Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 11:15 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Not sure why they sent the boats out there with severe thunderstorms on the way.
Pure stupidity likely mixed with a good dose of greed. The boat operators knew the storms were coming and changed the route of the tour to try and beat them. Instead of observing common sense and caution for the safety of their customers they blatantly chose to risk it, and then they told the people they wouldn't need their life jackets on top of it all.

Those duck boats are not designed to function in heavy marine weather. They're old military vehicles with flotation devices bolted on. No doubt the operators were aware of this.

The company should be forced out of business and ordered to pay every asset they have to the families of the victims. There is no excuse for this. Innocent people are dead because of their egregious recklessness. They need to be made an example of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 05:09 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Pure stupidity likely mixed with a good dose of greed. The boat operators knew the storms were coming and changed the route of the tour to try and beat them. Instead of observing common sense and caution for the safety of their customers they blatantly chose to risk it, and then they told the people they wouldn't need their life jackets on top of it all.

Those duck boats are not designed to function in heavy marine weather. They're old military vehicles with flotation devices bolted on. No doubt the operators were aware of this.

The company should be forced out of business and ordered to pay every asset they have to the families of the victims. There is no excuse for this. Innocent people are dead because of their egregious recklessness. They need to be made an example of.
Also, unless they were out completely in the middle of nowhere, there should have been enough of a reception to receive radar on mobile devices that would have clearly depicted the storms within the vicinity. I can be literally in the middle of nowhere 15 miles from a state highway by the UP of Michigan and still have the radar app on my phone work perfectly fine.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:26 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Also, unless they were out completely in the middle of nowhere, there should have been enough of a reception to receive radar on mobile devices that would have clearly depicted the storms within the vicinity. I can be literally in the middle of nowhere 15 miles from a state highway by the UP of Michigan and still have the radar app on my phone work perfectly fine.
Like I said, they knew the storms were coming. I read that they changed the usual course of the tour in order to try and get it in before the weather arrived. They had probably already received the patrons money and didn't want to refund it. Why else would they risk that?

I'm no avid mariner, but even I know enough not to take a craft onto a body of water - and Table Rock is no small body of water - when any sort of heavy weather is in the vicinity. A survivor also reported they were told life jackets wouldn't be necessary, even though they were available. Gee, where have we heard something similar to that before?......oh yeah, Titanic!

Reckless beyond belief.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:31 AM

836 posts, read 1,256,163 times
I'm wondering: Would the wearing - by those aboard the boat - of life jackets have saved at least some of the 17 that perished? Or would that not have made a difference, in light of private investigator Steve Paul's assessment from last year that found numerous faults with various aspects of the duck boat's design?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area