Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,163 times

Advertisements

I like to move a lot. I've lived in CA, MI, MT, CO, and WV. Now I'm thinking about Springfield, MO. I've never been there. I always move places without visiting, although we may take a trip there in February just to see what it's like in the winter.
My favorite place so far has been WV. I love the trees. The hilly, winding roads, not so much. There also seems to be an overabundance of government regulations. I love that I can sit outside in the summer and not get eaten by mosquitoes, like I did in MT.
How are the mosquitoes in Springfield? Can you be outside in the summer and fall without having to cover yourself with DEET?
How are the roads? Everything in WV is a twisting two-lane. I drive like a grandma, especially in the winter. I hate that cars can't pass me and would like to live somewhere with either straighter roads, or roads with more lanes that allow for passing. Also, is the city good about plowing/salting the roads in the winter?
I am very unhappy with the schools where we are. How are the schools in Springfield?
If anyone has been to WV, how does it compare to the Springfield area (we are in the Morgantown area)?
When we were moving to WV everyone warned us about humidity, snakes, bugs, spiders, hillbillies, and wet, wet weather. I found that none of those things are bad here (or at least it doesn't bother me). Are the bugs, humidity, snakes, and wet snow worse in Springfield, or about the same? Looking at the info. on this website, it looks like the average humidity in Springfield is actually lower than where we are now.
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 09:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Did anyone bother telling you the Springfield is in the Ozarks? That means twisty-turny, uppy-downy, narrow two-lane roads. It also means snakes, mosquitos, spiders, the black howler and worst of all, rednecks and hillbillies. Why them thar critters might could ruin yur whole day! And weather? We serve excitement. We have tornadoes, straight-line winds, snow storms, ice storms, heat, humidity, thunderstorms that will rage around you for hours at a time. This is the aux arcs. It's wild, untamed and backwards.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:51 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I've driven through WV and that's about it. Springfield is a large town. If you're talking about being in Springfield, the roads are what you would expect anywhere in a large town. The roads here are MUCH straighter and flatter than what you will find in WV, even well outside of town. We just don't have the kind of mountains you have there (which are beautiful, BTW). Roads here are generally well-maintained although all bets are off if a bad ice storm comes through. Dealing with ice is much more difficult than dealing with snow. I've been here for 6 years now and I don't really recall any wet snows like we have back east.
Mosquitos: again in town they just don't seem that bad. Living out in the country, it's a different story, but again, no different than any place in the country that I've ever been to (I've moved around several times myself).
I can't speak for the schools, I don't have kids. I did go to MSU in Springfield for my graduate degree and that was a great experience, Good school and very affordable.
Gov't regulations are less here than on the east coast in general (although I cannot compare to WV specifically). Towns will have some; live out in the country, in a place outside of township limits, and there are even less regulations.

Come visit! There's no way of knowing if a place is right for you without experiencing it, IMO.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:59 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Did anyone bother telling you the Springfield is in the Ozarks? That means twisty-turny, uppy-downy, narrow two-lane roads. It also means snakes, mosquitos, spiders, the black howler and worst of all, rednecks and hillbillies. Why them thar critters might could ruin yur whole day! And weather? We serve excitement. We have tornadoes, straight-line winds, snow storms, ice storms, heat, humidity, thunderstorms that will rage around you for hours at a time. This is the aux arcs. It's wild, untamed and backwards.
Hey just tuff up! And enjoy.

brushrunner

Old 12-28-2014, 05:19 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We have tornadoes, straight-line winds, snow storms, ice storms, heat, humidity, thunderstorms that will rage around you for hours at a time. .
And sometimes we have all these the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area