U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2007, 10:26 PM
 
Location: so cal
1,110 posts, read 2,316,831 times
Reputation: 1042

Advertisements

Looking for personal experiences from anyone who has worked for Bass Pro in Spingfield. When we "retire" and relocate I thought it might be nice to work behind the gun counter or in the fishing department for a little extra $$.
The employees at the Bass Pro here in So Cal do not seem too happy. I am hoping the home office might be different.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,150 posts, read 8,238,887 times
Reputation: 6341
I don't have any first hand experiance about working for BPS, I have visited it a few times and the employees seem like any other employees of a big retail outfit... Personally I think if I wanted to work the hunting and fishing counter I'd look for a smaller, more personal tackle shop/gunstore, where you could develop a relationship/friendship with your customer base...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 01:38 PM
 
1,291 posts, read 2,770,175 times
Reputation: 1264
You might want to consider working at their DC off Kearney if you're not into the retail side of things. They have a huge distribution center fulfilling web and catalog orders. Plus the IT group is there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Southwest Missouri
1,921 posts, read 6,091,596 times
Reputation: 924
I'd have to agree with Cali. I've never been on the employee side of the gun counter, but I've walked out of Bass Pro several times because I couldn't get decent service on the customer side. In my opinion, Bass Pro is a tourist trap that happens to carry sporting goods. Perhaps you could help to turn things around, but I think that odds are greater that you'd get quite frustrated with the work environment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Tibet
55 posts, read 214,302 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Looking for personal experiences from anyone who has worked for Bass Pro in Spingfield. When we "retire" and relocate I thought it might be nice to work behind the gun counter or in the fishing department for a little extra $$.
The employees at the Bass Pro here in So Cal do not seem too happy. I am hoping the home office might be different.
I know this thread is old but I bumped it because I thought it might have some relevence to others. I worked at Bass Pro Shops in the Hemmingway's restaurant for 4 years. It started out as a good job but went downhill as time went on. I strongly will agree with 8 Snake that it is a toursit trap with sporting goods as bait.

As for the original question...there are a mixed bag of employees in the retail outlets. Most are college kids who could care less about the job or any service they could give. And really why should they? Bass pro offers them no benefits and little pay. Some of the employees are quite helpful but they tend to be retired and wokring the more specialized positions (flyfishing, guns) as a labor of love more than anything else.

The attitude of the employees in SoCal can probably be chocked up to Bass pro corporate's business strategies. Anywhere they open a store its the same thing - union busting, hiring in people at rock bottom wages etc....
Now on the corporae side I have heard that the workikng conditions are much better. I only went out to corporate a few times but the people seemed to like their jobs and had happier demeanors than the retail side. I made much more money, at least in the first few years, as a waiter than any of the people working the retail floor but in all I wouldn't recommend the job to anyone. Corporate postition? Possibly could be better but breaking into it might be tougher.

Last edited by Junk Bond; 05-22-2008 at 12:46 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 06:22 AM
 
Location: so cal
1,110 posts, read 2,316,831 times
Reputation: 1042
Thanks for the delayed post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 21,545 times
Reputation: 14
Default working at bass pro

well you will never be bored here in Missouri if you want to help people out at either the gun or fishing counter. I think its almost a state requirement for citizenship to enjoy one of those two pastimes. Can't say a lot about how the store is as I work in the warehouse myself. You do get a pretty good discount on store merchandise if you work for bass pro, also good at tracker. If you work at corporate, at least on the office side, they have it pretty good- a really nice cafeteria with lots of food options and they even have an onsite health club you can join for a monthly fee. people who work in the store can join it too. as I work on the warehouse side, we have a much leaner lunchroom and food offerings, but still decent. work in the warehouse is pretty fast paced and not sure if this is legal or not, but the managers include your break time in your production, which doesn't seem right to me, somehow. Didn't walmart get in trouble for making employees in some locations work off the clock? wouldn't what bass pro is doing with breaks counted into production be the same thing? I realize you are paid for breaks, but isn't it a federal law that the company has to provide so many breaks and the employee has to take them?

