Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:03 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
What a great post, Kurt!

I'm impressed! I had no idea what to suggest and I'm still amazed at how people find a certain thread that have something to offer to the OPer (Original Post-er).

I only have one thing to add...instead of just googling these sites, maybe the best place to start is our very own City Data site! Just go to //www.city-data.com/ and start searching!

Btw, welcome to the Springfield-Branson Forum! We're glad to have you drop by!
You are right about staying with our city-data group for info. If you check out Grand Lake, Oklahoma and Grove you will see more of my posts. The thing is I can't decide where I want to end up when I retire. I like Grand Lake because it reminds me of the lake I grew up on in Northern Minnesota. And there are lots of Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin people just like me that have sought out the Ozarks to get a more moderate climate. We are not really East Coast or Southern folks, so we just seek a place due south of us. If you draw a line from where I grew up on a lake in Northern Minnesota and go about 1,000 miles south you end up in--Branson!

I looked around Table Rock but wanted a dock and to be able to cut trees to assure a view. Grand Lake is not a Corps lake and was my only real option. I have a modest house there that I rent out. It is right on the main lake and the land is worth more than the house.

But it is getting a bit pricey even there. Real Estate taxes are way up. But, hey, it is prime lakefront so what do you expect! They tax me on the land and not the house.

I liked Branson--lots to do and even jobs for retirees taking tickets for the shows and all. I may end up there yet.

I just don't like the cold anymore, and that is why I discovered Toledo Bend Lake in Louisiana. But it is definitely not very Midwestern and quite isolated. Reminds me of hunting camps in Northern Minnesota. It is indeed warmer. I am thinking of just getting a doublewide in Louisiana and live here while getting rent income from Oklahoma. But Grand Lake is so beautiful where I am located--south in clearer and deeper water by the dam. And my house is almost in the lake--on a hill with a strong sea wall. I love being close to the water.

Will write some more. Tell me a bit about Branson. They have built a pretty fancy townhouse, condo complex right downtown I here. Things are getting upscale there. I really liked Branson--not the traffic--but the hills and the water. God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Maybe some Branson people would like to check out a cheaper winter retreat at Toledo Bend? The last time I was there I met a couple from Mountain Home, Arkansas that actually winter down here on the lake. They love to fish and you can do that all winter long down here without getting too cold.

I have 36 acres of undeveloped land that borders the lake. My real estate taxes are about $300 a year! What a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 AM

6 posts, read 53,241 times
Kurt,
Seems like you have thought of everything. You should check out Mountain View, AR, before you make your final decision. It is wonderful here! Nice people, small, quiet, White River, lakes to the North and South. We are about 2.5 hours South of Branson, MO.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:57 PM

86 posts, read 359,760 times
For mpope and kurt:

My first time posting here, but I have certainly read a lot! I live in Kansas City, I am a widow in my mid-60's, have social security income to live on. I am selling my house (yes, really! amazing, isn't it, in this housing market.) I never want to own a house again. I am looking for something to rent--something nice. Small is okay, but I would like a renovated house rather than an apartment complex with fitness center, swimming pool, etc. I don't need those. (Well, maybe I do, but I'm not gonna use them, so I don't wanna pay for them)

I've been thinking of moving to southern Missouri or NW Arkansas. My research seems to indicate the rentals are cheaper there; e.g., you get more for your money.

Any ideas? Kurt is your rental available?

By the way, even though I am a "senior citizen," I am not interested in places where there are "senior activities" (whatever those are.) In other words, I'm quite a young "oldie."

Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinkc View Post
By the way, even though I am a "senior citizen," I am not interested in places where there are "senior activities" (whatever those are.) In other words, I'm quite a young "oldie."
You go, girl.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 AM

6 posts, read 53,241 times
Hi jdinkc,
Check out the website for our Chamber of Commerce, should have lots of info for you. We have lots of activities. Finding a suitable rental might be a bit more difficult, but can be done with patience. Come see us when you can! Mountain View Arkansas, Your Place in the Ozark Mountains

Old 02-19-2008, 01:53 PM

86 posts, read 359,760 times
Thanks, Lake Junkie and mpope! Good information here, and Lake Junkie, here's a "high five" to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area