Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 AM

382 posts, read 1,068,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
Having lived in Detrot for 33 years, during which time it was named the most dangerous city in the entire country most years. I can honestly say that most people really don't need to carry a firearm to protect themselves, and the people that do think they need to carry, because they think someone is going to try and "kill" them, they have some screws loose. Criminals typically attack other criminals. You have a much greater chance of being killed in a car accident, or having your arteries clog up cuz your a fat a$$, or getting cancer from all of those ciggerettes that you smoke. Just facts.

No disrespect but I wish to argue a couple of points. Thank goodness I have mellowed with age.

1. Criminals prey on criminals, not the innocent - am I correct in your perception of crime? If so, have you not read any newspaper lately, watched the nightly news, or even talked with your neighbors? If what you are surmising is correct, I want to move where you live. Where I come from, as well as most other places (in this day and age), criminals have a very self entitled mindset - if I want it, I take it PERIOD, and why should I work for/earn anything I want when it is easier to just take it from those that have. Criminals take the road of least resistance - the sick, disabled, weak, elderly, young, honest, hardworking, respectable, etc. Yes, other criminals are attacked because of "who are you going to call, the police? when one robs another of stolen/illicit goods?"

2. Just because someone, in your opinion, is obese or a smoker that makes they guilty of being a victim of crime. My goodness, why not add - just because you are short, blonde, brown eyed, Baptist, Catholic, drink colas or coffee, (I think you get my drift) then victimization is justified?

3. "Just facts" I could counter with pages and pages of facts, however, that is not for this particular forum.

I must honestly say, what I and my family have worked long and hard for is not going to be taken from us without a fight. If encountered with a criminal element, I want any means necessary for protection. In the end, if the choice I am forced to make is "me or thee" guess who the loser of this battle will be; and it is not ME!

I do believe, at times, it is better to turn the other cheek. However, there is also "a time to pray, a time to rejoice, etc., and, a time to fight."

There are dangers in choosing to defend yourself and I would never encourage one to over step the boundaries of their comfort zones because it could be life threatening. However, I am very confident of my abilities so, for myself, I will press the issue to the max. By the way, I have been a victim, a survivor, and a Victim Advocate so I can speak from experience.

Again, I am not berating or condemning you for your opinions. Thank goodness we live in the land of the free. I am only offering an opposing view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
to the OP, please forgive this off topic post of mine. I do my best to help if I can when someone asks a question and not veer off into unrelated items but I cannot let this incredibly ignorant statement by ICV fly.

LancasterOnline.com: News : 3 charged in homicide

Read all about how my brother was recently murdered inside his own home. He refused to have a firearm inside his home...too dangerous he said....no need he said....I can take care of myself he used to say. Now his daughter is fatherless and her kids no longer have their goofy grandpa to play around with.

Had these killers decided to knock on my door at 9:30pm, one of two things would have happened. One, the bad guy would have clearly seen I was armed, turned tail and ran like a screaming, babbling ape into the night or they would have tried to enter my home with the intention of doing me or my family harm and would be sporting a few dime sized holes from a quick double tap, center mass (although I am not opposed to a well placed round right between the eyes) which would end the assault in a New York moment. There is NO place on earth one should feel a sense of absolute safely like their own home and nobody should lose their lives over something as trivial as a damn TV set. Three worthless pieces of human debris made the choice to take a life because they probably knew my brother was not armed and had no chance against much younger adversaries with something running through their minds that most of us can never understand.

Again my apologies to otterville for the thread hijack and I do hope we were able to help you out with your original question.

Quote:
Having lived in Detrot for 33 years, during which time it was named the most dangerous city in the entire country most years. I can honestly say that most people really don't need to carry a firearm to protect themselves, and the people that do think they need to carry, because they think someone is going to try and "kill" them, they have some screws loose. Criminals typically attack other criminals. You have a much greater chance of being killed in a car accident, or having your arteries clog up cuz your a fat a$$, or getting cancer from all of those ciggerettes that you smoke. Just facts.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Sorry Otterville but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
to the OP, please forgive this off topic post of mine. I do my best to help if I can when someone asks a question and not veer off into unrelated items but I cannot let this incredibly ignorant statement by ICV fly.

LancasterOnline.com: News : 3 charged in homicide

Read all about how my brother was recently murdered inside his own home. He refused to have a firearm inside his home...too dangerous he said....no need he said....I can take care of myself he used to say. Now his daughter is fatherless and her kids no longer have their goofy grandpa to play around with.

Had these killers decided to knock on my door at 9:30pm, one of two things would have happened. One, the bad guy would have clearly seen I was armed, turned tail and ran like a screaming, babbling ape into the night or they would have tried to enter my home with the intention of doing me or my family harm and would be sporting a few dime sized holes from a quick double tap, center mass (although I am not opposed to a well placed round right between the eyes) which would end the assault in a New York moment. There is NO place on earth one should feel a sense of absolute safely like their own home and nobody should lose their lives over something as trivial as a damn TV set. Three worthless pieces of human debris made the choice to take a life because they probably knew my brother was not armed and had no chance against much younger adversaries with something running through their minds that most of us can never understand.

Again my apologies to otterville for the thread hijack and I do hope we were able to help you out with your original question.

