Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 34,637 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

A couple of questions. I may have a potential job offer in Springfield. Can anyone tell me how the locals treat a gut with tattoos?

Are there mountains near by in which I could spend time in nature?

IS the music scene country, western or both? Is there a rock or folk scene at all?

How about art? Is there a good art scene?

Thanks to all who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 PM

870 posts, read 3,081,296 times
Default I think you'd fit rite in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcartoon2012 View Post
Hello all,

A couple of questions. I may have a potential job offer in Springfield. Can anyone tell me how the locals treat a gut with tattoos?

IS the music scene country, western or both? Is there a rock or folk scene at all?

Just looking in the Springfield Yellow pages and there are over 20 listings for tattoo parlours and over 20 listings for Art Galleries! http://bestsmileys.com/art/2.gif (broken link) And I know there are a couple new tat shops in Branson that recently opened! It is not uncommon to see visible tatoos on store personell around the area, altho I know a few of the Time Share Co.'s and upscale restaurants make their peeps wear long sleeves.http://bestsmileys.com/sad/6.gif (broken link)
As far as nature experiences...We are practically surrounded by Mark Twain Natl. Forest and MO has the best Conservation Dept. I have ever seen! Nature Centers and Wildlife areas abound! I've been here for almost 8 years now, and there are many "Wonders" within a 50 mile radius that I have yet to explore....and we usually try to make a road trip every weekend!
There is a diverse music scene in the area....Of course Branson capitalizes on Country, but we have had many Classic Rock concerts that were sold out here, too. Springfield attracts alot of the "BIG" acts on tour, rock or otherwise. http://bestsmileys.com/music1/11.gif (broken link) There are also quite a few "folk" type singer/songwriters trying to get a break, too! (My dh is one of them! But, alas, he is making a living playing in a show in Branson http://bestsmileys.com/music1/17.gif (broken link) --that's him!!!) Hope this helps a little!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 46,404 times
We have a very two-sided culture in Springfield. Either they love tats or hate them. This comes from being a college town and having a lot of older people - we are also a notch oin the bible belt. If you want a good tat while you are here go to Johnny @ Sacred Art on Glenstone. Tons of nature to get lost in and lots of water to play in! Springfield has a very diverse music scene ranging from country to techno. They are currently building a new arena and hopefully we will start getting some bigger names through here. We have the First Friday Art Walk downtown on the first Friday of every month and a pretty decent art museum. The ArtTrain will be on Commercial Street this weekend - A traveling art exibit on a train. lol. I thought it sounded interesting. We are not as big and cool as people would like you to believe but you sound interesting and should fit in just fine as soon as you can locate the other interesting people. lol. Hit up downtown on the weekends.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,933 times
Wink I love NE people!~

Hey there Mr. Cartoon! I love people from the North East...any chance you'll be thinkin' of opening a good deli?

(Most of us are from somewhere else...it's all about the food, baby.)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Old 11-24-2007, 01:16 PM

111 posts, read 392,620 times
Everything from scoop to nuts for you here. Springfield and Branson area gives you a little bit country and rock n' roll. Then you have the fine arts music symphonys. There are historic areas with local artists and out of town artists. Hills, little mountains, sunsets, lakes, rivers, entertainment, whatever you like it is here.

Springfield and Branson are within an hours drive of each other. The town of: Highlandville places you directly in the center between both major cities.

SLPK

Old 12-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,933 times
Default Info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcartoon2012 View Post
Hello all,

You know...I just realized I didn't really answer your questions in my quest for the perfect pastrami on rye...

Music:
Blues Society of the Ozarks
Springfield MO Music Venues (broken link)
Local Band Network - Music scene for Missouri-Springfield

Art:
SRAC Welcome
It's All Downtown - Springfield MO
City of Springfield, MO - Springfield Art Museum (http://www.ci.springfield.mo.us/egov/art/ - broken link)

Mountains:
Arkansas And The Ozarks Online Resource Guide (broken link)

I think a guy with tats will be treated like anywhere else. Some folks will look crosseyed, some will think you cool, most are too busy to worry about you much...hope you'll find the beauty & music & art you like...

Last edited by Lake Junkie; 12-08-2007 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: More info...

Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Thumbs up Bravo, Peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlynn0217 View Post
Just looking in the Springfield Yellow pages and there are over 20 listings for tattoo parlours and over 20 listings for Art Galleries! http://bestsmileys.com/art/2.gif (broken link) And I know there are a couple new tat shops in Branson that recently opened! It is not uncommon to see visible tatoos on store personell around the area, altho I know a few of the Time Share Co.'s and upscale restaurants make their peeps wear long sleeves.http://bestsmileys.com/sad/6.gif (broken link)
As far as nature experiences...We are practically surrounded by Mark Twain Natl. Forest and MO has the best Conservation Dept. I have ever seen! Nature Centers and Wildlife areas abound! I've been here for almost 8 years now, and there are many "Wonders" within a 50 mile radius that I have yet to explore....and we usually try to make a road trip every weekend!
There is a diverse music scene in the area....Of course Branson capitalizes on Country, but we have had many Classic Rock concerts that were sold out here, too. Springfield attracts alot of the "BIG" acts on tour, rock or otherwise. http://bestsmileys.com/music1/11.gif (broken link) There are also quite a few "folk" type singer/songwriters trying to get a break, too! (My dh is one of them! But, alas, he is making a living playing in a show in Branson http://bestsmileys.com/music1/17.gif (broken link) --that's him!!!) Hope this helps a little!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
You know...I just realized I didn't really answer your questions in my quest for the perfect pastrami on rye...

Music:
Blues Society of the Ozarks
Springfield MO Music Venues (broken link)
Local Band Network - Music scene for Missouri-Springfield

Art:
SRAC Welcome
It's All Downtown - Springfield MO
City of Springfield, MO - Springfield Art Museum (http://www.ci.springfield.mo.us/egov/art/ - broken link)

Mountains:
Arkansas And The Ozarks Online Resource Guide

I think a guy with tats will be treated like anywhere else. Some folks will look crosseyed, some will think you cool, most are too busy to worry about you much...hope you'll find the beauty & music & art you like...

I just came across this thread and have nothing to add to MrCartoon's request...but I had to comment on the great answers he's gotten across the board! I had no idea how to answer his questions but you all have done such a great job and I'm amazed once again at how important each person in the forum is.
http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/TN-2522-bravo.gif (broken link)Go MO peeps!!!

Besides the great and kind comments and opinions running throughout this thread, I can see that Darlynn and Lake Junkie have taken time to find some "serious" answers for MrCartoon's first post. If he wondered if there was anything to this forum stuff, I'm sure he'll be a believer once he sees these answers!!!

Welcome to the forum, MrCartoon!
http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/TN-4799-meteo.gif (broken link) MrsG

P.S. I'm off on a Repping Mission so I can say "Thanks!" in a tangible way!

P.S.P.S. When you find that "perfect pastrami on rye" or anything close to it, I'm in! That's one "date" that I won't have any trouble getting MRG interested in, too!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:29 PM
zip

1 posts, read 4,350 times
If you want the best of two worlds look at the town of Ozark just south of Springfield.Alot of free bluegrass music.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Right on, zip! Thursday nights in Town Square, huh? I guess they're over for the winter...do you know?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:55 PM

13 posts, read 37,408 times
Sounds like you will fit right in! Let us know if you decide to take the job. I have a few tattoos also and did not get too many cross eyed looks when we were there. People were friendly and very helpful when it came to trying to find my way around. I think you'll like MO ~ we liked it so much we decided to move there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area