U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,346 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Springfield, MO area in Nov! I'm excited. We have a small family w a school aged child. Great schools and safety are top priority. We are looking to rent for a year before we buy. $1000-$1200 range. Any advice on which "suburb" of Springfield will be best. Nixa, Ozark. Republic. Battlefield or another that I am unaware of. Walking trails and a rec center/family center would be a plus. Thanks and hope to see you all soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 23,890 times
Default Looking too!

We are probably moving to the area in July of next year. So we are starting to look where to live. We've heard the schools in these towns are a little bit better. But does anyone have good info of which one? My husband will work in Springfield. How small are these towns? Do most go into Springfield for everything? Would love more info too!

Old 11-21-2014, 05:42 PM

902 posts, read 1,911,551 times
If you want to be slam up against Springfield you should add Willard and Rogersville to your list. All of them except Rogersville actually share borders with Springfield. All have advantages and disadvantages; what is "best" will depend upon your precise wants and needs. Best school system is also a matter of opinion, but my perception is that Nixa, Willard, and Rogersville have the strongest supporters. Other people will make the case for their school system, and it is hard to say they are wrong.

The major shopping districts not only in Springfield but in the entire market area are located, in order of size, at (1) extreme southeast Springfield at James River Expressway at Glenstone, (2) near James River Expressway in south Springfield, and (3) near I-44 and Kansas in northwest Springfield. Medical services are concentrated in south central Springfield.

Willard, Nixa, Republic, Ozark, Rogersvile and Republic all are large enough to have their own sense of community; Battlefield not so much. Republic, Ozark, and Nixa all have substantial shopping districts of their own, including big box stores. Willard has quick access to the shopping area in northwest Springfield, and Rogersville is only 10 or 12 minutes to the large shopping area in southeast Springfield - much quicker than most of Springfield itself.

Some attention will need to be paid to the commute and traffic to your job. There is really no substitute for spending time looking at any community that seems good to you.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:43 AM

367 posts, read 693,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
If you want to be slam up against Springfield you should add Willard and Rogersville to your list. All of them except Rogersville actually share borders with Springfield. All have advantages and disadvantages; what is "best" will depend upon your precise wants and needs. Best school system is also a matter of opinion, but my perception is that Nixa, Willard, and Rogersville have the strongest supporters. Other people will make the case for their school system, and it is hard to say they are wrong.

The major shopping districts not only in Springfield but in the entire market area are located, in order of size, at (1) extreme southeast Springfield at James River Expressway at Glenstone, (2) near James River Expressway in south Springfield, and (3) near I-44 and Kansas in northwest Springfield. Medical services are concentrated in south central Springfield.

Willard, Nixa, Republic, Ozark, Rogersvile and Republic all are large enough to have their own sense of community; Battlefield not so much. Republic, Ozark, and Nixa all have substantial shopping districts of their own, including big box stores. Willard has quick access to the shopping area in northwest Springfield, and Rogersville is only 10 or 12 minutes to the large shopping area in southeast Springfield - much quicker than most of Springfield itself.

Some attention will need to be paid to the commute and traffic to your job. There is really no substitute for spending time looking at any community that seems good to you.
I want you to quantify Battlefield's "sense of community"? As a fourteen year resident I will say that your statement is completely void of any knowledge about my city. I'll PM the OP and leave you to do your homework and report back on the wealth of knowledge missing in the original post.

#Battlefieldproud

Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 AM

367 posts, read 693,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momegal View Post
We are moving to Springfield, MO area in Nov! I'm excited. We have a small family w a school aged child. Great schools and safety are top priority. We are looking to rent for a year before we buy. $1000-$1200 range. Any advice on which "suburb" of Springfield will be best. Nixa, Ozark. Republic. Battlefield or another that I am unaware of. Walking trails and a rec center/family center would be a plus. Thanks and hope to see you all soon.
Sent you a PM. The correct answer to your post would consist of 5000 words. If your more specific I can assist.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:58 PM

77 posts, read 191,630 times
I want the same answer as the OP, as I'm looking at the same communities. I'm staying on the south side of town for the next week or so, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:37 PM

77 posts, read 191,630 times
I myself decided on Battlefield, I like the newer cookie cutter neighborhoods on the west side and traffic isn't very bad.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,491 times
We just moved here a month ago from northeast PA. We are in Rogersville which is 10 mi east of Springfield. It's a beautiful area with low rents. I rented a 3 bedroom duplex w a two car garage for only $650 a month. It's very rural here but shopping is only 10 min away. I've been to Nixa, Ozark and Republic. I liked Nixa the best. You can probably get a duplex for rent for around $800-1000 a month. The YMCA is not far rom there. They have a lot of family programs and a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area