U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 07:02 PM

7 posts, read 6,260 times

Advertisements

Hubby and i want to relocate, we are thinking of MO. We live in So.Cal, you know where everyone thinks it is THE best place ever. But, the traffic, the overcrowding, the taxes, the freebies given to others that we work and pay for, it gets old. Everyone here thinks the weather is unbeatable.
When i mention MO people say " muggy and buggy". Is it REALLY THAT bad? MO looks and sounds so welcoming. Green, small towns, fields, pastures. Tractor pulls. Dang that is right up our alley.
We have horses, the riding in MO looks wonderful.
I will find out if i can tolerate the humidity, but i would enjoy hearing from folks who made the move to MO from a Western state.

Thanks,
Jo
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 PM

1,025 posts, read 857,975 times
The humidity is a real shocker. As is the horribly cold weather, the being stuck inside in the winter because the roads are icy, there's nothing to do, it's too darn cold ... Not ALL winter, but enough of it so you can hardly wait for Spring so you can get your life back.

I understand that you're fed up with the traffic and the taxes and so forth in Southern California. But if you are a native, there are things you've probably taken for granted. The good weather, for one. There's rarely a time when activities or things to do are inaccessible. It may rain sometimes, it may be "too hot" occasionally (like right now LOL) to optimally do some things, but most days, you can do whatever you want. In MO, that's not the case. The winters can really put a damper on doing anything other than scraping the ice and snow off your car to go to work, and then getting back home again after the day is done. Some days are worse than others, but when the temperature gets down to 20, 10, or even zero (or below), it really halts a lot of plans you may have.

Yes, the traffic is far worse in CA, you can get somewhere quicker in MO, but there are less things to go to. Don't get me wrong, there are stores and clubs and restaurants, but that special food or that special service, product or whatever "thing" that you can find in S. California, you may not find it in MO. The selection and choice are just not going to be there. It's just about the amount of population.

Add to that, if you're from Southern California and you're used to the wildflowers, the beaches, the mountains, just looking out the window of your car and seeing all that southwest beauty wherever you go... that's all gone in MO. Being close to beautiful National Parks that you can visit on vacation, nothing like that in MO. Not all Southern Californians are into that, but enough of us are (which is why places like Yosemite are so popular!), but knowing that it's all so close when you want to visit... that's something you might take for granted until it's gone.

The plus sides of MO: The people are very friendly. The Branson/Springfield area does have more "mountains" than other parts of MO (The term "mountains" is a bit generous, because they seem to me to be more like "big hills.") But the area is pretty in its own way. Branson is a bit tourist-trappy, but fun. You're not too far from Arkansas and Eureka Springs, also fun to visit, very pretty in its own way.

The traffic is a lot less, the Lake of the Ozarks (a few hours I think from the Branson area) is very pretty, lots of fun. If you love "country" tractor pull stuff, then most of MO would fulfill that.

But yes, VERY muggy, a huge shock to the system when you first encounter it. The bugs are bad. Weird, freaky, alien bugs.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, (not knowing more about you than what you've told us), I might try for a place at least similarly arid (somewhere in the Southwest). You could get a smaller town feel, but not have the shock of the vastly different weather and landscape.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:15 PM

7 posts, read 6,260 times
What a gem you must be. Thank you for your reply. Weird, alien bugs, haha. CA has weird, alien people. We got us some major freaks out here.

If MO does not blow my skirt up, i will continue my search. Thanks again.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 PM

Yes, the best way to find out is to visit. Though, a visit can't always predict what you'll miss and what you won't.

If you're highly motivated to leave CA, then that will make the transition easier. It also depends on what things are most important to you. Sometimes, you don't know what you'll miss until you've been gone for a while.

I've been back and forth between MO and CA. Unlike you, I wasn't eager to leave CA, it was due to family obligations. But, I didn't start out not wanting to like MO. That crept up on me. And when I say I don't like it, it's not like I don't like everything, because the people are friendly, the lack of a substantial rush hour is a plus. There definitely are bonuses. But there are a lot of things that aren't what I want, and no amount of "Well, get used to it!" will fix that.

One thing that left a void was this class I always take (though I guess it wasn't actually a "class," just a structured get-together). Kind of like an art/craft-type of class. I could go every week, and they're held everywhere in S. Calif. I had one about 10 minutes away from home (on surface streets). But in MO (Kansas City area) there were a few held all over town, usually at least 20 or more minutes away, and often they were canceled or just not even held in the winter. Because in the winter, nobody would come, so they didn't bother even holding the class. That gets really old after a while, when you're used to more availability and now it's gone for good.

You can't always predict these things ahead of time. (I'm sure there are people in MO who moved to CA who could complain just as much about something. It's all about what you grow up with, what you're used to.)

But, like I said, if you are highly motivated to leave, then that could make the transition a little easier. If the pluses outweigh the minuses, there's that too. But don't expect NO minuses! That doesn't exist anywhere!

