U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:49 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,091,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendra View Post
Though the Ozarks do have certain Southern cultural influences, Missouri is still considered a Midwestern state:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

Having lived in SW MO for 16 years (15 in Joplin, one now in Springfield), and TN for 12, I can definitely say there is a big difference between the South proper, and the state of Missouri. The OP is from MS and TX. I wouldn't want to mislead her into thinking Springfield is much like the South. Joplin does have a little more of a Southern feel due to bordering AR and OK. But even then, it's not like TX or MS, which is where the OP is familiar.

Go South on Haseltine (sp) Road couple miles and I believe you will still see Slave Owners House there to your Right. The Keepers House is to the left in a field. The Slave Barn was next to the road before it burnt just over 30 years ago.

You will find many remnants of Slave Owners and Slave Quarters through the state.

If the State was allowed to fight for the South during the Civil War which it should have, and should have had more Confederate backing you would be considering it the South.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM

35,107 posts, read 43,003,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Have to agree my Ancestors from Missouri owned Slaves and Fought for the Confederacy.
I lived in Springfield until I went in the service at 17. Never seen a Black until I moved North.

But things have changed. Blacks for the most part are tolerated. Me and my wife work down there and we see a few blacks and have the most trouble with them as far as Counterfeiting, selling Drugs, Stealing and just causing trouble. Not trying to think this way we deal with far more Whites and don't have trouble. Just the way it is.
Some times just soon not deal with them but our Boss says their money spends just as good.
brushrunner

This is possibly the most racist statement I have ever read.
I had hoped everyone with this type of attitude had already died years ago, no wonder racism is still alive and running amok for no good reason.

OP: In my experience one can fit in anywhere they choose to fit in if they really want to.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:48 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I had hoped everyone with this type of attitude had already died years ago, no wonder racism is still alive and running amok for no good reason.

OP: In my experience one can fit in anywhere they choose to fit in if they really want to.

Well I'm sure the OP wanted the truth. Know a woman down there freaked out because a Black man touched her. Had relatives come from Springfield when we lived up North couldn't believe we let the Blacks walk the streets at night.

brushrunner

Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM

694 posts, read 1,172,157 times
well this thread has gone to hell in a hand basket, hasn't it

Isn't it about time for onegoal, alias MOforthewin, to make a comment on how mashed potatoes and gravy not only prove we are Southern, but what wonderful gun laws we have in Missouri.

For the record - before and during the Civil War - SW Missouri leaned heavily Union in its sympathies. You had to go north to the Missouri River and east to the Mississippi River to find counties that leaned heavily Confederate. If you want to believe you are Southern cause you live in these parts, more power to you. But the war doesn't help make the case.

Being Southern is to be found in the heart - not the zip code, in my opinion.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:41 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,026,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Go South on Haseltine (sp) Road couple miles and I believe you will still see Slave Owners House there to your Right. The Keepers House is to the left in a field. The Slave Barn was next to the road before it burnt just over 30 years ago.

You will find many remnants of Slave Owners and Slave Quarters through the state.

If the State was allowed to fight for the South during the Civil War which it should have, and should have had more Confederate backing you would be considering it the South.

brushrunner
It is such a complex issue explaining Missouri's status due to two state governments. However, remember the constitutional convention had NO authority to evict the lawmakers at all. All because they fled Jefferson City doesn't mean they resigned from office as well. Hell governors regularly sign bills in various areas of the state and are considered valid. The second is if a quorum was present at the meeting in Neosho to seceded if there were enough members present. I believe there was for the Senate but the house has doubts but evidence suggest there were enough votes present.

Regardless, Missouri was admitted as a Confederate state by the Confederate congress. During the civil war Missouri lawmakers were far more pro south than Kentucky was. KY was never in danger of leaving the union and many favored the union over the confederacy. The KY governor was neutral but wasn't full blown Confederate like Missouri's Claiborne Fox Jackson who was quite vocal about wanting to leave the union along with many of the lawmakers which grabbed Lincolns attention and he sent the Union army into St. Louis.

If only Claibs kept his mouth shut and wasn't so vocal about it and did it more low key, The Confederacy would probably have taken control of Missouri.

