Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:37 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times

Advertisements

You definitely made me laugh, Mrs. G! I kept trying to picture myself as a rough looking biker dude, and it was hysterical. You're a lot more likely to see me toting my Beretta at Ozark Shooters than jockeying a Harley down 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 09:06 AM

27 posts, read 113,027 times
I don't live in Springfield (NYC)anymore but was born and raised and my family lives there so I visit alot. I was there about a month ago and went to a few of my favorite spots - which are:

Caspers - the epitome of a greasy spoon and oh man is it good

Pappy's BBQ - LOVE Pappy's! It is a tiny little place in a little north of downtown in an old house. Their BBQ is authentic and the atmosphere is very, very casual.

Haruno - the Sex and the City rols are my favorite. I have not tried Kai.

Tongs - great Thai food. I used to always go to Thai House or Peppers but then tried Tongs and I have never gone back to either of the other two. Their food is really flavorful and well spiced.

Tea Bar and Bites - on Pickwick. Small little place to have lunch. The food is all home-made and very good and the atmosphere is very quaint and intimate.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:20 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,796 times
Oh, how fun! All places I've never been to, Gaia! Thanks for the faves list!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 PM

50 posts, read 213,335 times
Just went to Ryan's on Kearny (NE Springfield) over the weekend. The place was a bit noisy (big, big room) even with not much of a crowd, but the staff is friendly and the price was ok - I think around $11 or $12 for a big buffet. Everything was hot and fresh at four in the afternoon on Saturday. They have a lot to choose from and I didn't see anything that looked gross. The only thing I would complain about (if one can even complain about buffet food?) is that their stuffing to go with the turkey was too dry. :-)

Also, four of us went to Logan's recently and all of our steaks were either wrong (wrong kind of steak) or not cooked correctly. In my case I have no idea what they served me. It really looked like one of those things you might cover with breading and make into a chicken-fried steak, all pounded out flat and thin, and way overcooked! Horrible experience. Oh yeah, the manager came out and asked what the problem was in a tone that made me think she couldn't believe I had the gall to complain about the food. The following weekend we went to Outback, just because they are so consistent (though a bit overpriced), and we weren't disappointed. Never going back to Logan's.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Default More reviews...

Wow! I don't blame you, GreenGeek! I'm beginning to wonder if Logan's has gone through some kind of ownership or management change. I'm even afraid to go back after these reports!

I've only gone to one Ryan's and it was way over below St. Louis but it was great. I never expect to like everything on a buffet so if you could only complain about a dry stuffing, that sounds really good. I have thought of going to the one on Campbell in Springfield but we haven't gone, yet. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think it's the kind of feedback most of us can benefit from.

Well, we finally made it to Mr. Yen's and it was pretty good but it really wasn't worth the price. I'd be willing to go back on a weekday for lunch to try their lunch specials but on Sunday afternoon, the prices were the same as dinners. If the quality was better, we'd be okay with the price...but I think that we should really look forward to going back if we're gonna pay those prices.

We also made it out to the new Old Chicago Pizza place on Independence in S. Springfield, next to Home Depot. It was also on a Sunday afternoon and we had their Pizza Buffet. I don't really know what it's called but there are several different pizza's both thin and thick, bread sticks and strombolis at the buffet and your server brings your soup or salad. The price was great, the Chicago Style pizza's were good, the thin pizza's were cardboardish, the stromboli we had was great and the salad dressings were awesome. (Ranch and bluecheese, btw.) It was busy (they say it has been since they opened) but we got a table within 20 minutes, I guess. We look forward to going back.

By the way, the lunch pizza buffet is available 11-2 M-F and 11-4 S & S. If you want to see their menu, go to Chicago Style Pizza and Pasta - 110 Beers - Springfield Old Chicago (http://www.oldchicago.com/DisplayLocationOC.php?FKLocationID=10160 - broken link) and click where it says, "Check out our menu (includes prices)". There's a ton of things I look forward to trying...even though I shouldn't.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 AM

Mrs. G -

Have you ever tried Chez Robert in Nixa? It seems that you prefer more quaint restaurants with their own special touch (as do I). Chez Robert is right up that alley, and I have always been pleased with my meals there. In addition to the overall taste of food, the small touches are nice. They make their own salad dressings and the best strawberry ice tea that I've ever had. Their Asian Citrus ribs are also a personal favorite of mine!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM

No, I haven't tried Chez Robert, Snake! I'm not sure I've ever heard of it. I googled the name and found a link to their menu, though: Chez Robert Gourmet Tea Room Menu - Nixa, MO 65714 - Allmenus.com

I also learned where they are so I can go there. Is it one of those places where you can feel relaxed or is it one of those places that makes you feel like you need to dress up and hold out your pinky, preferably with a pair of gloves on? Cuz I'm never gonna get MrG to go with me to one of those places!!! Hahaha!

Thanks again for the tip, Snake! I can't help but wonder...are there others who've eaten there? If so, please give us your report!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Is it one of those places where you can feel relaxed or is it one of those places that makes you feel like you need to dress up and hold out your pinky, preferably with a pair of gloves on? Cuz I'm never gonna get MrG to go with me to one of those places!!! Hahaha!
No worries, MrsG! The atmosphere is quite relaxed, and you will see people wearing anything from khakis and polos to jeans and sweatshirts. A family runs everything from the kitchen (Chef Robert) to the register, so it's a small place. If I recall correctly, they're open Tuesday - Saturday. They stop seating at 8 pm, so it's definitely not a late-night affair. I think you'll really enjoy Chez Robert, and MrG can leave the bowtie and cumberbund at home.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 AM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times
Default Big Easy's

My brother and I tried Big Easy's on Sunshine and can give it a rousing thumbs up! It's pretty downhome (ie...chrome tables, order at counter, etc.) but the food was good, hearty, with good value for the $$. It's on Sunshine east of Glenstone. Not too terribly far from hiway 65.

And I tried the bagels at The Coffee Ethic (on the corner of the square in downtown Springfield). REAL bagels....boiled and then baked for that nice crusty outside and chewy inside. But not cheap if you buy them by the doz. They aren't really set up to sell them that way so you pay the individual price for each one. But they sure are good.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Hey, MrsC! Big Easy's sounds good! What did you have?

We went to Dick Clark's restaurant in Branson a couple of weeks ago. It...well...let me just say we don't plan to go back.
Definitely nothing to write home about...but not bad enough to report it to the manager or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area