when I say fast paced let me give you an example. Imagine a warehouse the size of a super walmart with aisles of shelves sectioned off into 3 large groupings and in the middle,conveyor belts which twist in loops and which you must walk all the way around- like those lines you wait in to go on rides at amusement parks. some of the shelves are over 10 feet high, requiring a ladder. now you get an order which requires you to get items from say 5 areas in this warehouse. since you only have to get 5 items, you get 5 minutes to traverse this area and bring it back to the pallet area. ready , set , go. I find it hard to believe that management has ever had to try to complete one of these type of orders- it is impossible to complete. the only thing that can help you make time is to get longer orders in which most of the stuff comes from the same area. I am fairly new, but have been told the employees have complained and actually started a petition to have management take another look at production times, but apparently management refused to comply.
and management does not seem to make it a practice to encourage employees. I have actually made over production most weeks since I started , working on orders which are different than those I mentioned above and I have yet to hear a supe' say "good job" . but they will nitpick you to death on the small stuff like signing in. Not only do you clock in, you have to sign an attendance sheet at the desk and then sign in at each thing you do, regardless of the fact that you carry around a production sheet in which you chronicle each thing you did, along with the time you did it. a lot of redundancy if you ask me. GOd forbid you sign the wrong sheet though, because even though they have your production sheet, plus your time clock punches, and the fact that you had to scan a badge to actually get in to the warehouse they might not be able to tell you were there. Then you are in for it. (rolls eyes). I take pride in doing a good job but it is the little things like this plus the stress that can just eat away at job satisfaction, you know? employee turnover at the warehouse is very high, though for the store< I don't believe it is so high. I haven't seen a lot of openings there advertised.
sorry, didn't mean to vent, just a little frustrated. the store itself is probably fun and if you enjoy those two activities, you should enjoy yourself. plus the company does seem to do a lot of special events- they do a rib cookout in spring at the main store- a benefit for children's charities, and they have sporting events as well as the Nascar promotions- though to tell the truth, I don't understand how car racing and an outdoor chain actually go together, but guess that's where the money is- at least til gas gets too expensive to throw away on racing cars. guess my complaint there is the same as for the attitude of churches at times, everyone wants to save the soul overseas, but not help the church member that lives right down the street. no glamour to that I guess. feed the children, but employees- they are just tools to use. suck them dry and spit them out . sorry again, today was rough, and then I saw your post.

didn't know they hunted in So cal- guess i think of CA and picture masses of people.
hope I helped you.

Last edited by bass pro employee; 06-25-2008 at 08:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 PM
 
4 posts, read 27,875 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass pro employee View Post
well you will never be bored here in Missouri if you want to help people out at either the gun or fishing counter. I think its almost a state requirement for citizenship to enjoy one of those two pastimes. Can't say a lot about how the store is as I work in the warehouse myself. You do get a pretty good discount on store merchandise if you work for bass pro, also good at tracker. If you work at corporate, at least on the office side, they have it pretty good- a really nice cafeteria with lots of food options and they even have an onsite health club you can join for a monthly fee. people who work in the store can join it too. as I work on the warehouse side, we have a much leaner lunchroom and food offerings, but still decent. work in the warehouse is pretty fast paced and not sure if this is legal or not, but the managers include your break time in your production, which doesn't seem right to me, somehow. Didn't walmart get in trouble for making employees in some locations work off the clock? wouldn't what bass pro is doing with breaks counted into production be the same thing? I realize you are paid for breaks, but isn't it a federal law that the company has to provide so many breaks and the employee has to take them?

when I say fast paced let me give you an example. Imagine a warehouse the size of a super walmart with aisles of shelves sectioned off into 3 large groupings and in the middle,conveyor belts which twist in loops and which you must walk all the way around- like those lines you wait in to go on rides at amusement parks. some of the shelves are over 10 feet high, requiring a ladder. now you get an order which requires you to get items from say 5 areas in this warehouse. since you only have to get 5 items, you get 5 minutes to traverse this area and bring it back to the pallet area. ready , set , go. I find it hard to believe that management has ever had to try to complete one of these type of orders- it is impossible to complete. the only thing that can help you make time is to get longer orders in which most of the stuff comes from the same area. I am fairly new, but have been told the employees have complained and actually started a petition to have management take another look at production times, but apparently management refused to comply.
and management does not seem to make it a practice to encourage employees. I have actually made over production most weeks since I started , working on orders which are different than those I mentioned above and I have yet to hear a supe' say "good job" . but they will nitpick you to death on the small stuff like signing in. Not only do you clock in, you have to sign an attendance sheet at the desk and then sign in at each thing you do, regardless of the fact that you carry around a production sheet in which you chronicle each thing you did, along with the time you did it. a lot of redundancy if you ask me. GOd forbid you sign the wrong sheet though, because even though they have your production sheet, plus your time clock punches, and the fact that you had to scan a badge to actually get in to the warehouse they might not be able to tell you were there. Then you are in for it. (rolls eyes). I take pride in doing a good job but it is the little things like this plus the stress that can just eat away at job satisfaction, you know? employee turnover at the warehouse is very high, though for the store< I don't believe it is so high. I haven't seen a lot of openings there advertised.
sorry, didn't mean to vent, just a little frustrated. the store itself is probably fun and if you enjoy those two activities, you should enjoy yourself. plus the company does seem to do a lot of special events- they do a rib cookout in spring at the main store- a benefit for children's charities, and they have sporting events as well as the Nascar promotions- though to tell the truth, I don't understand how car racing and an outdoor chain actually go together, but guess that's where the money is- at least til gas gets too expensive to throw away on racing cars. guess my complaint there is the same as for the attitude of churches at times, everyone wants to save the soul overseas, but not help the church member that lives right down the street. no glamour to that I guess. feed the children, but employees- they are just tools to use. suck them dry and spit them out . sorry again, today was rough, and then I saw your post.

