Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 PM

6 posts, read 13,845 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a job offer in Springfield..the problem is, I don't really want to raise my kids in an area where people are flying the confederate flag and bragging about how drunk they got last week. I've heard good things about Nixa, but having grown up in a small town I am leery of being the "outsiders". If I come off as elitist, well, sorry..I'm not concerned with race, but have had my fill of communities with rude entitled rednecks (Pendleton Oregon to name one) and I don't want to deal with that crap. My parents moved to buffalo several years ago, and they love it. I haven't spent much time in springfield though and honestly haven't found much good about the actual town. Nixa looks nice though and the housing market is definitely favorable to St. Charles. So what am I looking at here in terms of idiot hoosier rednecks...I haven't found a pie chart that covers that demographic. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 PM

367 posts, read 765,645 times
Nothing says you have to hang out with drunks or rednecks. Mature adults seek out their own kind and Nixa has plenty of quiet neighborhoods to settle in, The school system is top notch ans Springtown is a few miles down the road with numerous job opportunities.

I'm not sure what your other reservations are so I'll stop here and pick up this thread if it evolves.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 PM

My reservations are mostly the influences that my kids will grow up seeing. Poorer economic areas generally have a higher rates of alcoholism, smoking and a certain lack of standards. I know people gravitate to their own, I'm just curious as to what the lowest common denominator is. The "i'm stupid and proud of it" mentality that some folks have. It's starting to creep up where we live now and it's frustrating. I'd prefer to not live somewhere worse. Although, the difference in housing prices is awesome.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
With that attitude I'm sure the locals will welcome you with open arms..

Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 PM

My attitude is that I don't want to live in an area where there are a lot of Billy Bobs running around sporting rebel flag merchandise and treating my wife like crap because she doesn't think Larry the Cable guy is funny. Been there, done that. My impression of certain areas is that there are some really nice houses in the outlying areas of Springfield. I just don't want to waste my time researching an area if the people in those communities don't take any pride in their neighborhood's appearance. I have served on my subdivision board of trustees for 3 years and that experience has jaded me a bit. I'll never understand why people don't want their houses and yards to look nice, and it is beyond me that some people act like they're proud that they have tall grass and junk in their yards. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I think you are looking at one extreme type of behavior. You will find some of that anywhere in Missouri. There is another type of extreme behavior...Bible Belt intolerance. You will find that, too, probably more so in SW Missouri than St. Charles. But those are extremes....most people are relatively normal. Maybe they're more conservative politically than other places -- more so than I could deal with -- but basically good people. If the job offer is a good one you can be choosy about where you live.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:20 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonandHeidi View Post
My wife and I are considering a job offer in Springfield..the problem is, I don't really want to raise my kids in an area where people are flying the confederate flag and bragging about how drunk they got last week. I've heard good things about Nixa, but having grown up in a small town I am leery of being the "outsiders". If I come off as elitist, well, sorry..I'm not concerned with race, but have had my fill of communities with rude entitled rednecks (Pendleton Oregon to name one) and I don't want to deal with that crap. My parents moved to buffalo several years ago, and they love it. I haven't spent much time in springfield though and honestly haven't found much good about the actual town. Nixa looks nice though and the housing market is definitely favorable to St. Charles. So what am I looking at here in terms of idiot hoosier rednecks...I haven't found a pie chart that covers that demographic. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
I would suggest staying away from Springfield and the Ozarks altogether. The "redneck rate" is high there and will especially seem so to you. But looking at the smaller towns surrounding Springfield instead of Springfield itself seems like the last thing you would want to do. If you do move there, I'd recommend southeast Springfield if you want suburban or the Walnut Street and inner southeast quadrant if you want an urban, historic, and an older, leafy neighborhood. Really though, I don't think Springfield or the region is for you. That would be like any other type of bigot moving to a place with people they don't like.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
The "redneck rates" are likely about equal to the "snob rates" and "raise my child in a bubble rates," some might bring to the area. Why, you might even find a pervasive "I'm bigoted and proud of it" mentality in the burbs so I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:50 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Brandon, read your post....why in the hell would you want to move to some place you clearly despise.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:41 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,392 times
These people who seem to hate "rednecks" are the same one who will begging for the rednecks' help when all hell breaks loose since most true rednecks know how to survive. Stay the hell up in St. Charles because we really don't need any more intellectual snobbish liberals. I have yet to see a "rebel" flag flying in this area but I have seen them sold in different store. What would be nice is if the snobs would actually learn what a true redneck is and what the true meaning of the word is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area