Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 AM

902 posts, read 717,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Springfield is the headquarters of the Assembly of God church, which is pentecostal, actually.

And I believe James River Assembly is pretty modern in their music and stuff. It's a very big church as well.
Since everyone happens to be Baptist that would explain the Catholic churches, the Luthern churches, the Methodists, Mennonites, and the many more that abound. That is not counting the Pagan religions that are all over the area. hmmmmmm Somebody forgot to tell me that all of us are Baptist, especially since I am not, though I am attending a wonderful progressive Baptist fellowship these days.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:19 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,758 times
Red face It's a trade off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefecious View Post
We're currently in Southern California and hate it. My wife wants to go to Colorado Springs where we don't know anyone, but I want to go to Springfield because my sister lives there.

Here's my wife's mental image of Missouri, hopefully you can help us sort out fact from fiction.

1. She thinks Springfield is flat. (she loves hiking and skiing in mountains)
2. She thinks Springfield is woodsy (small trees) but not foresty (she loves the BIG pine trees of the forest, like Big Bear California).
3. She thinks there will be a large percentage of closed-minded redneck toothless hillbillies.
4. She thinks I'll develop an accent after a couple years of living there.
5. She thinks everyone there is a baptist and that we won't find a normal liberal church. Not a church full of liberals, but one like we have here where the worship music sounds like rock 'n roll and you can wear jeans to church.
6. She thinks Springfield won't have our type of favorite stores and restaurants, like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market, Sam's Club, Ethnic markets like Vallarta (Mexican Supermarket) or a nice Asian Market, and ethnic restaurants like good mexican, asian, italian places. Not chains, but real authentic stuff.

I hope you aren't offended by this, I know she has some negative stereotypes but I think a large part of it is that she's looking for negatives because she wants Colorado Springs instead. I just want to get the facts from people who live there so we can at least make our decision with a more open-minded outlook.

Isn't it great that you're getting such a wide variety of opinions?

First of all, I'm remembering an old saying, "If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy..."...I've worked with enough couples to tell you right off the bat that you are probably fighting a losing battle. Sorry. Partly because we all find what we are looking for...and depending on where you settle, you'll find flat ground, puny trees, closed-minded redneck toothless hillbillies, accents, baptists, lack of proper stores & restaurants!

When I moved from Sacramento 14 years ago, there was no good Mexican food AT ALL by our tastes...no crusty sourdough bread...absolutely no fresh ocean seafood...and very limited good restaurants.

Since then, demand has created a need for this type of thing and some of these posters are right, we're making this into a little Missoufornia. We still don't have Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, but I see it coming in the next few years.

BUT.

You have to have a respect for the culture of the place you're moving into...to be able to consider the trade off.

It's a trade off!

And I personally love the history, the culture and the people of Missouri. They are the same people that went west not so long ago and became a different culture.

I personally accept whole-heartedly the trade!!!

So...my suggestion to you, dear original poster, would be to plan a couple of week-long vacations.
Spend a week in Colorado Springs.
Then spend a week in Springfield/Branson.

BUT FIRST!

You both have to be prepared to sit down and honestly explore your priorities. If you write your priorities down, then cut them up into little pieces of paper, then toss a coin to see who goes first picking out their top priority...then take turns picking the next on the list...etc.
You'll come up with a list of your priorities as a couple.
Take that list with you when you visit!

And...It's not that hard to fly from Colorado Springs to Springfield to visit your sister...if it makes mama happy!

Who knows...maybe you'll end up like so many people here who move one place first and THEN end up in Missouri!!!
Eh, Mrs. C???

Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Isn't it great that you're getting such a wide variety of opinions?

First of all, I'm remembering an old saying, "If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy..."...I've worked with enough couples to tell you right off the bat that you are probably fighting a losing battle. Sorry. Partly because we all find what we are looking for...and depending on where you settle, you'll find flat ground, puny trees, closed-minded redneck toothless hillbillies, accents, baptists, lack of proper stores & restaurants!

When I moved from Sacramento 14 years ago, there was no good Mexican food AT ALL by our tastes...no crusty sourdough bread...absolutely no fresh ocean seafood...and very limited good restaurants.

Since then, demand has created a need for this type of thing and some of these posters are right, we're making this into a little Missoufornia. We still don't have Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, but I see it coming in the next few years.

BUT.

You have to have a respect for the culture of the place you're moving into...to be able to consider the trade off.

It's a trade off!

And I personally love the history, the culture and the people of Missouri. They are the same people that went west not so long ago and became a different culture.

I personally accept whole-heartedly the trade!!!

So...my suggestion to you, dear original poster, would be to plan a couple of week-long vacations.
Spend a week in Colorado Springs.
Then spend a week in Springfield/Branson.

