Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

From time to time I think how nice it would be to go to town and enjoy listening to some nice music. Unfortunately, it seems to be getting harder and harder to find something that isnt..... A. Country or B. Rock (which would also include all those other things like "blues" "R & B" etc.)

We'd really love some smooth jazz or some good old standards ala Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, etc. I realize that it's almost too much to hope for, but does anyone here happen to know a nice place that would fit the bill? We haven't been out for such a long, long time because we simply cannot stand what passes for "music" in most places these days.

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 PM

140 posts, read 273,929 times
Well, I know that Celtic Woman will be at the JQH Arena on April 30, 2011. Of course, they're not smooth jazz or good old standards, but they're not country or rock, either. It doesn't look like tickets are on sale just yet, but I think they'll be quite pricey (at least for my family, anyway) when they are made available. But you'd also have a few months to save up for them.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:11 PM

193 posts, read 786,398 times
How about stopping by at the Wal Mart on Branson Hills Parkway and listening to the Salvation Army volunteer singing and playing his guitar???
Sorry about my being fececious (sp?) but I think that is the one of the most neat things I've seen those "bell ringers" do during the Christmas season!

Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 AM

62 posts, read 130,121 times
Tony Bennett did a gig at the Branson palace. $80 a ticket, so I did not go. Those that did gave it the high 5.
Ray Charles performed at the Branson outdoors theater in front of a small audience. He was great as always. Half the audience however were seen taking a nap.
Billy Ray did the palace at Branson with a very loud country rock show. My daughter and I preferred an ice cream in the foyer.
Then of course the unknown John Williamson from Australia. Pure country excellant music and his reputation preceded him. In the audience were fans from Canada and most of of our States. There was a huge line up for signed CD's after the show in Springfield.
Pierce Arrow as always give a very professional show with a good range of music, they are good value.
Lets face it, there are better than good pickers & grinners all over southern Missouri, there's just not enough work to go around........that keeps the quality at the excellent standard we enjoy.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
How about stopping by at the Wal Mart on Branson Hills Parkway and listening to the Salvation Army volunteer singing and playing his guitar???
Sorry about my being fececious (sp?) but I think that is the one of the most neat things I've seen those "bell ringers" do during the Christmas season!
The bell ringer at the main mall WalMart had a ukelele the other day. It was great (she had a nice voice too).

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethP View Post
Well, I know that Celtic Woman will be at the JQH Arena on April 30, 2011. Of course, they're not smooth jazz or good old standards, but they're not country or rock, either. It doesn't look like tickets are on sale just yet, but I think they'll be quite pricey (at least for my family, anyway) when they are made available. But you'd also have a few months to save up for them.
That sounds interesting. Thanks for letting me know about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-08-2010, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,835 times
The DoubleTree in Springfield MO has Jazz every Friday night with happy hour at Houlihans! Check them out, you will be glad you did!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM

28 posts, read 63,798 times
Kyle Aho plays jazz standards on the piano at Haruno's every Friday and Saturday night. He is a jazz professor at MSU and VERY passionate about jazz. He might be a good source for more information about where to go to find good jazz.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 AM

great info. thankyou

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM

140 posts, read 273,929 times
If you're up for a road trip on short notice, The Three Irish Tenors will be performing at Leach Theater here in Rolla on Dec. 17th. Missouri S&T, Leach Theatre Again, not jazz or Sinatra, but not country or rock either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area