Da Jammer is the man. If you run low of any hollow points let me know. I do not intend for a criminal to survive just to be sued for reckless endangerment, or the likes. Dead men can tell no lies. Plus, they will not ever, never perpetrate another crime. Should I leave it to chance about my stance on the death penalty issue? BUT - that is a completely different soapbox for another day, another forum.

BTW, it is heart breaking to live in today's society. I loved it when every person tended to watch every else's back.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Another Suggestion for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterville View Post
Thanks all for the info.... It is appreciated and no offense takin

Otterville,

First please accept my humble apology for your thread taking a curve. However, my strike zone was hit and I just had to reply. Forgive me.

As for your problem, now remember I am by no means offering legal advice and hold no law degree but I have a suggestion for you which may or may not be valid. You will have to investigate.

As for law, my understanding is the hierarchy goes as follows: local law, then county, then state, then federal. Federal law supercedes, or overrides any other laws by any other law making body.

Next, since your offense was of a non violent nature, the elasped years, and hopefully a spotless (other than parking tickets or the like) record showing you are a responsible member of society, check with an attorney or legal aid group and see if your record could be expunged. That would solve any issue with your hunting rights you so desperately wish to pursue - as long as the prey isn't four legged . (Hope all of you picked up that this statement was a pun intended comment.)

Keep us all "concerned" citizens posted on your progress.

FOOTNOTE: Concerned meaning we care about our friends, and, hopefully,
you consider yourself one.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:03 AM

116 posts, read 445,067 times
I live in Philadelphia and have all my life, I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon and do. How off a statement that is to say criminals pray on other criminals and leave the innocent alone. I know they do go after one another but come on. And then you hear about gun laws and too many guns on the street. Lets get one thing straight right now, THERE ARE TOO MANY ILLEGAL GUNS ON THE STREETS!!!!!!!! The people who own there guns legally for the most part are not committing these crimes. Easy enough way to find out is track crimes committed with handguns and just find out how many were legally owned. And about 5 weeks ago I had a murder committed below me in the apartment downstairs in at 2pm in the after. My son was home with and said he heard fighting I went down to my shared landing and to listen as the walls are very thing and heard the struggle, I yelled up to my son to dial 911 and said I am getting my gun. I ran to the top of my stairs through on some pants and ran back down that quick they were gone but I found my 19 year old neighbor dead. They just caught the 1 of the people who did about a week ago it was an apparent robbery when the cops asked why they didnt take anything he said he heard me yell to call the cops and also heard me say i am getting my gun. The person said they would have gone after me if they had not heard about the gun. These 2 guys were armed with a gun and sword. That was the difference between myself and my son become a statistic we were that close. That is why we are out of this city and heading to the midwest I know crime is everywhere but that is too close for comfort as I am a single dad with 3 young children. I am the only line of defense and once I go down that is it. And I carry .40 caliber no 9mm if I pull that gun you better I am gonna finish the job. Sorry I got off the subject but in the state of pennsylvania you have to retreat to the farthest part in your home and make sure that person doesnt stumble outside your home.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 PM

That would solve any issue with your hunting rights you so desperately wish to pursue - as long as the prey isn't four legged . (Hope all of you picked up that this statement was a pun intended comment.)

Sorry guys, I wish to edit my post but forgot how. I meant - as long as the prey isn't two legged. As in humans. I guess I had too much, or maybe not enough, coffee when I was typing this response.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:03 PM

195 posts, read 1,079,885 times
Yes, gun nuts are awesome!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:10 PM

116 posts, read 445,067 times
Hehe I dont do the coffee thing but I have the occassional brainfreeze too

Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 PM

Default It's about safety and security

Quote:
Yes, gun nuts are awesome!
Hey, Vagabond, thought maybe you had backed out of here. Believe me I am not trying to change your perspectives but only provide explanations concerning a subject you don't seem to fully comprehend. Yes, maybe some of us are gun nuts. Nothing wrong with that just like football nuts, fishing nuts, cooking nuts, gardening nuts, and so forth. Hunting, although a sport most of the time, is still considered by some a natural way of providing food for the dinner table - like fishing and growing your own vegetables.

Guns, to me, afford a certain amount of safety and security allowing me to be in control of my environment. You drive, you use seatbelts. Safety and Security. Most people use cell phones for - safety and security - in case they break down, are involved in a accident, etc. If you have poor eyesight, you wear glasses/contacts - for safety and security - so you don't go bumping around. OSHA was established - for safety and security - so one is protected in the work environment. Prisons were established - for safety and security - to isolate the dangerous elements of our society. Military/law enforcement was established - for safety and security - to protect our citizens. Need I go on?

Nuts, yes, maybe so but I am a RESPONSIBLE nut, and my family appreciates it and loves me for caring so much for them I am willing to die or kill for their protection. But, then again, I am a mother and you know how strong that darn maternal instinct can be.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 PM

21 posts, read 169,230 times
"You have a much greater chance of being killed in a car accident, or having your arteries clog up cuz your a fat a$$, or getting cancer from all of those ciggerettes that you smoke."

honestly he has a point here, statistically speaking. However, I also have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident than dying in a house fire, and I still keep a fire extinguisher in here. Do I have a screw loose there, vagabond. All us paranoid, fire extinguishing nuts?

da jammer- That's the truth. A tragedy that close to you proves it can happen to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area