Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times

Advertisements

Lefecious-
Respect your honesty regarding wife's image of a particular place. It is clear she has never visited the area, and in relocating anywhere, one must see for oneself first. Cannot compare to Cali, plenty of folks here can, however. But will try to address some of it. It is far from flat, but no mountains, just big hills. But they are very scenic and picturesque. Lots of beautiful lakes and clear waterways. Lots of woods, but I'm sure the types of trees would be different, as the climate and land is different. There are multiple churches here of all styles, but Baptist seems to dominate (in many ways). The population is not toothless, and the native accents here are minimal as compared to deeper southern states (whether this is southern is open to debate on other postings). The stores and restaraunts here are typical highway chains with a smattering of smaller family owned places. Ethnic varieties more limited when comparing to a larger place. You will not find Whole Foods here, and doubt will in the near future. This is a big small town. Some prefer it like that, others don't. Only you can judge if it works for you guys.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 AM

51 posts, read 225,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefecious View Post
We're currently in Southern California and hate it. My wife wants to go to Colorado Springs where we don't know anyone, but I want to go to Springfield because my sister lives there.

Here's my wife's mental image of Missouri, hopefully you can help us sort out fact from fiction.

1. She thinks Springfield is flat. (she loves hiking and skiing in mountains)
2. She thinks Springfield is woodsy (small trees) but not foresty (she loves the BIG pine trees of the forest, like Big Bear California).
3. She thinks there will be a large percentage of closed-minded redneck toothless hillbillies.
4. She thinks I'll develop an accent after a couple years of living there.
5. She thinks everyone there is a baptist and that we won't find a normal liberal church. Not a church full of liberals, but one like we have here where the worship music sounds like rock 'n roll and you can wear jeans to church.
6. She thinks Springfield won't have our type of favorite stores and restaurants, like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market, Sam's Club, Ethnic markets like Vallarta (Mexican Supermarket) or a nice Asian Market, and ethnic restaurants like good mexican, asian, italian places. Not chains, but real authentic stuff.

I hope you aren't offended by this, I know she has some negative stereotypes but I think a large part of it is that she's looking for negatives because she wants Colorado Springs instead. I just want to get the facts from people who live there so we can at least make our decision with a more open-minded outlook.
Southern California - Lefecious. We too are Southern Californians who did the research, opted in, and bought property in SouthWest Missouri; with the plan of relocating within the next 12-18 months. Can't address all of the points as we bought real estate in a development (city) called Saddlebrooke; which is about 30 minutes south of Springfield off beautiful Highway 65 and about 15 minutes north of Branson. Saddlebrooke is not Colorado Springs (which to my way of thinking is a good thing.) Check it out Saddlebrooke Not flat, not hillbilly, non-denominational church to be built, new Sam's Club that is being built within 15 minutes, and the "only" new Regional Airport being built in the U.S. (scheduled to be completed May, 2009.) That is good for the economy and portends future growth. Correct, no Trader Joe's (yet) although we are told that there are people who make the Trader Joes run to St. Louis, so there are probably opportunities to still get the Trader Joe's goods. As for teeth or lack thereof, SW Mo is definitely not the stereotye that you may be thinking of with Billy Bob and the boys out back making moonshine. In fact, if you research the demographics on the area, you will see that SW Mo is very much like Orange County was 20 years ago (all good news.) As a former down hill skier, who has skied virtually every slope in the Rockies, if I had to make a choice between Colorado Springs and SW Mo, I would choose SW Missouri for quality of life and future growth investment opportunities. Best wishes moving forward.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 AM
C44

31 posts, read 113,767 times
Now, I'm really getting nervous about moving to Springfield. How bad are the chiggars and ticks? With 2 dogs-one long haired dog, are they really going to be bringing the pests into the house? I know there are collars and pills they can take-but how effective are they in this area. If I work in the garden will I be eaten alive? How safe is it for your skin to be covered up in spray all the time? Im not used to bugs and am trying to get a feel as to how bad it really is. Any tips on how to minimize the assualt? A friend of mine told about having a bad case of chiggars-he said the only remedy was to pour bleach on his skin. Said it was miserable!

As far as stores like Trader Joes and Whole Foods-they tend to move into areas that have a big demand for them. Salt Lake City, finally got a Whole Food (they bought out Wild Oats), but of course it was after I moved. Dang it!

Heard there is a Korean Market in Springfield-so there's one good place. What type of growth is there as far as demographics? If Springfield is growing-where are the people coming from?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:20 AM

537 posts, read 1,322,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltani View Post
I would choose SW Missouri for quality of life and future growth investment opportunities.
This is exactly what I am concerned about, those who move to places wanting to change it and make "investments". Is there anywhere sacred anymore that is'nt turning into California? Sounds like it's gonna be Missfornia soon. I know because I now live in Idahfornia, used to be quiet, beautiful lush trees. Now it is shoppers paradise with a strip mall on every corner and cookie cutter houses, increased crime. I would rather go where there are hill billy hicks with their teeth falling out, not trying to change everything to their desires. I don't care where you move from, but if you love where you are moving to so much don't try to change it into what you had before!

