Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 PM

28 posts, read 70,726 times

Advertisements

I forget if I've said it before, so I'll say it again, Purple Burrito is the best mexican food in the city. It's incredible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:35 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,142 times
Thumbs down The Grotto

Tried the Grotto yesterday in Springfield (side of Battlefield Marketplace)
and wasn't too impressed. Both of us had salads..one Thai and one grilled chicken salad. Both were HEAVY on roman lettuce with a little red cabbage, a few julianne carrot sticks. The Thai dressing was wonderful, but the salad overall was not very satisfying. A few small slices of chicken and maybe two peanuts. The regular grilled chicken salad was the same..lots and lots of lettuce, and one was hard pressed to find the chicken. I've heard really good things about this place, but it sure wasn't what I expected. You order at the counter and then pick up around the side of the kitchen. Sort of like Panera's ordering process. All in all an okay place to grab a quick lunch, but I don't think I would go back.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:38 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,142 times
Question Purple Burrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUBear42 View Post
I forget if I've said it before, so I'll say it again, Purple Burrito is the best mexican food in the city. It's incredible!
MSUBear...which one do you eat at? I have tried the one on Glenstone
and wasn't impressed at all. The chorizo was greasy, the guacamole from a frozen/mix base, etc. Not at all like anything I've had in California, AZ, or NM. Maybe it was the day or the place and I need to go again.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
We ate at Lambert's for the first time when visiting the Springfield area in February. What an experience! It was fun. We followed advice and "went starving", without eating anything all day beforehand. Still, there was just way too much food. It was good, though probably more expensive than it would have been with smaller portions and fewer of them. We had too much food to even try the "pass-arounds" that they bring by during the meal, many of which sounded great. I was pleased that they tossed the rolls at me very gently, since I am almost 60 and nearsighted and probably would not have caught them otherwise.

Next time, I'll try taking some food home with me, or sharing a meal with my dinner companion.
OMG. We went to Lambert's last week and I'm sorry - they are SOOOOOOO overrated. The food was *not* great (only marginal), the service was poor and the atmosphere was loud and annoying. We could not even have a normal conversation because it was so LOUD.

The fried okra was TASTELESS and the main entree was NOT well prepared or tasty at all. I was very, very, very, VERY, DISAPPOINTED with the entire experience. I would never go back, and I could not, in good conscience recommend this place to anyone.

Maybe I was there on a bad night, but I cannot find it in my heart to give them another chance because it was so, incredibly bad.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 PM

28 posts, read 70,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
and wasn't impressed at all. The chorizo was greasy, the guacamole from a frozen/mix base, etc. Not at all like anything I've had in California, AZ, or NM. Maybe it was the day or the place and I need to go again.
I've only gone to the one on campbell. They also have really good nachos and burritos.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:43 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
OMG. We went to Lambert's last week and I'm sorry - they are SOOOOOOO overrated. The food was *not* great (only marginal), the service was poor and the atmosphere was loud and annoying. We could not even have a normal conversation because it was so LOUD.

The fried okra was TASTELESS and the main entree was NOT well prepared or tasty at all. I was very, very, very, VERY, DISAPPOINTED with the entire experience. I would never go back, and I could not, in good conscience recommend this place to anyone.

Maybe I was there on a bad night, but I cannot find it in my heart to give them another chance because it was so, incredibly bad.

20yrsinBranson
Well, I wasn't crazy about it either - - mainly because there was just way too much food for me and that made me feel uncomfortable. I don't like to waste food. It wasn't loud when we were there but I don't like loud places either, so I wouldn't have had a very good time if it had been loud. I don't plan to ever suggest it when we are deciding on where to eat, but that doesn't mean I won't end up eating there again sometime. (grin) Who knows? Maybe this summer when we are visiting the Springfield area.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 06-05-2010 at 11:52 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times
Thumbs up Happy to say I went to Chez Robert in Nixa!

Well, I must confess to being such a procrastinator!

Recently, some girlfriends and I went to Chez Robert for lunch and I loved it! Instead of it being pricey, it was very reasonable! The lunch special is usually about $7.99 and includes your drink. On that particular day, Chez Robert decided to add a slice of pie and made a special for just two dollars more.

THE PIE IS OFF-THE-CHARTS-GOOOOOD!!! First off, they're beautiful, which is the first way we eat...with our eyes, right? Among our group, we had coconut meringue, butterscotch meringue and chocolate meringue pies. I can still taste that pie and crave it every time I think of it! Haha! This guy makes the best crust I've ever eaten in my life!

