Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 09:12 PM

914 posts, read 2,197,488 times

Advertisements

One of the things about Springfield that has amazed me for years is the number of restaurants that have been around 40, 50, even 60 years with virtually no change in their menu, or even decor in some cases. Taylor's Drive In, the Pizza House, Mexican Villa, the Steak and Shake at National and St. Louis, and the Heritage Cafeteria would all be instantly recognizable for a time traveler from 1965.

Sadly, the Heritage closed about a week ago. I remember the original at Glenstone and Meadowmere. I remember the Sunday lines that snaked back and forth inside the door, and then (disappointingly to a hungry youngster) again at the front. I remember being on a tight budget and enjoying two pieces of chicken and a whole wheat roll for $1.50. Right up to the last there were the same strange cold salad dishes, the massive roast beef being sliced, the odd purple, green, pink, and red drinks (I never did think to ask what that stuff was. Kool-Aid I suppose.), impossibly tall meringue pies, but most of all the best fried chicken I have ever eaten. Take that Zaxby's.

More positively, according to the News-Leader, Mexican Villa is celebrating 65 years this weekend. I have been eating the beef and bean burrito, at least a basket of tortilla chips, and about a cup of the hot sauce with fair regularity for close to 50 of those (Sour cream but no jalapeño. To the wait staff - Yes, its me. Hi!).

Those who want an intimate look at what we did, where we went, and what we ate 50 years ago should make it a point to get to some of these places while they are still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 06:39 AM

914 posts, read 2,197,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Taylor's Drive In, the Pizza House, Mexican Villa, the Steak and Shake at National and St. Louis, and the Heritage Cafeteria would all be instantly recognizable for a time traveler from 1965.
... and Casper's. I almost forgot Casper's.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,400,301 times
This is where I spent bulk of my Teenage years.

Afterwards would either go to Seven Gables or Bypass Truck Stop.

brushrunner

Old 09-16-2016, 08:13 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,400,301 times
Just seen where they changed MFA Banner at the Mill off the square. My first off Farm Job, made $1.75 an hour, back when Feed came in 100# Burlap Bags.

Had a 3 Room Apartment on Main Street, paid $40 a month, Utilities paid.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area