One could also say Pea Ridge was the deciding factor too. A big victory there would likely have put a large part of MO under Confederate control and today more people would call it a southern state instead of a border state or Midwestern state.

Not all of the Ozarks are southern as they extend into St. Louis county! When you get out of st. louis county it's a gradual transition from Midwest to southern as you head south. We have all covered this before. Highway 50 is the dividing line between the transition zone and Midwest.

Overall Missouri politics have a lot of southern influences though compared to the other Midwest states.

Most agree Missouri is 50 percent Midwestern, 25 percent transition zone and 25 percent pure southern, Dixie.

Take away KC and Stl and Missouri looks a lot more like Arkansas.

Places like West Plains, Branson, Dexter, Jackson, Cabool, Caruthersville are NOT Midwestern at all. I see nothing Midwestern about Table Rock and Branson area. Last time I was there felt very southern and many of the locals had southern accents.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
well this thread has gone to hell in a hand basket, hasn't it

Isn't it about time for onegoal, alias MOforthewin, to make a comment on how mashed potatoes and gravy not only prove we are Southern, but what wonderful gun laws we have in Missouri.

For the record - before and during the Civil War - SW Missouri leaned heavily Union in its sympathies. You had to go north to the Missouri River and east to the Mississippi River to find counties that leaned heavily Confederate. If you want to believe you are Southern cause you live in these parts, more power to you. But the war doesn't help make the case.

Being Southern is to be found in the heart - not the zip code, in my opinion.
Btw being pro union doesn't mean you're not southern!

Places in the Ozarks in Northern Arkansas, Southwest Missouri, Eastern TN, Kentucky, and Virginia (WV) all had large areas that were very pro union yet are still southern.

Eastern TN nearly broke away like present day West Virginia did, but the Confederacy came in and prevented it.

The upper south was heavily union in many areas. That doesn't mean one is not southern.

The Ozarks had a lot of very pro confederate areas though. Ripley, Oregon, Howell, Butler counties were very pro Confederate. Also areas around Phelps county as well.

Hell even St. Louis sent a few thousand men to the Confederacy, many of them Irish.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

How is that racist? I've called out white trash on here many times as well for stuff they do.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
How is that racist? I've called out white trash on here many times as well for stuff they do.
Now Onegoal - I am pretty sure you have already been identified on this forum as the same person as LetsgoBlues on the Stormfront website. http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t856098/

I believe you even used this same handle on citydata for a spell until your were banned from CD. So I seriously doubt your definition of white trash is the same as most

And CSD610 was not even referring to your statement as a racist one. Read slowly, take the time to understand, and then breath before typing a well thought out response. The time stamps on your forum responses show you aren't.

Better yet - you live in Florida - go to the beach or Disney World and turn off your computer for while

Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Now Onegoal - I am pretty sure you have already been identified on this forum as the same person as LetsgoBlues on the Stormfront website. http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t856098/

I believe you even used this same handle on citydata for a spell until your were banned from CD. So I seriously doubt your definition of white trash is the same as most

And CSD610 was not even referring to your statement as a racist one. Read slowly, take the time to understand, and then breath before typing a well thought out response. The time stamps on your forum responses show you aren't.

Better yet - you live in Florida - go to the beach or Disney World and turn off your computer for while
Living in Southwest MO, you would HATE living in most places in Florida minus northern florida. It's way too crowded here in Florida now and it's a lot more moderate to liberal than Missouri is now. Traffic is simply terrible down here especially in season. I would say most places in Florida are less southern than southern Missouri. have to go to the rural areas in the northern part of the state to find Dixie. Even rural areas in South Florida don't feel that southern.

I hate our gun laws down here. No constitutional carry, no open carry, and stricter carry laws than MO. At least in MO carrying into prohibited places is just a citation with a ccw permit versus here in Florida it can be a felony with a permit. The gun ranges and gun shops in St. Louis area also A LOT better than down here. So many more gun ranges.

All the gun bills this year are dead again here in FL. Even licensed open carry bill. HB 630 in MO at any time could go to the house floor for a vote.

Also the latest Brady Rankings places Missouri 49th!!! For best gun laws now! Only Mississippi beat Missouri out! Missouri with hb 630 could be Number ONE!

Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acI12jO0HSQ

As well thought out as I could come up with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area