U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2016, 07:41 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
502 posts, read 407,961 times
Reputation: 449

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
And there is that. Is it anything resembling Sequoia, Avenue of the Giants, Yosemite, Highway One? No. But it is lovely in its way...


Are there as many to choose from, in close proximity? Probably not. Though, you probably won't have to fight traffic and scramble to find parking to attend what is available in MO.



Would they have that class or workshop that you were used to in Calif? Let's see, how many local colleges in the Ozark area would hold an "Advanced Glaze Calculation" class or "Anatomy for Artists" class, and if there were classes or groups available for more specialized types of interests, would they be within close proximity to where you lived? Would there be more than one of your chosen class or get-together available, so you could find one that would fit your schedule? Would they be held year-round (including the winter)? Perhaps not...


Or wait—how about having an amusement park based on one of the most loved cartoon characters, fairy tales and imaginative films, a very detail-oriented place, a lot of artistry went into the designing of this park.... but wait, if you grew up enjoying that, you'd better stay at the coast, because there's nothing like it elsewhere...

And if you were used to several amusement park type establishments, all within an hour or two drive, all different styles and appeals, so you could pick and choose...
Oh, the pain. How shall we survive without giant trees or Mickey Mouse?

But you're right. Some folks are needy and demand a plethora of small things. They should stick to the areas that suit their desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2016, 08:10 PM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,791 posts, read 7,947,951 times
Reputation: 17893
If someone from California wants to move here because of the high taxes where they came from, here's the problem and I've constantly noticed over the years....

Missouri has the Hancock Amendment which requires a referendum for a tax increase. And of course, while we wait for the first Tuesday of the month, there's plenty of discussion and campaigning for and against.

Here's the usual statement that I'll paraphrase...... "I'm going to vote YES for this. I know what a high tax state is because I used to live in one and I'm so glad we moved away, BUT this tax increase is just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what we had to pay in California so it really isn't a big deal and we need it."

High taxes don't happen overnight. It's all incremental and eventually all the feel-good nickel and dime increases add up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 08:24 PM
 
Location: USA
1,025 posts, read 856,910 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Oh, the pain. How shall we survive without giant trees or Mickey Mouse?
We're not necessarily talking about you. We're talking about the hypothetical Californian, who grew up with those things and WILL miss them. People have a tendency, if they like particular things, to keep on liking them. Making fun of them for that, or somehow thinking that they can simply stop finding those things important, is folly.

Quote:
But you're right. Some folks are needy and demand a plethora of small things. They should stick to the areas that suit their desires.
Let's hope most people can. "Plethora of small things"? Who is to tell someone else that the class on Advanced Glaze Calculation is a "small" thing? Maybe it would be for you—so what? Maybe a tractor pull would be a small thing for me—so what? It could be a big thing for someone else, and justifiably so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post

High taxes don't happen overnight. It's all incremental and eventually all the feel-good nickel and dime increases add up.
Important point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 09:11 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
502 posts, read 407,961 times
Reputation: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
We're not necessarily talking about you. We're talking about the hypothetical Californian, who grew up with those things and WILL miss them.
You're making a false assumption that people will think and feel like yourself.

When I moved away from the area I grew up in, there were many things I did not miss. Of course, there were things I did miss. But unless you know this individual, you don't have any way to gauge what they will/will not miss. I will assume that your response is specific to your experience, and I respect that. Its relevance stops there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
"Plethora of small things"? Who is to tell someone else that the class on Advanced Glaze Calculation is a "small" thing? Maybe it would be for you—so what? Maybe a tractor pull would be a small thing for me—so what? It could be a big thing for someone else, and justifiably so.
You, apparently. Considering it was derived from your post, written in second-person.

Admittedly, that is my personal opinion. I tend to prioritize family, employment, security, education, and cost-of-living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 09:31 PM
 
Location: USA
1,025 posts, read 856,910 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
You're making a false assumption that people will think and feel like yourself.
No, I assume that they might feel the way I do, might miss other things, might miss nothing—but that I should not assume that they will miss nothing and should kiss the ground of the place they moved to.