Old 06-23-2016, 11:21 AM

23,601 posts, read 32,783,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowilgus888 View Post
Hubby and i want to relocate, we are thinking of MO. We live in So.Cal, you know where everyone thinks it is THE best place ever. But, the traffic, the overcrowding, the taxes, the freebies given to others that we work and pay for, it gets old. Everyone here thinks the weather is unbeatable.
When i mention MO people say " muggy and buggy". Is it REALLY THAT bad? MO looks and sounds so welcoming. Green, small towns, fields, pastures. Tractor pulls. Dang that is right up our alley.
I will find out if i can tolerate the humidity, but i would enjoy hearing from folks who made the move to MO from a Western state.

Thanks,
Jo
I don't. No anymore. Born in San Diego and mostly raised (military family) in Newport Beach. Back in the '50s it was magical. Now, not so much. I last visited in 1996 and it was so painful I've never been back. Spent my last 20, California years in Sacramento and as soon as I retired, hot-footed it to the Ozarks. I fell in love with the region at a young age following g the original Route 66 as a child in the '50s and early '60s and as an adult in the last half of the '60s and early '70s. My wife spent most of the '70s farming in the Ozarks about 40 or 50 miles south of were we now live. We're on the shore of Table Rock Lake some 20 driving miles south of Branson - close enough for fun - far enough to not be overly bothered by the tourists. Thus far it's been a very pleasant seven years.

It's nice to have four distinct seasons all in one place, not be crammed together with others and not taxed to death. Spring and Fall are gorgeous. Winter is tolerable with some very cold temperatures and occasional snow which doesn't usually stick around more than a few days. Summer days can be hot and humid, like today, but that's why air conditioning was invented. When you look out over distances and see haze it's blue because it's not smog, it's moisture and mist. We're floating on a giant sponge replete with rivers, streams and springs.

M wife and I are not young - 68 and 70, respectively - and have developed some mobility issues so we can't hike and explore anymore but Mother Nature comes to us. Awhile ago I looked out the kitchen window and watched a cottontail explore the back yard (no privacy fences here) and could be just as apt to see foxes. Turkeys, deer, beavers, badgers, coyotes, chipmunks and squirrels abound in the area and are often seen and heard. Songbirds such as cardinals, blue birds, finches of all hues, tufted titmice, robins, orioles and others share space with turkey vultures, ducks, geese, hawks, falcons, bald eagles, blue jays, mourning doves and many others.

The closest village to us - 5 miles as the crow flies, nine by roads - straddles the MO/AR state line with 167 souls on the MO side and 39 on the AR side. Other than nine churches (this is the bible belt) in and around it there's no there, there. The closest real town is 18 miles away.

By CA standards there is little to offer by way of restaurants, produce, shopping, diversity, etc. If you're looking for Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or In-N-Out Burger you'll be disappointed. But the natives are friendly, welcoming, helpful, polite and respectful, children included, and can be very clever and industrious. One warning. Comparisons made to CA or attempts to change the area into a mini-CA are not appreciated. There's a reason many of us left it and settled here. Some return to the crowds, crime, hustle-and-bustle, traffic, bad air, crazy governess, etc. but the rest of us like Ozark living just fine just the way it is.

And that's probably more than enough!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's nice to have four distinct seasons all in one place, not be crammed together with others and not taxed to death. Spring and Fall are gorgeous.
They are. The Fall colors are glorious.

The thing about the four seasons... some people like them, some people don't. I think "four seasons" are overrated. I hate not being able to go out and about as much as I am used to, because there are fewer activities in winter. The summer humidity is oppressive. But this is just my opinion, just like those who like all four seasons are expressing their opinion. There is no wrong or right, just what each individual likes! As for what the OP will like, he or she will have to find that out!

I think one reason I had such a shocked aversion to the humidity was that I had no warning. Nobody said anything. I guess all the MO natives were used to it and it was "no big deal." To me, it was a huge deal. It was very uncomfortable! So I think it's wise that the OP is warned about the possible discomfort of the humidity (and I'll add, the inconvenience of the cold winters), because then at least it won't come as an unpleasant shock. They may decide that it's not that bad, which is the best outcome. Or if they do realize that yes, it is bad, at least they were prepared and can better deal with it (or decide it's not for them).

Quote:
Winter is tolerable with some very cold temperatures and occasional snow which doesn't usually stick around more than a few days. Summer days can be hot and humid, like today, but that's why air conditioning was invented. When you look out over distances and see haze it's blue because it's not smog, it's moisture and mist. We're floating on a giant sponge replete with rivers, streams and springs.
I think it all depends on what you expect and what you like. My first encounter with winter was shocking. I could not fathom why anyone would tolerate such cold! And it does seem like a lot of things screech to a halt in the winter, so you do stay in a lot more than if you were in a more mild climate. But if you stay in more (in your car, in your house) then it doesn't matter! And you're right, it is much more green in MO. Up to a point that is lovely, but I remember one long-time California resident calling the green in MO "oppressive and suffocating" because it was SO moist and SO green. One person's perfection is another person's "too much of a good thing." But again this is something that the OP will find out for themselves.

