U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,331 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all - my family will be moving the the Springfield area in the very near future due to an employment change. What do I need to know about Springfield? We are looking forward to the move and welcome any advice you can offer. Since we are completely new to the area, we will need recommendations on doctors, dentists, vets (for cats, specifically), churches (grew up A/G, Church of God [Cleveland, TN]/Non-denom. [Pentecostal/Trinitarian]), best places to eat locally that have great service/food, anything at all you think we need to know.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 03:34 PM

873 posts, read 1,747,634 times
Springfield is the international headquarters of the Assembly of God so I believe you will be able to find a congregation somewhere.

There are many good vets. We use Sunshine Animal Hospital, but I had a really good experience not too long ago at the Emergency Veterinarian Clinic on Glenstone.

If my feelings towards dentists were put into words and the words solidified the result would dam the largest rivers in the world. I suppose by today's standards there must be good ones somewhere.

There is an extensive restaurant thread on this forum somewhere. Use the search feature. As a quick overview, there are a great many places that are very good, some that are interesting, many that offer excellent value, but few or none for really exceptional fine dining.

You may choose your doctors from either Mercy or Cox, and I suppose we are grateful to have that choice. However, your employer's insurance, if applicable, has likely chosen one or the other. Your choices will be further restricted by those who are not accepting new patients. Springfield is a major medical hub for a large region and there are many, many physicians.

Springfield is now surrounded by several suburban communities, all of which have their own advantages and disadvantages. You will want to look at a map and survey the distances and roads between your place of employment and potential neighborhoods both within Springfield and nearby communities.

Beyond that, a great many topics have lengthy threads within this very forum. Please take the time to select some of the topics that interest you, then come back here with your specific questions and concerns.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 PM

23 posts, read 23,089 times
I am following this as we will be moving in to the area within a year ourselves.
Can anyone tell us where the good vs bad areas are? Which areas to stay away from when looking for a home if we do end up in Springfield? Where is the highest vs lowest crime?
We are looking at Ozark, Nixa or any of the other communites.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:54 AM

357 posts, read 657,020 times
I encourage all "relocators" to view previous threads on this topic for a comprehensive review of common subjects of concern. From my experience, more specific questions garner equal replies.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:49 PM

87 posts, read 29,831 times
I'll cover what hasn't been addressed much yet.

Dental: Nunn at Sunshine Associates is great.

Restaurants: Recommended local ones are Flame (steak), Nicola's (Italian), Metropolitan Grill (Mediterranean), The Big Slice (pizza), Black Sheep (burgers), Aviary (French), Gailey's (breakfast), and Nakato (Japanese). For national chains, Cheddar's is easily the best.

The southeastern part is the nicest area in which to reside; try to find a place there. The northwestern part is more run-down. Nixa is a very nice suburb.

There are tons of parks. Definitely check out Nathanael Greene. Sequiota is nice, too. And Doling and Dan Kinney have some great facilities.

Genesis is a nice health club.

The Battlefield Mall can get quite crowded, but it's great to visit when it isn't packed.

Other things worth checking out: Dickerson Park Zoo, The Library Center, 1984 Arcade.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM

23 posts, read 23,089 times
I understand what you are saying about checking other posts but some are a few years old and things change quickly over time.
As we browse Trulia and Zillow for houses, to rent at first, it is hard to determine what is or is not a good area, which of these streets are considered in what school location. We do love the Nixa and Ozark towns. Have heard they have great schools.
We spent a day driving around, scoping places out but got turned around and confused so went to a park to play...lol..will do more days like that in the future to get a sense of where is or isnt a good area.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:45 PM

357 posts, read 657,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannebkr1965 View Post
I understand what you are saying about checking other posts but some are a few years old and things change quickly over time.
As we browse Trulia and Zillow for houses, to rent at first, it is hard to determine what is or is not a good area, which of these streets are considered in what school location. We do love the Nixa and Ozark towns. Have heard they have great schools.
We spent a day driving around, scoping places out but got turned around and confused so went to a park to play...lol..will do more days like that in the future to get a sense of where is or isnt a good area.
What did you find out from the replies to the thread you started?

Not many areas change, the most noticeable are new developments. The parts of town are the same. I still think you should buy in Republic ( I do not live there) and commute to the west Sunshine store.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,409 times
My Wife and I moved from a very expensive city in California(San Diego),to Springfield 14 years ago, as we actually got tired of the "Endless Summers " of California, and wanted to see the seasons change. We both have Midwest roots,as she was born in Chicago, moving with her family to Whittier Ca. for their Grandfathers health, and I was born up in St.Joseph, but relocated to Des Moines with my Mom and Dad, about the age of two.

After my two younger Brothers came along, my Father decided to relocate us to California about 1962,first to the middle of the State, and after a year, moving to San Diego.

We use the Cox heath care system, but I supposed Mercy's comparable in Doctors and skills. No complaints from me about the health care here.

Many Churches, Banks,and places to eat in this town, and Kansas City's not that far away for BBQ.

My Wife of 27 years is slowly fading away from terminal Cancer, she was diagnosed on August 23,2016 our 26 Anniversary. It's been a very enjoyable Marriage, no fights, or power struggles, just the comfort she was in the house, being it sewing or making another Quilt.

The Doctors had her do two rounds of Radiation, followed by at least 17 Opdivo Chemotherapy sessions, but the Cancers too aggressive, and now she's in Hospice care, being made as comfortable as can be. I doubt she'll survive very much longer, and dread the approaching Holiday Season, as she loved to decorate the Christmas tree and our house.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:00 PM

611 posts, read 575,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFolks View Post
My Wife and I moved from a very expensive city in California(San Diego),to Springfield 14 years ago, as we actually got tired of the "Endless Summers " of California, and wanted to see the seasons change. We both have Midwest roots,as she was born in Chicago, moving with her family to Whittier Ca. for their Grandfathers health, and I was born up in St.Joseph, but relocated to Des Moines with my Mom and Dad, about the age of two.

After my two younger Brothers came along, my Father decided to relocate us to California about 1962,first to the middle of the State, and after a year, moving to San Diego.

We use the Cox heath care system, but I supposed Mercy's comparable in Doctors and skills. No complaints from me about the health care here.

Many Churches, Banks,and places to eat in this town, and Kansas City's not that far away for BBQ.

My Wife of 27 years is slowly fading away from terminal Cancer, she was diagnosed on August 23,2016 our 26 Anniversary. It's been a very enjoyable Marriage, no fights, or power struggles, just the comfort she was in the house, being it sewing or making another Quilt.

The Doctors had her do two rounds of Radiation, followed by at least 17 Opdivo Chemotherapy sessions, but the Cancers too aggressive, and now she's in Hospice care, being made as comfortable as can be. I doubt she'll survive very much longer, and dread the approaching Holiday Season, as she loved to decorate the Christmas tree and our house.
How very touching your story. I might be moving to Springfield from KC and found this thread. Best to you with Peace.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:46 PM

186 posts, read 174,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFolks View Post

Blessings to you and to your wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or