Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM

44 posts, read 156,217 times

Advertisements

I think the politics of our country is really getting bizarre and so i try not to talk too much about it .... I happen to like the attitudes and morals I've observed in MO. so far.... To alleviate the local's apprehensions I just want to say that I believe in good old fashioned common sense , gimme that oldtime religion, I like to play music that is at least 100 years old , I like to shoot guns and grow my own food and speak my own mind instead of towing the party line that we are force to do here (or risk losing our job ! ) in the liberal utopia of the People's Republic- NJ branch

I need a place to escape to ...

Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM

156 posts, read 387,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post

And again, I agree...but I would use the word OPINION rather than TRUTH.

Anyone?
I like differing opinions because I like to see what other people think. However, I have always believed that those opinions should be offered with enough wiggle room in them for others to feel their opinion is good too. It's not always what you say...but how you say it... is an old saying that is so very true. Opinions are very often based on personal perceptions. Not too many people have exactly the same perceptions of anything though lol. When someone offers an opinion, you must decide on your own whether that person is knowledgeable, reliable, and dependable to a point you could find some agreement with them. Then you can make some determination as to the truthfulness or not of their opinions I would think...but what the heck do I know anyway?

One little bitty opinion me thinks might be a little true though...People in Springfield do have a bit of an accent....don't go having a cow or anything...it's not bad just a little different...and I've been made fun of by my relatives who live there for my New Orleans accent so I guess diversity is alive and well...and that's just an opinion

Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryS View Post
It's not always what you say...but how you say it... is an old saying that is so very true.
That is a saying I use almost every day, and one of the most truthful things I have ever heard! I just wish more folks would use it, and what lies behind it.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,255 times
I would have to agree with your wife. I moved to a small town, just 1 hour north of Springfield, a little over 2 years ago. I moved from Chicago. Let me tell you just because it is considered "the city " to these rednecks, it's nothing like California, or Colorado Springs! I have family in Colorado and have been there numerous times.

Springfield is not a very big city, as far as big cities go. And yes thery are more diverse thatn the small town I live in, there are still people who make you feel like dirt, just with their looks if you are a minority.

She will hate it!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 PM

the vast majority of missourians are not like that. I hope you dont judge all of us by what has happened to you. Unfortunately, there are intolerant folks everywhere, in every state.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Oddly enough, I agree with most of what everyone is saying. My perspective, tho, is trying to separate "facts" from "truth". When someone is asking an OPINION of an area, like the OP, what they will receive are a lot of different people's "truths". La M's truth may be different from my truth. The facts are hard and cold...truths are not necessarily...ya with me?
Me is getting confused lol. I see it as there are opinions, which are usually based on ones experiences, enviornment, morals, etc. Then there are truths and facts which are truths and facts lol, not just an opinion. There is only one truth, the truth is the truth, any other description of it would be falsifying it. There are some truths that no matter how you say it just would'nt come across in a nice way to someone who is easily offended. Ya just gotta take or leave what others say.
Gee wiz, how come I can never give you any reps, I am spreading them around lol.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:10 PM

one persons truth, is anothers opinion, and vice-versa. btw, I repped ya, Mo!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
one persons truth, is anothers opinion, and vice-versa. btw, I repped ya, Mo!
Your right, I should think more before replying lol . This occured to me as I thought more. Told ya I was confused. Thanks for the reps!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,758 times
Default Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
Me is getting confused lol. I see it as there are opinions, which are usually based on ones experiences, enviornment, morals, etc. Then there are truths and facts which are truths and facts lol, not just an opinion. There is only one truth, the truth is the truth, any other description of it would be falsifying it. There are some truths that no matter how you say it just would'nt come across in a nice way to someone who is easily offended. Ya just gotta take or leave what others say.
All I'm saying......is that what is TRUTH to you might not be truth to someone else. Facts are hard to dispute. Like the high temperature was 39 degrees today. FACT. But whether that 39 degree temperature felt cold or mild...that could be someone's truth...no? I could say, "It's WAAAYYYY cold...to the bone...sweaters 'n scarves...can't wait for summer COLD today." That's my truth. Someone who just moved here from Upstate NY could say..."That's not COLD...you haven't seen cold!" and that's their truth!

Like...my absolute true story about my ex-marriage might differ slightly from my ex's version...

Are you with me?

Or...should I say with my almost-perfect-Missouri-accent...not having a cow or nuthin...
Are You'ns with me?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
I's shore wit ya, LJ!

So, Mr. & Mrs. Lefecious, whaddaya think? Does Springfield prevail over Colorado Springs, or versa vica??!! All of us inquiring minds wanna know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area