Quote:
Awhile ago I looked out the kitchen window and watched a cottontail explore the back yard (no privacy fences here) and could be just as apt to see foxes. Turkeys, deer, beavers, badgers, coyotes, chipmunks and squirrels abound in the area and are often seen and heard. Songbirds such as cardinals, blue birds, finches of all hues, tufted titmice, robins, orioles and others share space with turkey vultures, ducks, geese, hawks, falcons, bald eagles, blue jays, mourning doves and many others.
That sounds lovely! And that is one of the great pluses of being out in the country in a more rural area.

Quote:
The closest village to us - 5 miles as the crow flies, nine by roads - straddles the MO/AR state line with 167 souls on the MO side and 39 on the AR side. Other than nine churches (this is the bible belt) in and around it there's no there, there. The closest real town is 18 miles away.
That sounds lovely too! The Ozark area of MO is one of the best parts of the state, that is for sure.

Quote:
One warning. Comparisons made to CA or attempts to change the area into a mini-CA are not appreciated. There's a reason many of us left it and settled here. Some return to the crowds, crime, hustle-and-bustle, traffic, bad air, crazy governess, etc. but the rest of us like Ozark living just fine just the way it is.
That is very true. Just keep your mouth shut.

I think the OP has gotten a lot of good opinions from us!

Old 06-23-2016, 09:13 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,065,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowilgus888 View Post

Thanks,
Jo
You've gotten some good responses so far.

I'm living in KC, moved from CA but I spend a good deal of time in the Ozarks at the Lake or on backpacking trips and I'm frequently in Fort Leonard Wood for work. Yes, it really is muggy and buggy, especially in a rural area. In the larger cities the bugs aren't that bad but if you are in the Ozarks it's just part of life. Coming from California the summers have been the hardest adjustment to make. It's very hot, very humid. Springfield and environs are the Bible Belt so be prepared for that. It remains a popular place for retirees though. Winters aren't too bad in my opinion in the Ozarks but I'm far more cold tolerant than heat/humidity tolerant. The biggest thing I hate about winter are the ice storms but they aren't terribly frequent. You do get plenty of sunny/warmish days (50s and 60s, sometimes 70s) and very little snow. Be prepared for violent weather including severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. It's a good place for horses though. The biggest plus IMO is spring and fall. Spring begins fairly early and fall ends fairly late. Winters are fairly short overall but this is also the Midwest so nothing is off the table and an April blizzard is not out of the question though I've yet to experience one in three winters here. And this is in KC which is a few hours north.

I do agree with Elvira that the mountains are more like very large hills here but it is still very scenic at points, though I like the Ouachitas in Arkansas a little better.

Last edited by Bluefox; 06-23-2016 at 09:23 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 PM

873 posts, read 1,749,535 times
I prefer winter in the Ozarks. I do far more outdoor activities in the winter than the summer. I particularly enjoy camping and hiking when vistas are open, insects are absent, the air is dryer, and the float-trip crowds have drank all the beer they can hold for the year.

While it can get truly bitter cold, it seldom does. In fact one can expect a significant number of days each January and February where it gets above 60 deg. f. The bigger problem is that, although the humidity is lower, there is still enough moisture in the air to make 30 deg. feel much colder - particularly if there is a good wind blowing.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:42 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,065,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
I prefer winter in the Ozarks. I do far more outdoor activities in the winter than the summer. I particularly enjoy camping and hiking when vistas are open, insects are absent, the air is dryer, and the float-trip crowds have drank all the beer they can hold for the year.

While it can get truly bitter cold, it seldom does. In fact one can expect a significant number of days each January and February where it gets above 60 deg. f. The bigger problem is that, although the humidity is lower, there is still enough moisture in the air to make 30 deg. feel much colder - particularly if there is a good wind blowing.
Agreed. I did a backpack trip down there last December and the weather was fantastic. Winters are pretty mild in the Ozarks for sure. The worst season is definitely the summer.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:38 AM

23,601 posts, read 32,783,911 times
I fi n it funny that so many move to California for the weather yet it was one of the reasons we moved from California. We wanted four distinct seasons all in one place.

The Ozarks are full of micro-climates. Right now it's raining where we are down in the holler on the lake (Table Rock) and were I to drive a few minutes to the top of the ridge it could be as dry as toast. You never know.

The Ozarks are actually a plateau that has been deeply cut by glaciers and water flow. But for the Ouachitas there really aren't any Ozark mountains. They just look that way. It's not that our hills are so high it's that our valleys are so deep. It's a unique topography and can change at every turn of the road, surprising you no matter how many times you've traveled it. We love the adventure of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area