Also, if you are looking for organic/natural foods there are co-ops and health food stores in the area, heaven forbid they don't have a Trader Joes in every town in America

Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 PM
C44

31 posts, read 113,767 times
Anyone who moves to an area will make an investment to that community-whether it's financially or a lifestyle. Diversity brings changes that include economics, gender, family, religion, education, race, age, and so on. The beauty of this Country is that it allows it's citizens' to move freely without restrictions. I lived in So. Cali for 12 years and understand the problems that some diversity brings with it, and I agree on what a mess it is in certain areas. However, good diversity brings new ideas and good changes with it.

I too am seeking the perfect environment to live in-but I understand that I am not going to find it. Living as a minority (both religious and socially) in Utah, it was very difficult to adjust. But eventually I figured out that it was my problem and not the problem of those happy with the way things were.

However, for those who are unhappy because diversity is moving in and will change the landscape of a particular community, keep in mind that all communities are open to any US citizen and not just to those who want to keep things a certain way. We pay into the US Government for this privilege.

As far as wishful thinking and dreams of being able to live in a safe and cost effective community AND be able to shop at Trader Joes or Whole Foods at the same time-well, I can only hope someday...

If someone can PM me with the proper Springfield dialect and social customs...English is my first language, but I'm always up to new challenges!, I'll get started right away!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:08 PM

51 posts, read 225,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
This is exactly what I am concerned about, those who move to places wanting to change it and make "investments". Is there anywhere sacred anymore that is'nt turning into California? Sounds like it's gonna be Missfornia soon. I know because I now live in Idahfornia, used to be quiet, beautiful lush trees. Now it is shoppers paradise with a strip mall on every corner and cookie cutter houses, increased crime. I would rather go where there are hill billy hicks with their teeth falling out, not trying to change everything to their desires. I don't care where you move from, but if you love where you are moving to so much don't try to change it into what you had before!

Also, if you are looking for organic/natural foods there are co-ops and health food stores in the area, heaven forbid they don't have a Trader Joes in every town in America

"Different strokes for different folks." Change, like growing older, is inevitable. There is nothing inherently wrong with "sound investments." More logical than depreciating assets. Many of us feel that the U.S. with its capitalistic economy is still a better place in which to live than any other country. Otherwise, why would any of us choose to live here in the U.S.? Southwest Missouri is beautiful and a part of the reason for the influx of people from all over the country is because many of the civilized changes that have already occurred and are occurring in that area are appealing to those of us for whom the changes are positive. The good news is that for those who wish to live in more remote, rural, mountainous or less populated areas, there are still plenty of choices, even for the residents from the great State of California.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:22 PM

902 posts, read 718,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefecious View Post
3. She thinks there will be a large percentage of closed-minded redneck toothless hillbillies.
Hey there, I resent that. Most usn'all have our teeth!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:18 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,170 times
Default Colorado Over Missouri

I grew up my whole life in the Springfield area and have lived all over since. Where at in California are you currently living? I'm considering moving to LA or SD. I've been to CA and Colorado before but have never lived there so I'm going to tell you what I know about missouri. First off your wife is pretty right in all of her thinking.

1. The area is definitely not flat, there are lots of rolling hills. But there is definitely not skiing here. The only skiing close by would be in Eureka called Hidden Valley. And trust me when I say its terrible, they have to make their own snow.

2. It is woodsy with small trees, nothing like Big Bear.

3. There are so many close minded people in the area. This is a reason I could never live here anymore. There is a reason people call it the bible belt. I think the reason is that people grow up here with that mentality and never leave or live anywhere else. So they continue to have this close minded mentality. For someone who is somewhat liberal and very open minded, it really grows on you. I could only imagine how it would affect someone from ca. As far as rednecks......this is southern Missouri, not New York. But its not that bad if you never leave the city of Springfield.

4. You probably will develop an accent. I developed one when I moved to Pensacola Florida......I never had one till then.

5. Everyone here is a Baptist. I'm not that familiar with all of the different churches. But from what I've heard I don't know of anything like that.

6. Theres a Sams Club and some pretty good restaurant in the area and downtown. Marias, Nakato, Ocean Zen, Haruno, Bijans. One thing that bothers me is they don't have a Whole Foods here.

If I were you I would stay in California or Colorado. It sounds like Missouri will be a real shock for you and your wife. Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:09 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,738 times
[quote=california???;2564081]5. Everyone here is a Baptist.

Five more a comin

Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Springfield is the headquarters of the Assembly of God church, which is pentecostal, actually.

And I believe James River Assembly is pretty modern in their music and stuff. It's a very big church as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area