Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM

11 posts, read 84,741 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving in the Branson area, we are wanting to work in Branson. We would like a smaller area to live, any suggestion. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 PM

55 posts, read 222,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaD View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving in the Branson area, we are wanting to work in Branson. We would like a smaller area to live, any suggestion. Thanks
Need more info. What type of work do you do? Do you already have jobs lined up? Are you college graduates? Retired? How much money will you be arriving with? These are all pretinent questions and your answers to them will determine what your life will be like once you get there. I lived in branson for about 4 years. I lived in the area for over 11.
If you want a lower cost of living area Hollister, south of Branson is a good place but the culture is a little less affluent from the main area of Branson.
There are also a few areas a little further out but many of these areas have been growing fastly in the last few years and might not ressemble what they were even a couple years ago.
Also how much about the area do you know about? Have you been there during winter? There's a big contrast between the busy season and the graveyard season and during the latter the place loses it's luster especilly when your employment goes along with it.
Branson is a cool place to live and there are lots of opportunities for certain people but these opportunities will depend on your socioeconomic status.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 AM

The lower cost of living sounds great. I have looked into Hollister and I like the idea that it's so close to Branson, save on gas. What do you think of Table Rock? It still seems fairly close.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 PM

870 posts, read 3,081,969 times
Default Table Rock, yes!!

Kimberling City is another option, right on the lake! Very beautiful! Only 15 miles out of Branson.
Reeds Spring also has some nice areas on the lake and is about the same distance. Cape Fair is quite scenic, but the roads are like a Monte Carlo race track! Very curvy...
Kirbyville is close, but rural at the same time.

Taneycomo is nice, too, but cold, due to the deep dam. Great for trout fishing, but not for swimming.

Welcome to the forum! Any more questions? Ask away!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:21 PM

We were thinking of trying to get a job at Silver Dollar City. Any ideas on how hard that would be. We just love the atmosphere there. My husband is retiring soon, and we thought that would be a fun place to work, and for our kids to go when they come visit.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,253 times
Talking Yes, more please...

Quote:
Nana, she's right, Kimberling City is a lovely town. And really, that's what we have...a series of very small towns...some smaller than others!

I live in Hollister. Just like most towns, there's a low rent district and a medium level and upper crust areas! Hollister seems to be growing more than the others right now...and the drive to Branson is very easy.

I also love the Ridgedale area AND Blue Eye's mailing area...but if you're working at SDC (not hard, ) you might try Notch, Indian Point or Branson West. And actually there's something nice about each little town. Can you ramble a little about what you're looking for?

Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 PM

I would say medium level, my husband wants to be close to the water to fish. I like a scenic view, but we're not too picky. A small single dwelling, no condo, my husband says NO condo. We will be going to Branson in a couple of weeks to check out some real estate, any realators you think better than the others.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:59 AM

30 posts, read 93,522 times
Quote:
I would say medium level, my husband wants to be close to the water to fish. I like a scenic view, but we're not too picky. A small single dwelling, no condo, my husband says NO condo. We will be going to Branson in a couple of weeks to check out some real estate, any realators you think better than the others.
There are quite a few realtors that are very nice in the area.

Moderator cut: use dm only for RE agent recommendations

I would say the majority of the realtors in town are nice though. I deal with a lot of them on a regular basis via work, and rarely do we have problems.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-05-2008 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: use direct message please, ty

Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 PM

55 posts, read 222,866 times
If you want to work at SDC then I would steer clear of Kimberling City. That highway gets so locked up during the peak season that there are noights when you may not be able to get to work. Also just for your information, like Bass Pro Shops, Silver Dollar City is one of the lowest paying employers in the area. They mostly employ local tennagers and college students but don't think your maturity is going to warrant any higher pay. It won't trust me. In other words if you are in any way going to be subsiting partly on what you will make on your hourly there I would rethink the whole venture at least the employment part. Make sure you've got a good retirement or something other to back you up. Youngins from Branson who work at SDC usually have to pull an extra job to subsist even while sharing an apartment. Last I knew they were still paying a little above 6.00 an hour.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 AM

870 posts, read 3,081,969 times
NanaD~I have lived in Kimberling City since '01, and my DH has worked in Branson the whole time, as an entertainer. He has never missed a show, due to traffic, I assure you! SDC is halfway in between KC and Branson, (which is only 15 miles) and there are two new roads that connect with 76. They have also added a couple of turn lanes on 76, just for SDC and they are currently widening Indian Point Rd, where SDC is located. The traffic is easier to deal with than ever.
While I'm sure that the wages vary, from job to job, most of the retired folks I know that work there make $8. to $10. an hour. Even McDonald's is starting people out at $9.00. We have more jobs than people here! If you can't find a decent job around here, you couldn't anywhere! SDC has a job fair every year in February and they love hiring retired people! They say that they are more stable and dependable. They also have a great benefits pkg. and you can go to almost any show in town, for free, if you are employed there! Lots of management oppourtunities around too, at Hotels and Restaurants.
You can still get a 2B 1 1/2B Ranch in KC for around 100K! Near the lake, with a view! (there's one on my street!)
Good Luck in your search! DM me if you need specifics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area