Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 02:32 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times

Advertisements

During my time at OTC in Springfield last year, I had gotten to like the city. During my tenure at OTC, I met many people (including professors) who where from Republic, Nixa, and Ozark. They ALL seem to think of Springfield as an "inferior" city but came to OTC anyway to finish the first half of their degrees.

I lived in Springfield with my girlfriend and neither of us thought of EVER moving to Ozark, Nixa, or Republic during our stay in the area. We thought that Springfield was just fine in terms of police/fire protection and in terms of quality of schools.

So my main question remains: what makes Springfield schools so bad to those who live in the suburban areas?? Statistically, from what I have seen, Springfield is MUCH safer than other cities in this country of similar size such as Birmingham, AL, and Jackson, MS.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM

13 posts, read 39,431 times
People want to believe the area they live in is the best. As an MSU alum, I was never exposed to the Ozark-Nixa-Republic circle-jerk, but the St. Louis superiority complex was fairly prevalent.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:04 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
During my time at OTC in Springfield last year, I had gotten to like the city. During my tenure at OTC, I met many people (including professors) who where from Republic, Nixa, and Ozark. They ALL seem to think of Springfield as an "inferior" city but came to OTC anyway to finish the first half of their degrees.

I lived in Springfield with my girlfriend and neither of us thought of EVER moving to Ozark, Nixa, or Republic during our stay in the area. We thought that Springfield was just fine in terms of police/fire protection and in terms of quality of schools.

So my main question remains: what makes Springfield schools so bad to those who live in the suburban areas?? Statistically, from what I have seen, Springfield is MUCH safer than other cities in this country of similar size such as Birmingham, AL, and Jackson, MS.
I don't know much about this issue, but I know what you're talking about. I believe the suburban towns you mentioned are sort of exclusive, much like desirable suburbs anywhere. By exclusive, I mean they are socioeconomically segregated, mostly limited to middle class+ families. The schools themselves in Springfield may be good, but when parents send their kids to schools in Ozark, Nixa, and Republic, they have more control who their kids will be socialized and influenced by. I don't think this is any different than what goes on in most metro areas. Also, some parents may simply want to raise their kids in smaller, tighter-knit communities, in more of a small town environment.

This is a little off topic, but one thing I've noticed is that people, to some extent, create ghettos/bad areas. To me, being from Kansas City, I don't think Springfield has a ghetto or truly bad area. I don't even think most areas of Kansas City people think are so bad are really that bad either. I think perception sort of becomes reality. That's unfortunate, especially in a place like Springfield where a little bit of the opposite attitude would go a long way in improving all areas of town, none of which are really that bad, but with the prevailing pattern, actual ghettos and bad areas might become reality. People can only abandon and avoid certain areas so long before that happens.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:57 AM

13 posts, read 39,431 times
The North Side/South Side thing is ridiculous. People act like the north side of Springfield is East St. Louis, even though it's still a relatively safe area. There are nice neighborhoods and not-so-nice neighborhoods in every part of town. However, some of the most beautiful homes in town are on the north side. Just look at the places on South Street/North Benton, and Washington Ave. I'd rather have a Queen Anne with a large yard and full grown trees in front than a generic McMansion on a tiny plot on the south side.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:00 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamite View Post
The North Side/South Side thing is ridiculous. People act like the north side of Springfield is East St. Louis, even though it's still a relatively safe area. There are nice neighborhoods and not-so-nice neighborhoods in every part of town. However, some of the most beautiful homes in town are on the north side. Just look at the places on South Street/North Benton, and Washington Ave. I'd rather have a Queen Anne with a large yard and full grown trees in front than a generic McMansion on a tiny plot on the south side.

I was on North Side and a Guy was next door in middle of the day trying to take A/C unit off the house with the owner watching him and calling the Law. Plus I have seen plenty of drugs all over the city.

brushrunner

Old 06-30-2014, 12:37 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I never lived in any city that did not have an older, less affluent, area. It doesn't mean it was a ghetto, low class, full of crime, gangs, drugs or unsafe. You can live in a McMansion and find it too. If you want to see what real ghetto looks like you need to go to big cities with densely packed population like Chicago or LA.

Springfield is not a Garden of Eden but it is not a bad place to live, either. It is an old city with a history that began long before the Civil War.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 AM

367 posts, read 765,645 times
The satellite communities repeat what they hear til the half truths become an acceptable norm. The smaller the town the narrower the mind. Do a word association with the little towns and stretch your mind for a suitable word.

Larger cities are easy pickings for negative thoughts. As the OP mentioned, it doesn't outsiders from cherry picking the quality of education at a fraction of a state school price at OTC.

LOl, if you listen to them too much you'll believe all their communities are the modern day version of Mayberry.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:27 AM

28 posts, read 54,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
Wow, I live in the PNW and our perception of Missouri is that KC, Lake of the Ozarks and Springfield are good places to live and or visit. St. Louis, even when I lived in Illinois, has always had the rep of being similar to Detroit or other "Keep Away" cities.
That used to be mostly East St Louis, across the river in IL, though that's changed in the last decade or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't know much about this issue, but I know what you're talking about. I believe the suburban towns you mentioned are sort of exclusive, much like desirable suburbs anywhere. By exclusive, I mean they are socioeconomically segregated, mostly limited to middle class+ families.
Actually, it's more the other way round. The outliers are mostly working class communities who resent the Springfield Elites and Middles constantly expanding out into "their" area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamite View Post
True, IF you go far enough North (past Ingram Mill, for example). It's the Kearny/Chestnut zone that is really the "dicy" area, esp once you get west of, say, National and esp west of Grant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I never lived in any city that did not have an older, less affluent, area. It doesn't mean it was a ghetto, low class, full of crime, gangs, drugs or unsafe. You can live in a McMansion and find it too.
I have a friend who lived out in the Battlefield area...you could, within 3/4 mile or so of his house find some of the nicest looking, but most dangerous neighborhoods. Lots of drugs, fights, etc.

Last edited by Springfield Citizen; 07-20-2014 at 12:36 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield Citizen View Post
Actually, it's more the other way round. The outliers are mostly working class communities who resent the Springfield Elites and Middles constantly expanding out into "their" area.
I understand what you're saying and don't doubt what you say is true, but what I said is right too.

The "elites" (upper-middle and upper class) tend to be able to survive amongst or in close proximity to the troubles of the lower class and ghetto types, because the vast difference and "distance" in social class provides a buffer or barrier. This is a phenomenon that's typical of cities. It's common that cities are sharply divided between elites and poor with no middle, with the truly middle-of-the-road off to themselves in the suburbs. From this perspective, you can understand why some people favor places like Ozark, Nixa, and Republic so much - it's so they can be free of the negative influences they would be subjected too living in close proximity to the lower class and ghetto types in the city, including everything from burglary, robbery, to simply the quality of socialization their children are subjected to at school and around the community.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:51 PM

28 posts, read 54,894 times
If Springfield were structured like a "typical" city, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. We don't have a centralized "ghetto" per se we have scattered pockets of "ghetto" all over the city proper, including the "core" as well as the "mid city" and "outer city", intermingled with nicer "middle class" areas and "affluent" areas.

Ozark, Nixa, et al are more like traditional "small towns" rather than "suburbs", and want to keep it that way. That's why (for example) there has been so much sneering about the "Southsiders" going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area