BUT FIRST!

You both have to be prepared to sit down and honestly explore your priorities. If you write your priorities down, then cut them up into little pieces of paper, then toss a coin to see who goes first picking out their top priority...then take turns picking the next on the list...etc.
You'll come up with a list of your priorities as a couple.
Take that list with you when you visit!

And...It's not that hard to fly from Colorado Springs to Springfield to visit your sister...if it makes mama happy!

Who knows...maybe you'll end up like so many people here who move one place first and THEN end up in Missouri!!!
Eh, Mrs. C???

(If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy ) It's to bad but often these kind of problems wind up in divorce.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:48 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,758 times
Red face If mama ain't happy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
(If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy...)
Junkman,
Every guy I've said that to that's been married a while nods knowingly......and Lord knows I'm certainly not an expert on staying married......but even good marriages take a lot of work! It's hard enough for one person to make up their mind, it's a lot harder when there's two...

It's said as a joke, but there's a grain of truth there...

Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
Such good responses! All I can say is I hope it doesn't get too much like Calissouria back there. But if it does, it'll be in a good way!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,761 times
Default MO vs CO

We moved here from NO Cal. last year after looking in CO (and other areas) first. Alot of what your wife believes is true. Springfield is relatively flat up north and gets into rolling hills as you go south. As you get past Ozark you get into bluffs and hills and lush woodlands.

She is right that we don't have soaring pines and gigantic redwoods. We don't have a lot of snow nor are there ski resorts. The area's weather definitely does NOT support growing those types of trees. But we have lush forests and woodlands. Oak trees, pines, cedar, hickory, and more are abundant.

We don't have Whole Foods (which did not originate in California BTW) nor do we have Trader Joes. We do, however, have other health food stores that fill most of the bill for the basic items. Both WF and TJ stores are in the St. Louis area if you need to make the occasional TJ run (some of us do).

But we also don't have the forest fires, lots of mosquito, heavy snows, or snarled traffic that Colorado Springs experiences.

There are closed minded people everywhere (and you WILL find them in CO too). But toothless hillbillies? I've never seen one. Lots of churches of every different faith abound here.

I can tell you that your wife sounds a lot like me a few years ago. I had to have TJ's, Whole Foods, tall pines, etc. After really looking at what I wanted for the long haul, this place can't be beat for us. And did I REALLY want to NOT move to an area because of a grocery store?

But like Lake Junkie says...you may be fighting a losing battle on this one. But come visit. Spend time in both areas. Make a list of what is important to both of you.

If you get her out here, come see us at one of the coffee meets.

Last edited by mrschilicook; 01-22-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
All I can say is I hope it doesn't get too much like Calissouria back there.
Me too, Eric...... I guess there's always Tennesse and Kentucky if'n all us prune pickers settle in Mo....

Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Ya. There are Trader Joes and Whole Foods in St. Louis, I believe, so you could probably travel up that way if you needed to stock up or something. I think your wife would enjoy Springfield, it's a beautiful area.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
Missouri has become home to quite a mixture of different individuals within the last 20-30 years in many areas. St. Louis is and has been for many years home to those from foreign countries. Bringing with them unusual and strange cuisines, religions, ethics, and dress as well as ideas and morals. And that is what makes the city so beautiful. The same can be said of Kansas city as well. Also even in the very small community that we live near. I love this.

The smaller areas, such as Lake of the Ozarks, Branson, and Springfield have for many years, also experienced an interesting growth. And my friends and family in these areas assure me that this growth will continue for some time to come.

If you and others like you, do come to Missouri, you will then bring with you your own tastes, desires, challenges, and requirements. Southern Missouri is beautiful as is the central section. Very diverse in topography, housing, employment, and education. As I have said previously, Missouri has just about everything except the oceans.

Toothless hillbillies? Yep, there are some around. Drive through areas such as Emminence. Not everyone there, of course, but there are folk that do have the dogs running around, refrigerators on the front porch and even old toilets on the front 'lawns' used as flower pots. Trucks and cars up on blocks are common. No different than other states. All types. Live and let live! This statement is not meant to be derogatory nor offensive to anyone. Just some observed facts.

Both husband and wife must agree on were to live I know! Believe me, I know!!! Good Luck and Happy Home Hunting to y'all!

Also, re-read Lake Junkies post. Very good.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
There are some "toothless hillbillies" around here, but you'd be surprised how kind and caring "toothless hillbillies" can be sometimes. And not all of them are toothless, dumb, or racist. Most people I know who are "rednecks" are very kind and often funny, they're just not sophisticated or scholarly, usually anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area