Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,015 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of relocating to the Branson area for retirement. We would be interested in renting a furnished place as it would be much easier than moving furniture. And we really are not sure if we want to buy a place or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 03:00 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
I am only answering because I have vacation there many times. My parents live in Bella Vista in AR just south of Branson. I also wanted you to be able to keep it at the top of the forum for answers. Where my parents live is tons and tons of retirees. Branson also sees to. When we visited there were seniors taking us on all the rides, tours and at Silver Dollar City was labor intense for retirees. Between the two I prefer the Bella Vista but Branson would have lots and lots of stuff to do. Hopefully, someone who lives there are someone else interested in retiring there will help you out. Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
The Branson area is full of retirees, including my own parents. The 2010 census says that nearly 20% of the population is 65 or older. There must be something about it that they like.

Pros: More entertainment and dine-out options at hand than any small town in the USA. Many people there get season passes to Silver Dollar City and take in one of their live stage shows every couple of weeks. Quite decent hospital in town. Fishing, hunting, hiking, golf, water sports are all right there. Many active churches. Lots of shopping in town or just 40 minutes away in south Springfield. Affordable real estate. Low property taxes. The huge number of condos should make it easy to find a furnished place to live.

Cons: Traffic is often impossible as you approach downtown along the "strip". While there are often back ways around traffic tie-ups, sometimes the place you need to be will be time consuming to get to. Very high turnover in the population as people move in and out of the area constantly. The core town - i.e. people who live there year around - is much smaller than it appears and you may find it necessary to go to Springfield for some of your doctors and other services. I have not checked lately, but short term rentals historically have been expensive relative to the price of real estate due to the large number of seasonal workers.

Maybe: Not everyone (me, mostly) likes the climate.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,483 times
Yes, Bella Vista is surprisingly affordable, if you don't insist on new, and updated. I am sitting facing the 16th, Tee at the moment. Two Bed/Two Bath condos with good size living/dining and kitchen for $600-$750 one for sale across the street. Single family house prices and amenities can make your head spin, so be prepared. I think the key to reasonable prices is turnover, as in Florida.

Branson and Forsyth are also nice, with much affordable housing between these areas. Quiet country areas, both affordable and accessible.

Beware: many folks around have a live and let live attitude. That means they do NOT accept suggestions on how they should live, or keep up their property. FORCE your realtor or rental agent to drive you around the area, before signing. Bella Vista is entirely, or nearly all under the Property Owner's Association. Good, in that you won't have to worry too much about trashy yards. Bad, because you have other people deciding what color you can paint your home etc.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:25 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Does weather matter to you? Have spent a winter or summer in the Ozarks? Icy roads ! Intense oppressive humidity! Just wondering if you like the weather ......... Do you like the arts or going to concerts? There isn't a lot of that. (Springfield does have a very good symphony and little theatre) All the other answers bring up very good points.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:22 PM

32 posts, read 72,777 times
If you're retired, the best place to live is Whidbey Island WA...by far! I like So MO, but I would rate it, 60 out of 100 and Whidbey Is, 95 out of 100...night and day comparison.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
But back on the subject which is the Branson area, my wife and I moved here and bought a house six years ago. Our home is about 22 driving miles south of Branson and down on the shore of Table Rock Lake. The entire area is beautifully green most of the year and between rain storms and springs, water is never lacking. The natives are friendly. As for the weather, it can get warm and muggy during the summer but that's variable. Spring and fall are just about perfect and winter can be an adventure But MODOT is really good about plowing the roads and snow generally disappears in four or five days. Keep your larder stocked. A rare exception was in 2006 when the area was hit by ice storms and parts of it were without power for about 10 days.

People have already mentioned the shows ands other entertainments. The lakes are beautiful and the fishing unparalleled. What they haven't mentioned is the sheer beauty and mystique of these here Ozarks, or Aux Arcs. But you have to experience them to understand and appreciate them.

In my mind, moving to the Ozarks was like moving back to America in a time gone by. People get along, are welcoming and helpful, especially in rural and semi-rural areas. Children are polite and respectful. The mantra of life seems to be, "Go ahead, but not too far and not too fast." I find it restful and refreshing.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:38 AM

38 posts, read 43,677 times
Default Live in Springfield M-O

Have just one question. can You with $ 20,000 a normal life in Springfield. it is a family with one child. or who lives in Springfield and can give me answer that

Old 09-03-2015, 09:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
We like Forsyth over Branson. But getting completely away from Branson to an area we enjoy and have a place is Warsaw. Don't live there year round just a Cabin there. We live year round by Bennett Spring near Lebanon and like it because all Lebanon supplies.

brushrunner

Old 09-07-2015, 02:39 AM

240 posts, read 344,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I am only answering because I have vacation there many times. My parents live in Bella Vista in AR just south of Branson. I also wanted you to be able to keep it at the top of the forum for answers. Where my parents live is tons and tons of retirees. Branson also sees to. When we visited there were seniors taking us on all the rides, tours and at Silver Dollar City was labor intense for retirees. Between the two I prefer the Bella Vista but Branson would have lots and lots of stuff to do. Hopefully, someone who lives there are someone else interested in retiring there will help you out. Good Luck.
Agree. Bella Vista is a place for retired WalMart employees.
Branson, in my opinion, is too "unique" comparing with other towns.

The feeling for me is Branson is great for a short stay, but cannot be longer than three days.
I would advise OP consider FL. Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Jacksonville, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area