Anyway, I had a chance to speak with Chez Robert while I was waiting for my friends to arrive and learned that he only buys the best cuts of meat. Another thing I learned was that his pasta dishes on the dinner menu are so big that "you will have leftovers".

I haven't been back for dinner, yet, but I have gone back with MrG and he loved it, too! Even though they do have a lovely tea room atmosphere, he wasn't uncomfortable and definitely wants to go back, too!

I love this thread, MrsC and I thank you for pointing this restaurant out to me, Snake! Hugs to all my "old" friends here in CD Land. Looking around at the forum today, I'm sorry I don't get back as often as I used to.

P.S. I'll tell MrG about those Asian Citrus Ribs, Snake! I hadn't remembered that comment from before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Mrs. G -

Have you ever tried Chez Robert in Nixa? It seems that you prefer more quaint restaurants with their own special touch (as do I). Chez Robert is right up that alley, and I have always been pleased with my meals there. In addition to the overall taste of food, the small touches are nice. They make their own salad dressings and the best strawberry ice tea that I've ever had. Their Asian Citrus ribs are also a personal favorite of mine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
No, I haven't tried Chez Robert, Snake! I'm not sure I've ever heard of it. I googled the name and found a link to their menu, though: Chez Robert Gourmet Tea Room Menu - Nixa, MO 65714 - Allmenus.com

I also learned where they are so I can go there. Is it one of those places where you can feel relaxed or is it one of those places that makes you feel like you need to dress up and hold out your pinky, preferably with a pair of gloves on? Cuz I'm never gonna get MrG to go with me to one of those places!!! Hahaha!

Thanks again for the tip, Snake! I can't help but wonder...are there others who've eaten there? If so, please give us your report!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
No worries, MrsG! The atmosphere is quite relaxed, and you will see people wearing anything from khakis and polos to jeans and sweatshirts. A family runs everything from the kitchen (Chef Robert) to the register, so it's a small place. If I recall correctly, they're open Tuesday - Saturday. They stop seating at 8 pm, so it's definitely not a late-night affair. I think you'll really enjoy Chez Robert, and MrG can leave the bowtie and cumberbund at home.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM

57 posts, read 165,772 times
I'm glad you liked Chez Robert. As Nixa Residents, we go whenever it's in the budget. We've yet to make it out for lunch, but their Dinner can't be beat. The steaks are out of this world, but their potatoe dish will melt in your mouth.

It very tea room like, but I suggest try bringing your kids in. They LOVE kids there and their kids dishes are really neat. They always fix it up with umbrellas and the Ring Pop they give is my son's fav.

Plan on spending some $$$ for dinner though.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:49 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times
Thanks, cisman. For the record, my youngest son is turning 35 this month so I doubt he'd qualify for one of those kids meals. Haha! I did look at the dinner menu and it's not that expensive. We don't go out often and it's more than we would spend for just any time, though. If any of you are interested in seeing the menu, just google it. You'll find it at menuism.com if nowhere else. I think I posted it awhile back, too. Anyway, here's what 417 Magazine had to say:

Chez Robert Tea Room & Bistro
There are secret specials at Chez Robert that aren't on its menu. Good ones. Regulars know to ask for the restaurant's chicken carbonara, a recipe that owner Robert Baker wrote for cooking competition. When the contest judges started walking in and asking for the dish by name, Chef Robert (pronounced "Row-BEAR") knew he had a hit on his hands.

As hits go, it's a monster: Four pounds of penne pasta, two six-ounce grilled and buttered chicken breasts, creamy carbonara sauce, pepperoni, bacon, black olives, white onion, green and red peppers and button mushrooms. With a salad and fresh-baked focaccia bread served as sides, all for $15.99, it's one of those "never-leave-hungry" dishes Baker likes to serve. "No one eats it all," Baker's mom, Marilyn, says. "But there are those who try," Baker says. 604 W. Mt. Vernon St., Nixa, 417-724-2121.

Value Meter
Menu Price: $15.99
What it Should Cost: $18.99
Value Rating: +++

Chez Robert (pronounced "Shay Row-bear") is a relaxed, friendly guy and he's passionate about what he does. He talked about the cut and quality of meats he buys and the amount of food you get and I'm convinced it'll be worth it. I guess you know he won an award for his chicken salad sandwiches. It's often a lunch special, half a sandwich with soup and his amazing pasta salad...very different from others I've had. It kind of tastes sweet like a cole slaw would. And as a family run restaurant, they make us feel like we're old friends dropping by for a visit. How does that happen?! I don't know, but I like it.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
I would go with you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area