Quote:
When I moved away from the area I grew up in, there were many things I did not miss. Of course, there were things I did miss. But unless you know this individual, you don't have any way to gauge what they will/will not miss. I will assume that your response is specific to your experience, and I respect that. Its relevance stops there.
Never have I made declarative statements about how everyone WOULD miss a specific thing. But the odds are that some people would. How do I gauge that? Because when living there, I know how many people around me would have. Because having lived there, I know what qualities and attractions are popular, and therefore the odds are that many would miss.

Quote:
You, apparently. Considering it was derived from your post, written in second-person.
Actually no, I disliked advanced glaze calculation! But someone else might dearly miss it, and find it very important. I do know that there are classes or get-togethers that I would miss, that are far more accessible in S. CA than in MO. Would my experience be an isolated incident, and that NO other resident of CA would ever have anything they'd miss? Highly unlikely.

Quote:
Admittedly, that is my personal opinion. I tend to prioritize family, employment, security, education, and cost-of-living.
And who is to say that the advanced glaze calculation does not qualify as one of those? Advanced glaze calculation would fall under education, as well as employment (if someone is in the ceramics field).

Who are you to decide what is trivial for someone else anyway? If it's important and helps give their lives meaning and more enjoyment, then having someone else trivialize it seems insensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2016, 11:36 PM
 
Location: The High Desert
8,589 posts, read 4,713,960 times
Reputation: 16251
Be sure to visit and visit different areas and in different seasons. I used to visit each county seat as part of my job and, believe me when I say that there are differences from one place to another. The Springfield/Branson/Tablerock area is full of folks from other parts of the country as well as locals. Lake of the Ozarks is more St. Louis/Kansas City folks with a few from Iowa, Kansas or Illinois. A few places deep in the Ozarks were not all that friendly and folks wanted to know your business. I liked the St. Francois Mountain area over by Ironton and the Arcadia Valley. It's actually more like mountains... eroded granite knobs older than the Appalachians. Ozark streams are gorgeous- especially the Norfolk, Eleven Point and Jacks Fork. My wife's family had a farm on the Current River a couple generations ago. Religion (church) plays a big role in the Ozarks. Also be aware that most people who have lived there for a couple generations are related to many of the other families in the area so be careful what you say. That's true even in larger towns. The wine country along the Missouri River is wonderful. Ste. Genevieve and parts of the old lead mining district have a hint of the old French colonial flavor. The closer you get to the Bootheel counties the more 'southern' things feel.


I'm a native and lived most of my life in rural Missouri but moved to New Mexico's high desert three years ago. There were a lot of reasons but I really like the dry climate, single-digit humidity, milder four seasons, far horizons, fewer people and the cultural mix. I'll come back for a visit in the fall when it is cooler for a Missouri 'fix'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2016, 12:15 AM
 
Location: The High Desert
8,589 posts, read 4,713,960 times
Reputation: 16251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Missouri has the Hancock Amendment which requires a referendum for a tax increase. And of course, while we wait for the first Tuesday of the month, there's plenty of discussion and campaigning for and against.
The Hancock Amendment was Missouri's version of California's Proposition 13. California got sick and we took the medicine. It has effectively kept Missouri a backward and poorly maintained state with dangerous bridges and highways, shrinking infrastructure, and dumb-ass funding schemes like gambling and the lottery for essential services. It was passed as a constitutional amendment and will continue to suck the life out of Missouri until it is finally repealed.... centuries from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 02:17 PM
 
7 posts, read 6,247 times
Reputation: 20
Great comments.
We are 20 minutes from a market now. We rarely , really rarely go out to dinner. No fast food around us. we will allow ourselves 3 years of all seasons .
People talk about mountains and beaches in CA. They fail to mention, unless you live in one or the other, it takes hours to get there. Traffic is horrific. We do not go places due to traffic. Yes, it is that bad.
We want a change. People who embrace the beauty of nature. CA was once a lovely state. Nothing lovely in So.Cal any longer . It is a shame.
We want to ride in grand style( horseback) while we are able . 60 and 61. Young at heart and feel best on the back of our Norwegian Fjords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2016, 05:04 PM
 
