U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 02:44 PM

334 posts, read 242,433 times

Advertisements

I'm in Atlanta currently, but my company has it's HQ over in Springfield. Tired of the traffic ( takes me 1-1.5 hours to go 15-18 miles one way to work ), cost of housing rose up ridiculously in the past two years. Perfect example, coworker bought his new home for $180k 1.5 years ago, it's valued at $260k now ( and will likely sell for more - he just got a raise and is also relocating out there ).

That being said - I'm a single 29 year old bachelor - ideally, home ownership is in the books ( was a little surprised to see USDA loans being offered to places like Nixa and Willard ) but, any recommended areas to move to? Work is on the southeast side of town, however I feel like a commute still wouldn't bother me due to the differences in traffic.

Also, I keep hearing rumors about gigabit for Springfield. What's up with that? ( currently have AT&T Gigapower, it's GLORIOUS )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:14 PM

874 posts, read 1,753,380 times
S.E Springfield and its immediate area has plenty to offer both for renters and for homeowners. A very reasonable commute can be had from as far east as Rogersville, south to Ozark (and many would add Nixa), Springfield itself, and all points in between. You can go farther out, and many people do, but you do get into very rural areas even in the towns.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:35 AM

I do enjoy a balance of being "country" while still being near civilization.

Are there area's that are more prone to floods, severe weather, etc?

Old 06-16-2016, 04:06 PM

23,601 posts, read 32,813,294 times
Weather happens here in the Ozarks and the region is full of micro-climates. KY3, the TV station, should be a good source for flood news about the area. With all our rivers, creeks and streams, they happen also.

KY3 Springfield, Missouri News, Weather, and Sports in the Ozarks | KY3 - News

Old 06-16-2016, 07:18 PM

874 posts, read 1,753,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
I do enjoy a balance of being "country" while still being near civilization.

Are there area's that are more prone to floods, severe weather, etc?
That is quite easy to do in any direction from Springfield proper, and it is possible to find even five acre lots within the city limits.

There are many, many areas that can flood. You will want to see the relevant flood plain maps for any property you are interested in. There are a great many known, and probably as many more unknown sinkholes. The weather here does not confine itself to individual neighborhoods.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:11 PM

The idea of a five acre lot within the city limits blows my mind just a wee bit.

Looks like I have a bit of research to do ahead of me

Old 06-19-2016, 04:50 PM

510 posts, read 411,451 times
You can find just about any living arrangement you desire in Springfield. It is just large enough to offer that variety, but without the hassle of larger cities. Heavy traffic is practically non-existent, unless there is an accident or major event. The Southeast side of town is the wealthiest area, but is still affordable for most professionals. Springfield doesn't have "exclusive" neighborhoods, aside from a few subdivisions and golf communities.

No, it is not as vibrant as a large city, but nonetheless, it has 99% of what anyone needs. And if you need more, KC and StL are only a few hours away.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:24 AM

I mean, I live 40 minutes north of Atlanta and apartments are still $1200/mo+ for a 1br. I rarely go down into the city itself for museums, food, concerts etc. I'm more of a stay at home and save money, or just be outdoors driving in the mountains.

Mostly because festivals around here are just a money sink T_T

I've also considered for now just renting an apartment ( Springfield's subreddit pointed me in the direction of the Heer's Luxury Lofts in downtown... which the price is ridiculous. I want to cry almost for how cheap it is lol )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area