Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,150 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I live in the Lake of The Ozarks area and I have noticed my electric bills seem high. We live in a 2 bedroom 1000 sq ft apartment. We have 3 people living there, 2 who are home most of the day and 1 is gone during the day and home in the evenings. We live on the top floor of a 2 story with a basement. We usually keep the thermostat around 72 during the day and around 70 at night. We have standard appliances in the kitchen nothing that drains large amounts of energy. We have pretty standard entertainment options, no surround sound or anything like that. Our home does not get heated by the sun and we have room darkening shades in the bedrooms and standard blinds in the other rooms. The apartment is pretty standard as far as insulation and no leaks in windows or doors that would cause electricity draws. We don't even usually have the lights on during the day because enough light comes in the home that we don't need to use lighting. We have standard entertainment equipment of tvs and 1 dvr. We don't have any extra entertainment features which might cause big power draws of surround sound or anything like that. We just received our bill for Aug and KWH usage is 2202. The previous months usage was 2097. The overall usage since January is over 13,000. Does anyone know if this is high usage of the size of the apartment? Is there a way to tell if someone is tapping into our line? Who would I report this too? What is average usage for a family of 3? What is average usage for 1000 sq ft apartment? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 11:19 AM

6,771 posts, read 11,399,414 times
Leaving a thermostat on 72 during the cooling season seems extremely low (cold) to me. I keep mine between 76 and 78 in summer and 69 in the winter. Do you have an electric stove? Hot water heater? Dryer? Those are big energy users, not lamps.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:22 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,667,615 times
Request an electrical audit from your power company.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1012 View Post
Hi,
I live in the Lake of The Ozarks area and I have noticed my electric bills seem high. We live in a 2 bedroom 1000 sq ft apartment. We have 3 people living there, 2 who are home most of the day and 1 is gone during the day and home in the evenings. We live on the top floor of a 2 story with a basement. We usually keep the thermostat around 72 during the day and around 70 at night. We have standard appliances in the kitchen nothing that drains large amounts of energy. We have pretty standard entertainment options, no surround sound or anything like that. Our home does not get heated by the sun and we have room darkening shades in the bedrooms and standard blinds in the other rooms. The apartment is pretty standard as far as insulation and no leaks in windows or doors that would cause electricity draws. We don't even usually have the lights on during the day because enough light comes in the home that we don't need to use lighting. We have standard entertainment equipment of tvs and 1 dvr. We don't have any extra entertainment features which might cause big power draws of surround sound or anything like that. We just received our bill for Aug and KWH usage is 2202. The previous months usage was 2097. The overall usage since January is over 13,000. Does anyone know if this is high usage of the size of the apartment? Is there a way to tell if someone is tapping into our line? Who would I report this too? What is average usage for a family of 3? What is average usage for 1000 sq ft apartment? Thanks for the help!
I've had similar issues with the electric companies. If you have your microwave plugged up I'm cell phone chargers plugged up whether they're charging your phone or not clocks plugged up that you don't really use all of that will cause electricity to go up but you should go down to the electric service company and ask for itemized printout that way you can see exactly what you're using each day and on the days that it's higher if there's no one at home to be using more electricity then maybe you should note that and keep track of that for a little bit and see how that goes the one that you would report it to would be the police because you have to make a police report of someone stealing your electricity because that's a felony and then you go to the electric company afterwards good luck in getting anything taken care of so cuz it's a lot of time consuming for you

Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 AM

224 posts, read 292,705 times
I just happened to notice your thread. 2000 + kwh in a month is high. We use about 600 or so here in Michigan in a large house. As noted above, have the power company check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area