U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,035,668 times

Advertisements

I decided since I have the time & money I would like to visit Branson & surrounding areas next week. It's a 12 hour drive so will take me 2 days as I haven't driven over 2 hours since my back operation. Where would be the safest place to stay? Of course I don't want to break the bank but safety is the most important. I've been looking at hotel/motel sites, but honestly, I've never been there so I know nothing.

62 year old single woman checking out retirement locations. The Ozarks sound wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 AM

873 posts, read 1,747,634 times
There really is no "safe" or "bad" areas in Branson. There are, however, individual motels that have seen better days that attract some sketchy lodgers - mostly along the "Strip" - highway 76. All Branson is divided into three parts: downtown, the Strip, and everywhere else. But there are also many, many older motels and resorts that are clean, well run, and quite charming. Most of the shows, attractions, and much of the lodging and dining are on or very near the Strip. There are a great many resorts and condos here, there, everywhere.

If you budget will support it, Chateau on the Lake or Big Cedar Lodge would be lovely. For a somewhat different experience, check out the Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks (The Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks). For, oh, a quarter of those prices there are many good motels/hotels to choose from. It would really be impossible to single one out that I could be assured would suit you.

For an extended stay it is hard to beat a condo rental. In round figures, there are approximately a gazillion.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:00 PM

Not an extended visit, just a quick one this time. I don't have a lot of time, prior commitments. This is a look around to see if there is a possible connection.

Fall is never a realistic time for any state. I think they are all beautiful. The actual best time, imo, is the height of summer or winter. If a state still stands the test of time then, it should be given further consideration.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:28 PM

873 posts, read 1,747,634 times
Winter in the Branson area can only be described as variable. For the most part it is quite pleasant, highs usually above freezing, little snow, a few days of rain here and there with the biggest issue being the many days of overcast. But about the time you think you have it licked a foot of snow will get dumped on you. Or it may decide to rain/snow/slush every day for an entire week.

I think most people would enjoy spring if it wasn't for the frequency of severe weather. And to me it is not the actual occurrence of severe weather, but rather it is the almost daily (it seems) threat. Granted, the threat does not materialize all that often, but you can never afford to ignore it.

Summer is not an acquired taste: you either like it or not. If you can not cope with 80% (and higher!) humidity, no amount of exposure will inure you to it. I am not a fan, but I know a great many people who are fine with it.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:23 PM

23,601 posts, read 32,767,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I decided since I have the time & money I would like to visit Branson & surrounding areas next week. It's a 12 hour drive so will take me 2 days as I haven't driven over 2 hours since my back operation. Where would be the safest place to stay? Of course I don't want to break the bank but safety is the most important. I've been looking at hotel/motel sites, but honestly, I've never been there so I know nothing.

62 year old single woman checking out retirement locations. The Ozarks sound wonderful.
DMed you with a recommendation.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:57 PM

Thanks. I got it. How does a person dm? I respond well but don't know the 'button' to send one.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I got it. How does a person dm? I respond well but don't know the 'button' to send one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
DMed you with a recommendation.
Whew, thought you'd quit loving us, lol.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:55 AM

23,601 posts, read 32,767,589 times
Quote:
You can pull down the "My Settings" menu on the upper left of your screen and click on "Send a Message" or click on "Direct Message" on the upper right then click on "Send New Message" on the left of the new screen.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:06 PM

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought of the my settings but really, I should have been able to figure out the direct messages on the right side. I think I better start doing some brain exercises, lol.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Update, I am having a ball here. Too bad I'm not staying longer, but I'd run out of money, lol.
It's a beautiful state & will stay high on my list of retirement maybe' s. Went on the duck ride today & saw a lot of the lake & Ozarks. Google it, I'm not going to spoil your fun. Also went to the Tanger Outlet, which has a ton of outlet stores. Spent too much but things were 1/2 what they'd be in Minnesota so all in all, will save.

Fun, fun town. Everyone I meet is from somewhere else. If I moved here it would definitely be outside of Branson proper. That way I could still have a regular life & a fun place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or