Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 27,204 times

Advertisements

I have a weather question. With 46 degrees, semi clear, no precipitation as was just posted today near AVA, MO.
What does 85 percent humidity feel like???? Sounds like a stupid question, but for the thoughts of moving down there from Seattle WA. Is it fairly tolerable in the day time and how often is there high humidity?

Thanks for any replys

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:12 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
That kind of humidity, with that kind of temperature, is tolerable, I'd say. A lot of people would be complaining a lot more about the temps than the humidity, at that level.
Springfield sits on a plateau in the Ozarks. It's often slightly less humid there than the surrounding areas... especially Arkansas to the south.
Nobody's going to confuse it with the desert, though. It gets very humid there at times. In the summer, when the heat sets in, that's when it feels the worst. In cool weather, it's not so bad at all

Old 11-12-2008, 10:22 PM

Default Thanks for the reply on humidity

I couldn't quite figure out how it would be when humidity's posted up to 90 percent.
In brookfield MO. when I was a kid visiting relatives in the summer, you couldn't breath, no air flow at all. I was hoping in the ozarks there would be more wind and less of a smothering feeling.

I'm trying to convince my wife that it's not that bad...........

Is it about the same from Springfield to Cabool etc...

What about in the summer?

John

Old 11-12-2008, 11:24 PM

974 posts, read 1,586,760 times
springfield/cabool isnt bad at all in the summer as far as breathing. now down here where i am near the arkansas border it gets pretty stuffy, but still able to breathe ok.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbroady View Post
I couldn't quite figure out how it would be when humidity's posted up to 90 percent.
In brookfield MO. when I was a kid visiting relatives in the summer, you couldn't breath, no air flow at all. I was hoping in the ozarks there would be more wind and less of a smothering feeling.

I'm trying to convince my wife that it's not that bad...........

Is it about the same from Springfield to Cabool etc...

What about in the summer?

John
I live in the Kansas City area. I've been to north-central Missouri a few times. Judging by that, and what I've seen on the weather forecasts, I'm guessing where I'm at is somewhat similar to Brookfield.
Maybe there wasn't much wind the particular times you visited there, but it is substantially windier than the Ozarks on average. There's not much in the way of hills to break up the wind coming down from the plains.

Nobody has been able to come up with a solid reason as to why, but the region you're talking about does seem to be more tolerable humidity-wise than all the areas around it, including to the north. Maybe it's because the elevation is a little bit higher. It still can get very hot, and by no means is it not humid, just not as bad as other places.
Pretty much every place in the middle of the country gets really hot, though, at least for a few weeks during the summer. I work with a guy who's originally from Oregon. All he does is complain about the weather. Too hot in the summer. Too cold in the winter.
I don't want to burst your bubble. Southern Missouri's not a bad place. I'm very familiar with Ava. We visit relatives in that area quite often. The countryside down there is a nice, peaceful getaway from the city.
Coming from Seattle, the weather will be drastically different.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
You WILL need an air conditioner, not just to cool the house, but to remove the excess moisture. Or a de-humidifier. But when the heat and humidity are really high, which happens for a couple weeks in the summer, just do your outside chores early. Stay inside during the heat of the day, and go out and watch the lightning bugs after dark. But use some OFF or the mosquitoes will have a buffet! Or go to the Lake or floating on the river and play in the water with friends And remember, if you don't like the weather, just wait....yadda yadda yadda.
I always thought Seattle would suffer humidity problems-doesn't it rain a lot up there? I guess the temps don't get so high....

Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 AM

27 posts, read 114,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I don't want to burst your bubble. Southern Missouri's not a bad place. I'm very familiar with Ava. We visit relatives in that area quite often. The countryside down there is a nice, peaceful getaway from the city.
Coming from Seattle, the weather will be drastically different.
Even though i don't live in MO, I couldn't agree more with the "drastic" comment. I've lived in CA all my life, but have family in WA and have visited there most of my life. I also have family in SW MO and visit there (and LOVE it there), but the ONLY thing keeping dh and I from considering retiring there is the humidity. I'm just not used to it, and it feels sweltering to me. The air is heavy. I'm an active outdoorsy type and I know I couldn't run/hike/exercise in that type of weather. I guess I would join a gym in the summer and save those things for Fall/Spring.

Just curious....why do you want to leave WA?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM

Default Reply to Lynn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
Even though i don't live in MO, I couldn't agree more with the "drastic" comment. I've lived in CA all my life, but have family in WA and have visited there most of my life. I also have family in SW MO and visit there (and LOVE it there), but the ONLY thing keeping dh and I from considering retiring there is the humidity. I'm just not used to it, and it feels sweltering to me. The air is heavy. I'm an active outdoorsy type and I know I couldn't run/hike/exercise in that type of weather. I guess I would join a gym in the summer and save those things for Fall/Spring.

Just curious....why do you want to leave WA?
Thanks for your input

I Live in the middle of five wooded acres, which we really enjoy, but the property taxes are very high and it rain around 90 inches a year here.

With the prices of property where we live I was thinking I could trade mine in for enough land to have some cattle...(hobby farm). There's no prettier place than here in the Northwest in the summer, but the 8 months of grey drizzley wet (the 90 inces of rain spread out) gets to me. My wife doesn't mind it but I do. I wondered if the feel of high humidity down there would be a better trade.

Thanks
John

I see it get around 45 inches of rain in the Ozarks.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:09 PM

To Northbound74

I know what you mean about the complaining, but it's not so much the cold up here (and in Oregon) it's the dampness which make a person feel colder than the actual temperature.

Nice in the summer though. We have lots of water around us but because of the soil here, you can't keep it in a hole if you want a pond.

Another question.......how do people feel about having personal property taxed there, and is it a large amount, also personal state income tax? (which we don't have, as of yet).

John

Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Missouri taxes are quite low, as is the overall cost of living. We don't like property taxes, of course, but they're not stifling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area