Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Advertisements

Sleazy salesmen selling time shares. You can't check into a place without them on your back to sit through their sales pitch and then stiff you out of the prize they guaranteed to give you.

My hubby and I went through this last time we were there. Diamond Resorts. The place was nice enough but their sales managers leave much to be desired and we went away thinking Branson is not that good a place to visit.

I did notice they are not jumping on us when we go out to eat or line up for a show as much as before so maybe Branson stopped that but they are still there at the resorts. Promising free lodging and other gifts just for a few minutes of your time. Then when you do not buy their product they are all over you and weasel out of giving you what they guaranteed to give.

Can't Branson do anything about these people?h
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Caveat emptor!

No law against free enterprise. Just carry around an "ignore" button.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Sleazy salesmen selling time shares. You can't check into a place without them on your back to sit through their sales pitch and then stiff you out of the prize they guaranteed to give you.

My hubby and I went through this last time we were there. Diamond Resorts. The place was nice enough but their sales managers leave much to be desired and we went away thinking Branson is not that good a place to visit.

I did notice they are not jumping on us when we go out to eat or line up for a show as much as before so maybe Branson stopped that but they are still there at the resorts. Promising free lodging and other gifts just for a few minutes of your time. Then when you do not buy their product they are all over you and weasel out of giving you what they guaranteed to give.

Can't Branson do anything about these people?h
I worked as an OPC for a while and I can tell you that many times they will not qualify a person properly before sending them to a presentation. If you go, and are not qualified they do not have to give you the incentive gifts. Be sure that you find out what the qualifications are before you go. Typically, the person who checks you in should also see if you are qualified. So if you went through the presentation and did not receive your gifts then two people failed to do their job. If, however, you were qualified but simply did not buy, they cannot refuse to give you your gifts for attending because purchasing the product is not a requirement to receive your incentive gifts.

Timeshare is a very competitive business and you have to be aggressive to be successful. Many people get free vacations for going to timeshare presentations with no intention of ever buying (my cousin does this). But you have to be tough and not let the timeshare guy talk you into buying or make you feel guilty enough to buy. But it is a business just like any other business. Timeshare salesmen have children to feed and mortgages too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 PM

I don't mind free enterpirse but not coming through with what they guarantee is frustrating. Leaves a bad taste in ones mouth and Branson gets the fallout. May not be fair but it's true.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I worked as an OPC for a while and I can tell you that many times they will not qualify a person properly before sending them to a presentation. If you go, and are not qualified they do not have to give you the incentive gifts. Be sure that you find out what the qualifications are before you go. Typically, the person who checks you in should also see if you are qualified. So if you went through the presentation and did not receive your gifts then two people failed to do their job. If, however, you were qualified but simply did not buy, they cannot refuse to give you your gifts for attending because purchasing the product is not a requirement to receive your incentive gifts.

Timeshare is a very competitive business and you have to be aggressive to be successful. Many people get free vacations for going to timeshare presentations with no intention of ever buying (my cousin does this). But you have to be tough and not let the timeshare guy talk you into buying or make you feel guilty enough to buy. But it is a business just like any other business. Timeshare salesmen have children to feed and mortgages too.

20yrsinBranson

We did qualify if did we make enough money is the qualifier. We sat through the presentation, went on the tour and watched the film. After the sales lady (who was very nice I might add) talked to us for another hour she went to find the manager to talk to us but he never came out. We waited and waited. We had tickets for a show and it was getting late so we had to leave. As soon as we went to the desk to get our gifts the manager ran out and yelled we couldn't get them, 90 minutes was the minimum to stay. We had stayed for 2 hours so it was more than the 90 minutes.

He said no and my hubby said, "then you lied to us." After that we left, there was no talking to them. What did they want us to do. Stay until they made us buy? Stay the whole day? Those people are getting crazy. I understand the economy but still.

I did send a letter to the corporate office when they sent the follow up survey. Seems they want to leave a good impression but they really don't care. Buyer beware is right.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
As long as there are people that haven't gotten the memo that timeshares are a ripoff, they'll be timeshare salesmen.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
We did qualify if did we make enough money is the qualifier. We sat through the presentation, went on the tour and watched the film. After the sales lady (who was very nice I might add) talked to us for another hour she went to find the manager to talk to us but he never came out. We waited and waited. We had tickets for a show and it was getting late so we had to leave. As soon as we went to the desk to get our gifts the manager ran out and yelled we couldn't get them, 90 minutes was the minimum to stay. We had stayed for 2 hours so it was more than the 90 minutes.

He said no and my hubby said, "then you lied to us." After that we left, there was no talking to them. What did they want us to do. Stay until they made us buy? Stay the whole day? Those people are getting crazy. I understand the economy but still.

I did send a letter to the corporate office when they sent the follow up survey. Seems they want to leave a good impression but they really don't care. Buyer beware is right.
Minimum income is one qualification. Other qualifications are usually that you cannot live within 100 miles (sometimes 250 miles) of the resort, you have to be married and both parties must be present, you have to be between certain ages (usually 21 and 60 or 65), you cannot have taken a timeshare presentation within the past 6 months, you have to be employed, you have to not have filed bankruptcy for the past 7 years.

If you met all those requirements then you should have received your gift. I suggest you contact the attorney generals office in Jefferson City to file a complaint. That is the only way you keep honest companies honest and weed out the dishonest ones.

Just curious, what timeshare company was it?

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Minimum income is one qualification. Other qualifications are usually that you cannot live within 100 miles (sometimes 250 miles) of the resort, you have to be married and both parties must be present, you have to be between certain ages (usually 21 and 60 or 65), you cannot have taken a timeshare presentation within the past 6 months, you have to be employed, you have to not have filed bankruptcy for the past 7 years.

If you met all those requirements then you should have received your gift. I suggest you contact the attorney generals office in Jefferson City to file a complaint. That is the only way you keep honest companies honest and weed out the dishonest ones.

Just curious, what timeshare company was it?

20yrsinBranson
Yep, we are all those qualifications. It was Diamond Resorts. We stayed the The Suites at Fall Creek.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Yep, we are all those qualifications. It was Diamond Resorts. We stayed the The Suites at Fall Creek.
Well then, I would definitely follow up with the attorney general's office. Sorry you had a bad experience.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Well then, I would definitely follow up with the attorney general's office. Sorry you had a bad experience.

20yrsinBranson
That's ok, there just won't be anymore time shares talks for us in the future. Side note I will tell others about the experience. Probably worse than any other thing we can do to them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area