U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 8,431 times

Advertisements

So I was initially looking to move to Boise, ID, from California, but haven't had much luck finding work there. I decided to expand my search and applied for a job in Springfield, MO. To my surprise they called me for an interview! I had a phone interview and will hopefully have a Skype interview next week. The position pays more than what I'm making now and the cost of living is much lower in Springfield, not to mention the position would be a great career move (I work in HR). It's also a large company that would allow for transferring down the road if I wanted to. They need someone to start as soon as possible, which is why I'm asking now in case I have to make a decision.

My concern is I have only been to Springfield twice and I don't remember much about it, so not sure I'll like living there. Also, I am a single mom to a 4 month old baby boy. I have immediate family where I live now. I don't rely on them for much at all, so I *think* I'd get along just fine without them. But I'm still nervous about it. I want to get out of California because the schools here suck, it's crazy expensive, and we have high crime rates. I feel like moving ensures a better future for my son.

Is the pay increase, lower cost of living, and career growth potential good enough reasons for moving? What is Springfield like? Have any other single moms made bold moves like this? Is it doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 05:15 PM

873 posts, read 1,747,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskayanne View Post

Is the pay increase, lower cost of living, and career growth potential good enough reasons for moving?
Yes.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:49 PM

357 posts, read 656,669 times
If you earnings potential in that company's HR department will offset the cost of quality child care and allow you to pay rent, utilities, gas et al then make the move. Living close to your family allows them to watch your four month old while you increase your savings.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:37 PM

23,601 posts, read 32,764,298 times
We live an hour's drive south of Springfield almost on the MO/AR border and go there often. It's not as bad small city, has good amenities and is far less frenetic than California from which we moved seven years ago. You could do a lot worse. Ozark is a bedroom community for Springfield, a short drive away and with very good schools. Check it out. I think you'll love the Ozarks.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:46 AM

265 posts, read 126,388 times
The winters are much easier here in the Ozarks than in Idaho. You can find some good deals here on real estate, but be careful do not buy right away, move here rent an apartment for the first year and go from there. Take some time to explore the area, some areas are nicer than others, some counties have more restrictions than others. Some counties are more like Mayberry in the twilight zone, Douglas county comes to mind here, hey is that booger county????? hehehehehehehe

I moved here from Illinois and never regretted it. I will stay in the Ozarks for the duration. Great place to raise kids, sure the schools kinda suck but if you are an involved parent it does not matter as much. I have several Grandkids growing up here and they are normal kids.

Gardening is easy here in the Ozarks, so if you like that sort of thing you are in luck. This place can be as modern as you want or as country back woods as you want. That is one of the best things around here. Lots of deadbeats looking for a free ride, but I guess you find that everywhere now a days.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,171 times
There are many Cally transplants already here who have made the move from the craziness that seems to be a way of life in California!

Be careful which neighborhood you choose to live in (ie; keep away from the north side of town) & if you can fit in a daily extra 1'2hr travelling every day, you will find some beautiful country venues & accommodations.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 AM

86 posts, read 197,113 times
Many ex-Californians hereabouts. The locals do not take criticism well even when I SHOUT that what I offer is but one chap's OPINION based upon 9-years of observation immersed with the Springfield area. The typical utterance by the local yokels is some variation of "Then why don't you move then if it is so bad!!!"

Sure. Move here. You may become enamored with the place!!! If lucky you will find a kindred spirit to commiserate with as you experience the many inanities and various idiocies you will be surrounded with. Try to look for the humor often exhibited by the local cohort of provincial peons. There are reasons for the low cost of living... some stay for THEIR wealth source while the masses huddle here because this is where their young roots were embedded and the kinfolk are their support base.

As an outsider you will quickly detect that, unlike California, these folks will assume you know persons A, B, C and D and most of their kin and that you are intimately familiar with every geographical entity within the city and outlaying towns. Basically, an inward-looking cohort unaware of what to an outside can be considered peculiarities but, to be equitable, the locals often view the outsider as the peculiar one.

As with every locale there is good, bad and with most an in-between gradient. When dealing with MOST (not all) locals converse in a basic manner with your interactions at an 8th-grade level and you will do fine. You will quickly ascertain the minority who you can communicate with at a higher level. Revel in these!!! When I met a kindred spirit, an outsider also, in the grocery store we spent nearly 45-minutes standing in the aisle shooting the breeze. So very refreshing!!!

An entire lengthy book could be written about this area and all the peculiarities AND mundaneness within.

For the naysayers rest easy, kids, for as soon as affairs allow I WILL be departing leaving you to revel in your semi-unique portion of the much larger entity known as humanity.

One final note... sure, move here. Just be careful who you associate with for there IS a lot of trashy folks hereabouts as indicated by the crime information on the City-Data page for Springfield.

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 280.5)

651.0 718.5 804.2 745.1 792.9 821.6

2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

Data/statistics are typically unreported. Meth and high ignorance rates and low-brow culture and incivility and the "good old boy" idiocy intruding from the Southern climes makes a morass of what decent, civil folks try to create.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited by BigRedIdiot; 12-19-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-19-2017, 04:14 PM

11,826 posts, read 5,519,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedIdiot View Post
Many ex-Californians hereabouts. The locals do not take criticism well even when I SHOUT that what I offer is but one chap's OPINION based upon 9-years of observation immersed with the Springfield area. The typical utterance by the local yokels is some variation of "Then why don't you move then if it is so bad!!!"

Sure. Move here. You may become enamored with the place!!! If lucky you will find a kindred spirit to commiserate with as you experience the many inanities and various idiocies you will be surrounded with. Try to look for the humor often exhibited by the local cohort of provincial peons. There are reasons for the low cost of living... some stay for THEIR wealth source while the masses huddle here because this is where their young roots were embedded and the kinfolk are their support base.

As an outsider you will quickly detect that, unlike California, these folks will assume you know persons A, B, C and D and most of their kin and that you are intimately familiar with every geographical entity within the city and outlaying towns. Basically, an inward-looking cohort unaware of what to an outside can be considered peculiarities but, to be equitable, the locals often view the outsider as the peculiar one.

As with every locale there is good, bad and with most an in-between gradient. When dealing with MOST (not all) locals converse in a basic manner with your interactions at an 8th-grade level and you will do fine. You will quickly ascertain the minority who you can communicate with at a higher level. Revel in these!!! When I met a kindred spirit, an outsider also, in the grocery store we spent nearly 45-minutes standing in the aisle shooting the breeze. So very refreshing!!!

An entire lengthy book could be written about this area and all the peculiarities AND mundaneness within.

For the naysayers rest easy, kids, for as soon as affairs allow I WILL be departing leaving you to revel in your semi-unique portion of the much larger entity known as humanity.

One final note... sure, move here. Just be careful who you associate with for there IS a lot of trashy folks hereabouts as indicated by the crime information on the City-Data page for Springfield.

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 280.5)

651.0 718.5 804.2 745.1 792.9 821.6

2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

Data/statistics are typically unreported. Meth and high ignorance rates and low-brow culture and incivility and the "good old boy" idiocy intruding from the Southern climes makes a morass of what decent, civil folks try to create.

Good luck!!!!
Ignore most of this post and you will be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or