Location: USA
1,025 posts, read 856,910 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowilgus888 View Post
Great comments.
We are 20 minutes from a market now. We rarely , really rarely go out to dinner. No fast food around us. we will allow ourselves 3 years of all seasons .
Wow, if you don't mind me asking, what general area do you live in? No stores for 20 minutes? You're right, you won't miss much if you're that far from amenities already.
Quote:
People talk about mountains and beaches in CA. They fail to mention, unless you live in one or the other, it takes hours to get there. Traffic is horrific. We do not go places due to traffic. Yes, it is that bad.
We want a change. People who embrace the beauty of nature. CA was once a lovely state. Nothing lovely in So.Cal any longer . It is a shame.
It depends where you live, I guess? I am from the Valley-ish and there were always mountains to admire. I always loved looking out the front windows at my former job and enjoying the mountains. I would drive on the freeway and see them. Seeing the mountains was never an issue.

The beach...I'll give you that, I never am one to go there too often. And there are a lot of things that I wouldn't go to downtown, because I didn't want to hassle with traffic and parking. But knowing that Sequoia and Yosemite were a few hours away (as opposed to over a day), it can make a huge difference.

Quote:
We want to ride in grand style( horseback) while we are able . 60 and 61. Young at heart and feel best on the back of our Norwegian Fjords.
It sounds like if you can deal with the humidity, and you don't mind the winter weather, that you might do okay. And, I don't know if this is the case with you, but if you don't have to worry about having the daily grind of commuting to work, and you can stay in if it's too hot or too cold, that will help too. You've certainly had a lot of opinions and advice here to give you insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 PM
 
23 posts, read 23,088 times
Reputation: 20
Hello
I am a So Cal native. Grew up in Orange County. Moved to Oregon in 1991, lived there for 15 years before moving to SE Missouri. We have been here 10 years.
Two years after we moved here I went home to Cali, swore I was moving back. Three years after that I did the same and 3 years after that, well same. I am still in SE Missouri.
We are hoping to move soon to the Nixa, Branson, Springfield area as we love it there. Anywhere west of us is beautiful.
Now, coming from Oregon where the weather was nearly perfect in 3 of the 4 seasons to this was a shocker. The night we landed here the humidity was so bad my feet would slide in my sandals as I walked and the cicadas screeching in the trees were like banchees. It was mid July.
For the past 10 years I have raised my kids in this ugly, small town that refuses to grow. The best part of this was my son became and Eagle Scout (scouting wasnt available where we lived in Oregon). My daughter is 10 years in girl scouts, both were members of the marching band in high school and my youngest just graduated high school. I believe raising them in this little place was very good for them.
My husband and I are both 50 and we are now raising a new batch-our grandkids and that is why we are looking to move to a bigger area with more opportunities. And we love the Branson-Springfield areas.
As for the muggy and buggy, yes it does suck. You just learn to live with it. Spring is beautiful and Fall is amazing. Winters where we live really are not all that bad. Summers are sweltering in some areas worse than others but as long as you have AC you are good. If you enjoy camping do it in the Spring and Fall if you want to use a tent otherwise get a camper or trailer with AC.
I have a couple of friends who moved to the KC area 30 years ago from So Cal and they never looked back. One of my families neighbors in So Cal sold their home there and moved to KC as well.
If you own a home in So Cal why not put it up for rent for a year and move to MO to see if you like it. If you arent happy after a year you will most likely not be and you could always go back.
For me if I were to move back out west I would truly miss a lot from here. I love the storms, not tornados of course, but big loud bright thunder and lightening. I like waving at people as you walk or drive by. The food, the people, the landscape, etc. I could go on and on. Think about what made you think of Missouri and go from there. It's a beautiful state. However the SE portion and the Bootheel are quite ugly and really have nothing to offer, in my opinion.
Hope to hear more from you as you make your decision and if you decide to relocate and to where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top