Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 07:17 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfTheOzarks View Post
Branson also needs to do something about the traffic problems that are experienced during peak tourist seasons. This is no doubt a big limiting factor - many people who experience it once will not return and return customers are much cheaper to retain than new customers are to acquire. That's just Business 101.
We went to Branson the first year we lived here in 2008. We went during an "off" week early in the season; about 1/3rd of the shows were closed.
The traffic was absolutely awful. It reminded me of being on the 405 (not that bad, but definitely reminded me of it). It is definitely the main reason we have not gone back.

Quote:
If I were on the city council I would also be talking with Google or one of the car manufacturers about bringing some self-driving vehicles to Branson to help with testing and research. That sort of thing brings a community tons of free news coverage which is just another form of free advertising.
Small side note, but the self-driving cars are still not allowed in Missouri. We have had trouble bringing (and especially keeping) major tech projects to Kansas City and St Louis. Our statewide regulatory environment is simply not suited to them (especially our laws on post-employment restrictions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 01:01 AM

28 posts, read 54,894 times
Self-driving cars are dangerous and should NEVER be allowed.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:56 PM

158 posts, read 376,244 times
Hi marigolds6

Sounds like Missouri has some challenges to overcome. Most states do. As far as the driver-less car testing I suspect that if Branson wanted to sponsor a test this could be handled outside the normally regulated and licensed driving environment, possibly by setting aside a small part of town specifically for driver-less vehicles only, etc.

The key is to not simply give up at the first sign of difficulty but push ahead and solve problems as they come up. True, roadblocks that result from a complex regulatory environment generally take more effort (and time) to work through but it is doable.

I am more concerned about whether there are enough forward-looking citizens in the region that are willing to push for change, and progress. The biggest problem with a sedentary mindset is that it is no longer interested in the future but just marking time until death, tragic but so true.

Also, if the voters are (more or less) satisfied with the status quo the legislators rarely take it upon themselves to offer up changes that might rock the vote. If there is one thing we know about politicians it's that the vast majority are more concerned about getting reelected than they are about improving the community they serve.

I hope that Branson hasn't already fallen into that trap because it is nearly impossible to change direction once a community gets on that path.

Springfield Citizen ... "Self-driving cars are dangerous " - you're too funny. :-)

Old 12-17-2015, 12:26 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
If they still cater to the military they won't die. Look at all the vets that love to go there.

I know of 3 people who took a trip to Branson recently. They go with their family for a Christmas treat as well. It's still a family orientated city that attracts attention with their wholesome entertainment.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:46 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
Crime has risen in branson as well since mexican gangs showed up.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
...I am more concerned about whether there are enough forward-looking citizens in the region that are willing to push for change, and progress. The biggest problem with a sedentary mindset is that it is no longer interested in the future but just marking time until death, tragic but so true.
"Progress" is not always a good thing. Fixing what isn't broken nearly always causes more harm than good.

Quote:
Springfield Citizen ... "Self-driving cars are dangerous " - you're too funny. :-)
Who programs them? Can they be trusted? Are they competent? What happens when the computer glitches (as all computers do on occasion)? Who will be liable for the result?

And - just as important if not more - what about all the people whose jobs will be lost if self-driving cars become the norm? Same problem with drone deliveries. Even if the technical issues are resolved, they take jobs from hard-working people who need them.

It's too dangerous and too destructive. Just say "NO!" to self-driving cars!

Old 12-17-2015, 02:11 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,534 times
Quote:
There is no question that the economy in Branson is still struggling. All you have to do is look at real estate prices and you'll see that most of the properties have not recovered since the recession hit in 2008. Look at price trends in Portland, OR to see a city that has rebounded and is now starting to get a little too full of itself.

I noticed a couple of trends in the comments ... 1) a lot of people are optimistic about Branson's potential but feel that there isn't much to do for the "youngish" generations, and 2) no one has said that they are actually doing something to help Branson solve that problem. Look at the average age of the aldermen and alderwomen ... they are not going to solve this problem, they definitely need ideas (and help) from younger people!

Another common theme seems to be that the generation that enjoys the current style of Branson entertainment is the baby-boomer generation and the reason Branson is fading is because that generation is dying off. Actually that is misleading since the baby-boomer generation is mostly still around and many of them are just coming up on retirement age. If Branson did a better job of marketing to them they would probably come in droves.

True, there are more entertainment destination options available than ever before but just as with any other entertainment industry (music, movies, sports, books, etc.) the sales don't necessarily go to talent offering the "best" product ... they go to the ones with the best marketing department. Right now the city council is arguing over whether a link to a ticketing website should be included on some other website that is supported by tax dollars. This seems like petty bickering and not the work of a group of leaders with true vision.

If Branson is going to succeed it needs to step into the future and stop behaving like it's still 1970. Yes the reputation as the "Baldknobbers destination" is seriously branding the town as one with a fairly limited range of entertainment options. That needs to be fixed.

Branson also needs to do something about the traffic problems that are experienced during peak tourist seasons. This is no doubt a big limiting factor - many people who experience it once will not return and return customers are much cheaper to retain than new customers are to acquire. That's just Business 101.

Branson needs to get recognition on a national level for offering something besides funny music shows. It doesn't have to be entertainment either. Just competing for Google fiber service would say loads about the city's plans for a positive-growth future. Branson doesn't need to win a Google contract, just make some waves about being in the running .... people notice stuff like that.

If I were on the city council I would also be talking with Google or one of the car manufacturers about bringing some self-driving vehicles to Branson to help with testing and research. That sort of thing brings a community tons of free news coverage which is just another form of free advertising.

I could go on but this note is already long. I do believe Branson has a lot of potential but it's going to take a lot of energy and great ideas, plus some voters lighting a fire under the elected representatives, to make any real progress. :-)

Baby boomer? I'd say older than that.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:43 PM

I agree. "Nashville West" caters more to the Silents (Boomers' parents) than Boomers.

Washed up C/W singers, out of date comedians, and Silver Dollar City aren't going to sell well with anyone born after probably the mid 60s. Expect the decline in Branson to continue. Until MO really opens up gambling, then expect it to turn into a "Budget Vegas" or poor-man's "Atlantic City".

Old 01-02-2016, 04:37 PM

12 posts, read 14,699 times
I see this post was last commented on in 2012. It seems there is still a lot of activity in Branson. I believe it will survive just based on the proximity to the lakes. Of course Tanger Outlet brings me out there quite often from Springfield.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:00 PM

^Amber, I suggest enlarging your browser window or getting an eye exam. The most recent comments are this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area