Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 38,820 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the area north of Buffalo in a few months and am looking for any Jewish community in the area. I know there is a reform shul in Springfield. I am a observant conservative married woman and would love to meet others in the area (other women to socialize with) as I will be totally new to the area. Also is kosher food sold anywhere nearby or will I have to travel to KC / St Louis? I appreciate any input as I have been unable to find much information through other sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 8,504 times
Did you find any information on kosher food markets in Springfield? I am in Branson, and am needing to cook Rosh Hashanah dinner this weekend. Where can I find kosher meat?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I am reasonably familiar with the Jewish communities in the four state aea. There is no Conservative shul in the area. As far as I know you will not find Kosher meats. I've never seen meat labeled Kosher in the four state area except in Tulsa at Petty's in Utica Square. The only shul is behind Utica Square. I just checked with the owner before I sent this message.

Tulsa is a delightful city. Utica Square is very upscale. Follow i-44 to Tulsa and follow the signs toward Oklahoma City. I do not remember if you change to 1-40 to reach the Utica exit as it is on the far East side of Tulsa. If you are coming from Springfield, the exit is right to a Stoplight. You will turn left or South.

Then you will pass a couple of hospitals and medical buildings before your reach 21st and Utica Square. To me, this is a far more enjoyable trip than to St. Louis, and there is 1/8th the traffic. Sprinfield is about midway between Tulsa and St. Louis.

St.Louis or Kansas City would be the only other close options for Kosher meat, The St. Louis store I visit is Trader Joe's at Brentwood Exit off 60/41 (I-55) They do have a selection of natural meats, however, I do not know if any are Kosher. I did find three kosher grocers in St. Louis.

I did a quick search at Columbia and Fayetteville and came up empty. Krispy Kreme Donuts in AR are Kosher; and Kroger has a large selection of non-preishable products. These reviews were written by two Rabbis. You might find some non-preishables at Dillons on Sunshine.as it is owned by Kroger. Schnuck's has kosher breads in some of the stores.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by linicx; 09-15-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 07:02 PM

167 posts, read 451,499 times
some of the Price Cutters have Kosher foods in their international isle, and you might try the european market on south campbell (just north of James river expy)

Old 09-20-2009, 08:09 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I hope someone will post if they find Kosher closer than 200 miles.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,378 times
Is there a Jewish community in Springfield ,Mo? I see there is a temple but I was wondering if there are Jewish neighborhoods. thanks

Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,651 times
Default No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neighbortobe View Post
Is there a Jewish community in Springfield ,Mo? I see there is a temple but I was wondering if there are Jewish neighborhoods. thanks
Hi, I just moved to the Springfield area from St. Louis; and I can't seem to find a Jewish community. Yes, there is a Temple, but, it's not so good. I know relaxed but to me this borders on sacrilegious.

If you want to start a Jewish community, I'm all for it. I'm reform, but, I like the tradition that comes with respectful service.

All the best,
Cris
PS you can reach me at: [email]cris_robins@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 12,714 times
Well mama genes in Springfield has all organic meat its more expensive then the supermarket but its all natural.
I moved here 2 yrs ago I didnt even know there was a temple I've googled and asked around I haven't met one Jewish or Hebrew person I want to raise my kids with roots and tradition. If anyone is interested in meeting and supporting each other let me know. Where is the temple?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,714 times
Also price cutter has an international section w a kosher section its not the best selection but u can get motzo meal n stuff

Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
According to this website: Missouri there are only about 1600 Jews in all of Missouri outside St. Louis and Kansas City. If true, this suggests the possibility of Jewish neighborhoods anywhere outside those two cities is highly unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area