Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM

77 posts, read 291,092 times

Advertisements

Hey all, Can y'all point me and the wife to some fun, cheap stuff to do in and around Springfield? We like nature--obviously it's about as cold here right now as back home, so this is limited--, the outdoors, education, history, all that jazz. My wife hasn't started work yet, and I'm back at grad school in a couple of days, so we're looking for distractions that won't cost too much! Thanks everybody, maybe even just post some of your fave scenic drives around the area (nothing too dangerous with the cold white stuff all over the ground--we're not real familiar with the area yet), and what-not. Have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 05:49 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_movingtarget View Post
Hey all, Can y'all point me and the wife to some fun, cheap stuff to do in and around Springfield? We like nature--obviously it's about as cold here right now as back home, so this is limited--, the outdoors, education, history, all that jazz. My wife hasn't started work yet, and I'm back at grad school in a couple of days, so we're looking for distractions that won't cost too much! Thanks everybody, maybe even just post some of your fave scenic drives around the area (nothing too dangerous with the cold white stuff all over the ground--we're not real familiar with the area yet), and what-not. Have a nice day!
The area just to the south and southeast of Springfield has fantastic scenery. If you are just looking for a nice country drive and have an hour or two to kill, head to Ozark and take MO 14 east to MO 125, and turn south. You can take that to US 160 and back to Springfield via US 65 or to MO 76 and back to Springfield via Branson and US 65. Watch out for ice on the roads, however.

If you are looking for something a little more adventurous in that area, you could always drive down the 23 mile Glade Top Trail [see: USDA Forest Service - Comment Form]. I actually have not driven the Glade Top Trail but I hear it is very scenic. I would not recommend driving it now until the roads thaw unless you have a 4X4/AWD vehicle or are comfortable with walking a very long ways if you get stuck out there, as the road is gravel and isolated.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:57 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,496 times
Wilsons Creek Battlefield. Springfield Art Museum. Main library, downtown (check out the architecture). Library Center just south of James River Expressway on South Campbell - movies, music, magazines, newspapers, geneology; seems like there are some books, too. Springfield History Museum -in the old city hall on Chestnut at Benton. Springfield Nature Center - trails, exhibits, bird watching, programs. Dickerson Park Zoo. Feed the ducks, or better yet, watch someone else feed the ducks at Sequiota Park. Several churches have a surprising variety of programs for singles, couples, families. Check for free or low cost music programs or concerts at Evangel, SMSU, and Drury. See Special Events - First & Calvary Presbyterian Church (http://firstandc.org/19.html - broken link) for free concerts at First and Calvary Presbyterian Church. Hiking - Hercules Glade, Busiek Park off US 65 south of Ozark. Several Conservation areas (Mo. Dept. of Conservation). There are several state parks close enough for day trips - see the Missouri State Parks website for attractions and activities. Go to the Buffalo River area for several hundred miles of trails. Maybe more than a thousand. See the libraries, local outdoor stores, or check online for information on area hiking trails. Pick up Mo. 125 east of Springfield and drive down to Ark. and cross Bull Shoals lake on the free ferry. Drive to Eureka Springs for the day. Go to Pea Ridge Battlefield near Fayetteville Ark. for chapter two of what happened at Wilsons Creek. Go up to Leadmine (just east of Tunas, north of Buffalo) and shop the Mennonite stores - get a map from the grocery.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM

879 posts, read 2,877,942 times
Default Table rock lake

And drive around Table Rock....out by the dam perhaps you can catch a bald eagle doing some fishing. The lake is beautiful this time of year. Then head over to Chateau on the Lake for a cocktail/tea/coffee and a million dollar view.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 AM

77 posts, read 291,092 times
Wow! Thanks for all the info, everyone! You've certainly packed our weekend--and then some! It is supposed to be nice this weekend and I have precious little homework to do, so we'll be doing some driving. Thanks again, and y'all have a great day!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
BASS PRo SHops

Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 PM

193 posts, read 786,093 times
Next weekend--February 4, 5, 6, and 7 is a large boat show in Springfield at the old Circuit City. The event is being sponsored by Sport Boats and there are scheduled to be over 40 vendors there. Free trout fishing for the kids on Saturday. Admission is only $3.00 to get in. On cold wintry days, these boat shows are something I always like to go to so I can think about spring coming in the near future. I am not a sponsor or involved in the boat show--just thought I would share a little idea of something I think is cheap to do in Springfield for an afternoon.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_movingtarget View Post
You can spend a day in Bass Pro just looking at stuff. It's a pretty amazing place.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-27-2016, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 8,283 times
Looking for fun free stuff to do around springfield for a person in a wheelchair

Old 06-27-2016, 05:55 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella1990 View Post
Looking for fun free stuff to do around springfield for a person in a wheelchair
Many of the Springfield/Greene county parks are wheelchair accessible. You might take a look at this Events Calendar and see if anything appeals to you: https://www.springfieldmo.org/events . The Springfield Nature Center has at least one accessible trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area