Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:53 AM

188 posts, read 253,564 times

Advertisements

My wife and I need to make a run to Arkansas during March, and want to see the mountain areas of southern Missouri. Can you give us some highways that would provide the best in mountain scenery and such. It might be for looking at a retirement land or home in 2-3 years, as we are trying to decide between retirement in NW Arkansas or Southern Missouri. We have at least a couple of days- should be coming from around the Fayetteville, Ar. area, and can go just about anywhere...
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 11:17 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Drive to the Ouachita Mountains in mid-Arkansas in the area around Mena. That area should give you some ideas so-called of mountain (elev. less than 2400 feet) areas of the Ozarks. For the record, most of the Ozarks are made up of hills, not mountains. As one author wrote, "It's not that our hills are so high, it's that our valleys are so deep." It's a unique, magical, mystical region of our country.

For SW Missouri take Hwy. 13 south from Springfield through Kimberling City to Blue Eye then left to pick up Hwy. 86 heading north to Hwy. 65 or for easier driving, Hwy. 65 all the way from Springfield to and past Branson to the Arkansas line. Both will take you through the hill country.

To reach the highest point in the Ozarks take Hwy. 65 south towards Harrison, AR and use your GPS to take you to Jasper, AR - a quintessential Ozarks village/town. Pass city hall and the Ozarks Café (oldest continuously serving restaurant) and then turn left on Hwy. 7 and head up to the lookout point overlooking the "Arkansas Grand Canyon" which is a Buffalo National River gorge. The drives are gorgeous and if you continue on over crest you'll drop into the valley and go through another village on your way back toward Branson.

Be warned! The third time you visit you'll likely bring your furniture.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-08-2017 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Drive to the Ouachita Mountains in mid-Arkansas in the area around Mena. That area should give you some ideas so-called of mountain (elev. less than 2400 feet) areas of the Ozarks. For the record, most of the Ozarks are made up of hills, not mountains. As one author wrote, "It's not that our hills are so high, it's that our valleys are so deep." It's a unique, magical, mystical region of our country.

For SW Missouri take Hwy. 13 south from Springfield through Kimberling City to Blue Eye then left to pick up Hwy. 86 heading north to Hwy. 65 or for easier driving, Hwy. 65 all the way from Springfield to and past Branson to the Arkansas line. Both will take you through the hill country.

To reach the highest point in the Ozarks take Hwy. 65 south towards Harrison, AR and use your GPS to take you to Jasper, AR - a quintessential Ozarks village/town. Pass city hall and the Ozarks Café (oldest continuously serving restaurant) and then turn left on Hwy. 7 and head up to the lookout point overlooking the "Arkansas Grand Canyon" which is a Buffalo National River gorge. The drives are gorgeous and if you continue on over crest you'll drop into the valley and go through another village on your way back toward Branson.

Be warned! The third time you visit you'll likely bring your furniture.
We were through Jasper during Thanksgiving week. We cruised from Fort Smith to Mena then to Hot Springs. On another trip that week, we drove from FS to Mountain View- back to Harrison, Jasper, Eureka Springs, then Fayetteville. A long week of driving but productive. Now, we want to see what Missouri has to offer.

We are moving to Fort Smith this June so that my wife wraps up her last 2 years before retiring. We want to take those 2 years looking for our retirement home in the mountains/hills/valleys. Houston Texas is sorely lacking in mountains/hills/valleys, so we have decided on N.W. Ark. or S. Mo. We have not seen southern Missouri before, so here we come...

Old 02-08-2017, 06:16 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
For north-south routes through the southern Missouri hill country I suggest highways Mo. 86, Mo. 39, Mo. 13, US 65, Mo. 125, or Mo. 5. The only east-west road that crosses those hills for any significant distance is US 160 from about Reeds Springs Junction to Gainesville.

My favorite is Mo. 125, but that is mere personal preference. You could choose any two going and returning, but I really cannot recommend a particular choice.

Most of these roads are slow going. Bring provisions.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
For north-south routes through the southern Missouri hill country I suggest highways Mo. 86, Mo. 39, Mo. 13, US 65, Mo. 125, or Mo. 5. The only east-west road that crosses those hills for any significant distance is US 160 from about Reeds Springs Junction to Gainesville.

My favorite is Mo. 125, but that is mere personal preference. You could choose any two going and returning, but I really cannot recommend a particular choice.

Most of these roads are slow going. Bring provisions.
Sounds good. The nice part is that we have nowhere to go and a lot of time to get there.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
Down 5 HWY

brushrunner

Old 02-13-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Down 5 HWY

brushrunner
Where is that near? Beautiful stuff...

Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Don't neglect Ozark and Douglas counties, as well as Texas and Oregon counties. areas north of Gainesville are wonderful, as is northern Oregon county. Some nice spots in western Texas county and eastern Shannon county, too, and I like areas in St. Francois and Iron counties as well. Really, anywhere between Poplar Bluff and Springfield and south of a Farmington to Rolla line is potentially interesting.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:28 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I would say the St. Francois Mountains are worth a visit -- Caledonia south through Ironton and Pilot Knob on hwy 21 as well as east toward Fredericktown on hwy 72. It's a relatively small area that includes Taum Sauk Mountain, Johnson Shut-ins, Silver Mine Camp (hwy D) and Fort Davidson battlefield. This area is the remnant of an ancient mountain range and includes some of the oldest exposed rocks in the US if you are interested in geology.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
You might also want to consider Shepherd of the Hills country in SW MO. Branson isn't all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area