U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 24,772 times

Advertisements

I am very greatful for all of your replies, whether or not I agree with them.
It would appear that I gave the wrong impression about myself. I don't want to give the impression that I fall under the sterotype of just being a rebelous teenager who is against all rules. Like I said, I completely agree with a lot of our dress code, and I also believe that girls should not dress in the way that many of them do. However, I do believe that not allowing tall tees and SHIRTS WITH SNOWMEN on them is a completely unjustified rule, but as I said, I also believe that my opinion alone doesn't matter, it is the people's opinion that is the majority that should matter. Unfortunatly we'll never know for sure what the majority of people's opinion because our "representatives" of course didn't feel the need to get our opinion.

Henkelphoto, I am glad that you posted that reply. Your reply shows me that you are considerate of others, and can still see the unjustice of the rules even though they no longer affect you. The vast majority of people stop having sympathy for a group of people once they are no longer in that group of people, and that is why it is dangerous to allow people who are not in THIS group of people to make decisions about the people who ARE. They will not think twice about making an unfair rule because that rule doesn't even apply to them. As far as letting officials know....as corrupt,unfair,ignorant,and inconsiderate as they are, they cannot possibly be blind enough not to see the problem this is causing. It is a HUGE problem in Springfield and one of our schools has already had an uprising over it.

Ozarks21, I appriciate your post as well..."I disagree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it." I disagree with just accepting unfair rules just becuase, 'lifes not fair and we have to deal with it.' Knowing what you know now, would you have told Martin Luther King Jr. to just conform to social norms, and get used to it? Better yet would you have told that to the British Colonists that came here? Our country would not exsist if everyone had just conformed, but we seem to have forgotten that. The philosophy that you imply here is that of a doormat, not of an American. I do agree that you must comply with social norms SO LONG AS those norms are just (something being the norm doesn't make it right) Some norms of course are not fair, and are obviously not fixable, but if there is the slightest hope for change, I will do everything I can to bring that change about. These are the beliefs that our country was built on, and these are the beliefs that I will do my best to uphold.

christina0001, Thank you very much for your reply. I have given you a slightly wrong impression of what I believed. I believe that the rules in school should simply be the same rules as everywhere else (the laws of the land) However, obviously there are some laws other than those that are necessary for schools, and anytime those in charge comes up with one that they believe would help school, they should submit there idea to the public vote. Instead they say "Well, were going to do whatever we want to the school, but don't worry, we will set aside some time where you can come and whine about it as much as you wish." You have to be here to understand I believe, but school authorities are certainly aware of the situation, there has already been a riot in one of our schools here. It is easy to say that to vote on these rules is basically a waste of time when the rules don't afftect you.

Spfd4um, thank you for your imput. But why is it that the ones who wear these shirts are wrong for not taking into consideration that the shirt might make others uncomfortable? Should it not be the other way around? Aren't those who are made uncomfortable by the shirts only made uncomfortable because they have a sterotype stuck in there mind? SOME sterotypes (VERY FEW) are almost true, but to believe that if someone is wearing baggy clothes that they are carrying a gun is probably the most unreasonable sterotype I have very seen. We need to remember that for every person who carries a gun, there are tens of thousands who do not. But instead we strip the tens of thousands of their rights for that one person. If someone were to carry a knife to school in there pants' pocket, do you believe it would be reasonable to ban pants with pockets? Neither do I.

I apologize for the wait, and I apologize for any hint of sarcasm that there might be in this reply....it is not intended for you, i just have a lot of resentment built up towards the schools because they have wronged me so many times. Thank you all
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,444 times
Default Tall trees

Please define a "tall tree" and how is it connected to drug use concerns?

Also, what are snowmen on shirts? Is this also a drug reference?

I appreciate your educating me.

Thank you.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,380 times
Default this makes no sense

i dont understand why you are complaining...they were at an assembly. what are assemlies for? to show school spirit! at my school they do the same thing, only our cheerleaders dont show midriffs. I have yet to see any kind of dress that can be worn for the specific reason you talked about, that isn't strapless, backless, or spaghetti strap. Thats just how they are made. Its a part of the competition, to actually dress the part. As for the glasses and bandanas, its all school spirit. thats what high school entails. For you to complain about people showing school spirit, something is wrong. You really need to find something different to complain about.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 AM

7 posts, read 42,635 times
Thumbs up Civil protest

I applaud your willingness to ask questions and demand answers to inequality. You are learning an essential aspect of our democracy by holding the school administration accountable for applying rules equally to all. Write letters to the newspaper and take pictures at the next assembly. Most school boards have time for public commentary; present your facts and evidence at the next school board meeting. Be polite and stick to the facts. Avoid whining "It's not fair." Instead say " Rules must be applied equally to all." Rally a few friends with you to attend the meeting and speak on the same issue. Bring the dress code with you to quote from.

You may not be successful but you are learning very important skills . In future you might fight a zoning board to build a house or demand that a school board provide a safer environment. Maybe you will even choose to fight bigger more important battles.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:35 PM

72 posts, read 264,640 times
Default I am wondering the same thing

What is a tall tee? I asked my kids and they have never heard of it either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyrg View Post
Please define a "tall tree" and how is it connected to drug use concerns?

Also, what are snowmen on shirts? Is this also a drug reference?

I appreciate your educating me.

Thank you.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 AM

19 posts, read 85,475 times
Also wondering what a 'tall tee' is here, but I feel compelled to post about the thread...

As a junior in High School, I am surprised, and VERY impressed to see that kind of attitude. Not only was your thinking thorough and non-biased for the most part toward the rules, but you were quite gratious to other posters in your follow up. WOW!

I choose to follow the law, rules and regulations to the best of my ability. While I don't agree with all of them, I feel that breaking the rules simply because you don't like them compromises the integrity of the whole. That would be your school, your workplace, your country. Voting, participation in public awareness campaigns, etc.. in my opinion, is a much better way to handle issues you(or I) may have with authority.

Kudos to you!

**EDIT** Interested in the banning of shirts with snowmen on them too.... gang reference? the 12th street frosties? I can't imagine a snowman being offensive!

Last edited by ndflicks; 04-19-2007 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: snowmen

Old 09-24-2007, 09:38 AM

48 posts, read 126,397 times
Well I wonder what Keith still thinks of the dress code.
As a high school teacher taking a break to raise her children, I can tell you that I would quickly enroll my own kids in a school that had a dress code. I can't tell you how many times I had students sitting in my class with their butt crack showing, their boobs hanging out, inappropriate language on their shirts, showing their belly(and on many, not something that needed to be seen) AND wearing their jammy pants(those flannel pajama pants) to school. I only graduated 13 years ago, but we never dressed like that, and I want to a very large high school. I have found that schools with dress codes in general have the best behaved and most well rounded students. IMO, parents who allow their children the right of coming to school dressed inappropriately can only be described in one word...lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area