to know that the anti-smoking ***** are winning the war against public smoking.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 AM

With second hand smoke proving to be bad, I see why.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:51 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
CA is great on this subject. We went Sept 1st to NC/SC to look around and the waiter asked smoking or non. WHAT A WEIRD THING TO HEAR...lol

I hear that in the Phoenix area where it's allowed. We have certain burbs where it is banned

Old 09-18-2006, 07:00 PM

29 posts, read 164,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
This region has one of the highest rates of smoking in the country. That said, the city has a smoking ban in most restaurants (depending on how much liquor they sell). The hospitals have eliminated smoking from their property entirely (even parking lots). Frankly, I think a business owner should make the decision for himself and for his property.
Well unfortunately just like NC, this prohibits Missouri as a possible home. I have to work and absolutely can not breathe cigarette smoke and function. I am truly heartbroken. I had my hopes up because several MO towns sounded like they were places where I could afford a home, get to know my neighbors and listen to something more relaxing than traffic, fights and parties at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
But you'll be glad to know that the anti-smoking ***** are winning the war against public smoking.
Well due to health reasons, I am an anti-smoking ***** and taking my ***** on to other relocation possibilities.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:17 PM

My youngest is asthmatic. We will just look for the places where they don't go

Old 09-18-2006, 09:29 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
My youngest is asthmatic. We will just look for the places where they don't go
True, CA is good on it but where I work people still smoke and smoke wofts (sp) if the wind is right. I agree just try and go where they are not. In the future I really believe smoking will be so expensive and so regulated they will be few and far between. I pray for that day

Old 09-19-2006, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,408 times
Default smoking

Springfield, MO has enacted several non-smoking ordinances in the last few years. It is now possible for non-smokers to go out in most public places without having to breath cigarette smoke from smokers. Most surrounding towns, however, haven't been so agressive. The city councils of Nixa and Ozark, especially, seem afraid to offend the business owners, choosing instead, to endanger the health of the non-smoking public who patronize these businesses.

There are many who believe the business owner is the one who should decide if smoking is allowed in his/her business. To these people I would say, Is it up to the business owner to decide if rodents and insects are allowed? How about dirty dishes, and unsanitary conditions in the kitchen? Why should employees be required to wash their hands after using the restroom? Why then, should a business owner decide if the air in his/her business is healthy, or filled with carcenogous emissions from cigarettes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area