didn't know they hunted in So cal- guess i think of CA and picture masses of people.
hope I helped you.
I worked at bass pro shops a few years back. I had fun but no most of the employees dont like it. You are right that the mangement does not really care much about what the employees think. The discount was nice although I didnt buy many things there very often. I always heard the rumor was that the corporate side got all the goodies and perks but I guess there are problems as you say. I have worked for a few other of the larger employers in Springfield and its really not any different with them. They seem to treat us all like we are cattle and when they are done milking they get rid of us. Maybe its just that way with any business I dont know but I would not recommend anyone who is looking for anything other than a part time job to work there. The full time employees were a sad bunch. I am a hard woker with pride too but it seems that the harder you work the more hard work you get.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 12:55 PM
 
570 posts, read 1,498,744 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitmuffin View Post
I worked at bass pro shops a few years back. I had fun but no most of the employees dont like it. You are right that the mangement does not really care much about what the employees think. The discount was nice although I didnt buy many things there very often. I always heard the rumor was that the corporate side got all the goodies and perks but I guess there are problems as you say. I have worked for a few other of the larger employers in Springfield and its really not any different with them. They seem to treat us all like we are cattle and when they are done milking they get rid of us. Maybe its just that way with any business I dont know but I would not recommend anyone who is looking for anything other than a part time job to work there. The full time employees were a sad bunch. I am a hard woker with pride too but it seems that the harder you work the more hard work you get.
I don't doubt what you say, But it's that way most anywhere you work. What you say sounds like the place I worked for and that was a long ways from Springfield. So it's the same where ever you go. Work sucks, So glad to be retired
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 06:03 PM
 
1 posts, read 19,915 times
Reputation: 29
To all those who are curious about working at Bass Pro, I have worked there for many years both as full time and as P.A.C.E. I was actually hired by accident. I work with a variety of people some who make it their mission to provide excellent customer service and some who are only working till they get through school. I read most of the posts and really got annoyed at the belly aching. Bass pro starts its employees out at a very generous wage. Full time employees are offered insurance and its pretty good compared to most packages I've seen. The working environment is what you make it. If you don't want to be there then quit there are others that would like to have a job. I have worked just about every job there is to work and currently I fill in when they need an extra hand but I still get my discount and the extra perks that are offered. I am happy to recommend Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, MO to anyone who is looking for an active, environment where they can meet new people and have an adventure everyday. There is also a little bonus provided if the person you recommend gets hired and gets through their 90 days. As far as being a tourist trap, it's only a trap if you feel that way. Bass Pro is not setting traps on the highway and dragging people in with nets. I have seen the faces of the children as they pass by the turtle pond or gaze at the large mouth bass in the big aquarium. I have seen grown men's eyes light up when they walk in and see all the mountings of bucks on the wall at the grand entrance. I also enjoy seeing the kids cringe when they walk past the stuffed grizzly bear near camping and take their father's hand as he reassures them that it's all right. Then they lift them up to it's mouth and let them feel the sharp teeth. There are a lot of memories made at Bass Pro and for the most part are free. I just wish people would think about what they are getting and stop belly-aching about what they aren't so that maybe the employees could enjoy their jobs a bit and not have to listen to those who not only don't enjoy getting a steady paycheck every week but just can't let someone else enjoy theirs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top