U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 1,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfaulkos View Post
Honestly, the area is totally depressing. If you have anything going for you at all, you’ll probably fall into despair because there is limited opportunity for personal growth and new experiences. It’s easier to enjoy personal privacy in a large cosmopolitan area than in a decaying rural area. Once you move here, you’ll find it very hard to escape because you’ll fall behind financially due to stagnant real estate prices. Forget about capital gains and quality construction of homes. You’ll spend a fortune upgrading and repairing your house. Most homes have bad crawl space foundations that fill with water, resulting in high humidity and mold problems year round. It’s disgusting. The natives here are used to it, but it’s awful. And the sun rarely shines. There is no good reason to move here, not even to die.
I got depressed just reading your summation of SW Missouri. Fortunately, I live in Greene County, and the housing prices are strong, the sun shines in the appropriate months, and 4 houses later, I've never had a wet crawlspace. maybe I'm lucky, maybe I had a better home inspector.
in any case, SW MO has been my home for about 35 years now (from Central IL) and I like it well. The little things I don't like are my personal petty problems (like all the billboards-ACK).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 12:06 PM

1,481 posts, read 985,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreenOfLane View Post
I got depressed just reading your summation of SW Missouri. Fortunately, I live in Greene County, and the housing prices are strong, the sun shines in the appropriate months, and 4 houses later, I've never had a wet crawlspace. maybe I'm lucky, maybe I had a better home inspector.
in any case, SW MO has been my home for about 35 years now (from Central IL) and I like it well. The little things I don't like are my personal petty problems (like all the billboards-ACK).
Moved her from Southern California 38 years ago, hated it because 1. Moved here during winter and it seemed to snow every single day. 2. Was homesick... now it’s home and made a good life, husband started a business, built a home on 25 acres, put two kids through college and made good friends. Like anywhere, there will be pros and cons no matter where you live, my daughter now lives in a big city and misses living in the country, doesn’t like dealing with traffic as well. You have poverty and depressive conditions everywhere.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:37 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,024,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Moved her from Southern California 38 years ago, hated it because 1. Moved here during winter and it seemed to snow every single day. 2. Was homesick... now it’s home and made a good life, husband started a business, built a home on 25 acres, put two kids through college and made good friends. Like anywhere, there will be pros and cons no matter where you live, my daughter now lives in a big city and misses living in the country, doesn’t like dealing with traffic as well. You have poverty and depressive conditions everywhere.
The Southern Quarter of Missouri has great weather most of the year. Sure, the winter can get cold and snowy on occasion but generally it's very mild when compared to St. Louis for example.

Down there usually snow doesn't stick long and a few days later it's gone. Lots of days in far southern Missouri in the winter the temps get well into the 60s and 70s compared to St. Louis.

My uncle used to have a lake house at Bull Shoals just a few miles from AR and it would never stay cold for long there.

Of course more violate weather like tornadoes and ice storms in southern MO though.

When you think of it southern Missouri winter weather is mostly end of Dec thru early Feb. Each winter since I've left MO seems to keep getting warmer, even St. Louis a very warm winter.

Here in SWFL VERY warm winter. Most of winter has been more like Oct and Nov temps here. Now we are having mid May weather for the rest of the month.

I can see why people are retiring to the southern quarter of Missouri like Branson, Springfield, Table Rock. Many don't want the heat and humidity of South Florida BUT also don't want bad and cold winter weather.

The winter weather in far southern MO is tolerable most of the time. Not a lot of snow to shovel and usually a coat will do and a lot of the time you can still do stuff outside. Same way with people who retire to TN as well. Winter can get cold, but it's tolerable but a bit cooler in the summer in the higher elevations than FL. In fact some here in FL move to eastern TN or the Ozarks because they're getting tired of the hotter and hotter summers but winter still gives changes of season but just not brutal cold like the northeast.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:02 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,366,866 times
Smile So Cal to SW MO and loving it still! <3

Quote:
Hi, Tottsieanna! You said that so well!

We moved here from SoCal 14 years ago and you're right, there are pros and cons no matter where you live. While we have had some difficult adjustments, we have NEVER wanted to move back to CA. EVER. Ha!

Both of us were born and raised there but when we got here, we felt like we had come home...in spite of the cons that always come and go. We loved it there for most of our lives but it has gotten more crazy as each year passes. There aren't many Californians who know the peace that we have found here in Missouri. That is worth so much to us!

One of our goals was to move within a half-hour drive of a large enough city to support work and we live NE of Ozark and therefore perfect! On the other hand, we get to live in the country and enjoy that lifestyle. Let me just add that Ozark has a lot to offer, too...but for some things, Springfield is the only option. Thankfully, I have never needed to go farther than that.

Old Today, 06:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,366,866 times
Thumbs up So Cal to SW MO and loving it still! <3

Quote:
Hi, Tottsieanna! You said that so well!

We moved here from SoCal 14 years ago and you're right, there are pros and cons no matter where you live. While we have had some difficult adjustments, we have NEVER wanted to move back to CA. EVER. Ha!

Both of us were born and raised there but when we got here, we felt like we had come home...in spite of the cons that always come and go. We loved it there for most of our lives but it has gotten more crazy as each year passes. There aren't many Californians who know the peace that we have found here in Missouri. That is worth so much to us!

One of our goals was to move within a half-hour drive of a large enough city to support work and we live NE of Ozark and therefore perfect! On the other hand, we get to live in the country and enjoy that lifestyle. Let me just add that Ozark has a lot to offer, too...but for some things, Springfield is the only option. Thankfully, I have never needed to go farther than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or