U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:08 PM

27,175 posts, read 55,009,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The Hancock Amendment was Missouri's version of California's Proposition 13. California got sick and we took the medicine. It has effectively kept Missouri a backward and poorly maintained state with dangerous bridges and highways, shrinking infrastructure, and dumb-ass funding schemes like gambling and the lottery for essential services. It was passed as a constitutional amendment and will continue to suck the life out of Missouri until it is finally repealed.... centuries from now.
If the Hancock Amendment is like Prop 13 it provides for unlimited tax increases with voter approval.

Are you saying the voters in Missouri are unwilling to step up and fund critical infrastructure?

I live in Oakland CA and the Prop 13 rate is 1% statewide... in addition to the 1% statewide rate the voters have been very generous and my tax rate is about 1.7% of value...

I'm over 10k on a 1725 square foot home built in 1957 with formica counters and lino floors...

Just how much should I be paying in taxes if Prop 13 were to be repealed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 07:55 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,804,452 times
What prop 13 does is protect the homeowner from tax increases as the value of the home increases, otherwise an elderly couple who bought a house in San Jose for 80K in 1980 could no way pay the taxes on house now worth a million

Old 07-04-2016, 08:23 PM

27,175 posts, read 55,009,272 times
And since it applies to all taxable Real Estate I fully intend to by one of those elderly in 30 to 40 years...

Prop 13 beauty is in it's simplicity... each sale/transfer stands on it's own and the entire law is only a few paragraphs and no more paying property taxes based on someone's guess or estimate of what your property is worth.

I was too young to have voted for it at the time but very thankful for those that made it law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area