U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 4,661 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
First let me say that my wife and I have read hundreds and possibly thousands of threads here to answer the many questions we had. It helped us greatly !!

We are a family of four with a 4th grader and 1st grader. We will be moving to the area by the first part of July. We are from Michigan but have spent the last 3 years in D.C. because we knew it was our best path to get to the Springfield area. My wife has family in Kansas City, St Louis, and LOZ. Since I am a big outdoorsman and our family is much more country oriented than city, Springfield has been on our radar for quite some time. Now it's finally happening. Lastly, we have spent some time in the SW missouri area but not a ton.

We are currently looking at homes in the Willard, Rogersville, Ozark, Nixa, and Clever areas. We would like a few acres or more but we do not want it in an open field with no trees.

We do have a couple questions now:
#1. Are there any builders who may currently be building spec homes on 3 - 10 acres? Is there a website or something that may list current spec homes under construction? We have found several older homes that spark our interest but we have noticed that all the new construction has been on very small lots or there is not a tree in sight.

#2. This is a very specific question and it's related to Schools. Talking to a realtor recently she said that the Clever school district was " up and coming and has improved greatly " . She would not have recommended this school district area a few years ago apparently. Can we keep the Clever area on our list of acceptable schools for a good education for the kids. We don't need the absolute best schools but obviously they are a consideration.

Thank You so much for your time,

Paul
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,088,380 times
Paul

Try Fair Grove or Republic.

We live in Lebanon and Love it.15K Population, several Jobs, School is Good, can take College courses local, I'm Retired and like the YMCA, there is a Good Hospital.

Plenty of Hunting and Fishing close by. Can Float the Niangua River close by.

brushrunner

Old 02-28-2018, 12:40 PM

Thank You brushrunner. Fairgrove is an area we would definitely consider if a home that we like comes on the market there. Republic is also an area that we would consider but we worry that it might become to suburbanized for our liking.

Employment is in the SE corner of Springfield so that also plays a role in things.

We are heading to Springfield the last week of March to do some house hunting and check actual drive times to area towns during rush and hour such. I know it's not the best time of year to house hunt or experience summer traffic but that's what we have to work with at the moment. The kids get out of school June 15th here and we plan on being in Springfield by July 1st if all goes according to plan.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:58 PM

873 posts, read 1,749,166 times
Clever could be a tough commute to SE Springfield. All roads there lead to Nixa, and US 160 Mo. 14 in Nixa to the James River Freeway in South Springfield looks very like a parking lot a couple hours a day.

The distinctions between Springfield proper and Republic are becoming very blurred. If you want a more rural setting with easy access to SE Springfield the obvious choice is Ozark, but you should look at Rogersville, Strafford, Fair Grove, and all the points in between. Know that school boundaries and city boundaries are not contiguous.

It is hard for me to fairly describe any of the towns surrounding Springfield as "attractive". They may be great places to live, good places to raise a family, have lots of fine people, and have very nice neighborhoods, but none are lookers. Individual properties may be very, very attractive however.

Ozark is more like a small city than a town. There is a lot going on there these days. Fair Grove is more like a old time farm town than any community near Springfield. Rogersville and Strafford are almost entirely bedroom communities theses days.

Since I know Fair Grove very well, let me give you the best case: It is an easy commute to SE Springfield. It has also received some very good scores for its school from some of the organizations which provide those sort of ratings - if you trust them. It also offers some of the lowest housing costs in the Springfield market, both in absolute terms and when comparing like properties. The population is about 1,400 and has more services than one might expect - but do not look for a Wal-Mart Super Center any time soon. The biggest drawback is that most shopping and all medical services are on the opposite side of Springfield, some 30 minutes away.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:58 AM

265 posts, read 126,897 times
My daughter and her husband moved to Willard from Springfield and said the school district is much, much better. The school is way better than Springfield's schools. She has 2 sons 3rd grade and 5th grade. If you stay out of green county (springfield) your taxes will be lower.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:33 AM

357 posts, read 657,972 times
A contractor wants to maximize profits by constructing as many homes per square acre as allowable. This means the larger the lot the bigger the home. Existing 3-10 acre lots with medium sized homes are farms or remote locations with older homes.

Lots can be had for as little as 7k per acre. Laying utilities, "specing" a home and seeing the project through will take months.

Zillow and Trulia will give you an idea on where to look. The area home builders expo was in January. Using something similar to Emily's list to weed out shady contractors is the same as buying a car or purchasing insurance.

The education of your kids really amounts to what you want to pay (or not pay). If public schooling with middle and high honors programs are your thing then look at each districts site and trace the elementary, middle, high feeder matrix.

Private programs (religious and non) as as plentiful as placement in SPS' Choice Programs. Don't box yourself in by ranking individual school systems against each other unless your 100& sure you'll stay in one place and expect the faculty's quality will remain high for the next 11 years.

If you don't need the best, research and avoid the worst. By that I mean superintendent turnover, faculty and programs in the news for all the wrong reasons, how many incidents have occurred in the past five years, the amount of paras, PTA participants, volunteers, field trips and related outside the box activities that will enhance your offspring's learning experience and not be a series of tests and teaching of tests to meet fictitious benchmarks.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:04 PM

Good points. Thank you Vols44

Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 PM

23 posts, read 23,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
If you don't need the best, research and avoid the worst. By that I mean superintendent turnover, faculty and programs in the news for all the wrong reasons, how many incidents have occurred in the past five years, the amount of paras, PTA participants, volunteers, field trips and related outside the box activities that will enhance your offspring's learning experience and not be a series of tests and teaching of tests to meet fictitious benchmarks.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Hello
My husband is being transferred there this summer and we will be relocating from SE MO. Can you shed some light on how to go about doing this type of research? I have 3 adult grown children but we have adopted out grandkids and they will be in the 2nd and 4th grades next school year. We are still trying to figure out the 'worst' areas to avoid as well.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or